• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Just a general observation. With the threat of rioters throwing Molotov cocktails, I need to bump up my fire extinguisher cache. We already have one in the garage, furnace room, and kitchen.

What works best for a firebomb in the living room?

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    What works best for a firebomb in the living room?

An escape plan.

Your standard class ABC dry chem extinguisher would be your best bet if you had to use one. If you can get to it quickly a 5 pound extinguisher would be sufficient. If you can’t get to it quickly get out. Fire spreads very fast in a room with soft furnishings and gets very hot in no time. With an accelerant hitting a couch you could be in flashover conditions in less than 2 minutes. Flash overs are very deadly to firefighters in full gear and on SCBA you would have virtually no chance of survival without gear and SCBA.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I know that for a petroleum based fire, a "Purple K" fire extinguisher is used. Ive seen them on ships and at airfields. If a fire is started with a Molotov cocktail in your house I don't know if a standard ABC fire extinguisher might be better once your house is burning.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You’d basically need one in hand/one behind every door. As Parttimer indicated, something like a fire started by a large amount of accelerant you’d have perhaps a couple minutes to get it out or vacate. That’s at best. Probably you’d be overwhelmed by smoke trying to fight the fire in 60 seconds or less. It’s not a grease fire in the stove that might take a couple or a few minutes to spread to the ceiling, cabinets, walls and travel that way. Or an electrical fire that is going to slowly spread through the wall.

And you’d have no realistic chance of extinguishing an exterior fire.

Really if a number of people are working hard to set fire to the place you are in, you need to find a new place to be in. As you would need to neutralize the people set on arson while also fighting the fire(s).

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    This a great post. Years ago, I saved my garage from a fire with an extinguisher immediately.
    For some reason I do not have one anywhere. I will remedy that.
    Plus you might use one instead of a weapon to push leftists away from your property.

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Expert here. I teach Fire Extinguisher use all the time.

ABC dry chem is an excellent extinguishing agent for all scenarios you describe. Its inexpensive, very messy, and not toxic. Maybe a minor mucus tissue irritant. You will cough a lot if you discharge inside and stay inside as the powder is very fine and hangs in the air a good while.

A 3 lb unit for home use can knock down a fair bit of fire very fast but in a flammable liquid fire I would prefer 5-10 lbs as the liquid can spread out or splash on impact and create a larger area of fire than a traditional point ignition fire scenario.
    DO NOT BUY a BC rated unit. always ABC rated.

Home Depot units are fine.

To Use:
    ***Make sure a means of escape is at your back if shit goes south...or more south than what you started with

*Check gauge for green
    *Make sure no obstructions to nozzle or damage to hose if equipped... just a quick look
    *Pull pin
    *Aim at BASE OF FLAMES
    *Squeeze the handle fully
    *Sweep back and forth quickly the full width of the fire putting agent on the material that is burning not aiming at the flames

Release handle anytime to stop agent flow. You are in control
    After initial application stop check conditions and continue application if there is still visible flame

Questions?

Last edited:

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County

Attachments

• Well Said.png
      Well Said.png
      8.5 KB · Views: 267

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I keep one at the front door, one in the hallway upstairs and the one in the kitchen is by the door. I don't want my extinguisher by the stove, because that's the most likely place for a kitchen fire and if it's big I won't be able to get to the extinguisher.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I know that for a petroleum based fire, a "Purple K" fire extinguisher is used. Ive seen them on ships and at airfields. If a fire is started with a Molotov cocktail in your house I don't know if a standard ABC fire extinguisher might be better once your house is burning.

Those are for grease fires and kitchen application. Class B is for flammable liquid pool fires.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Purple K is a better agent than used in standard dry chemical extinguishers, but it comes at a cost. it can be much harder to clean up. And it is very corrosive.

Standard dry chemical is basically sodium bicarbonate. Just vacuum up the residue.

Race cars have gone to AFFF based system. Water with an additive that makes foam. Works very well for flammable liquids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom