• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I don't know what it is. The $300 +/- $100 price point for a durable and reliable firearm. The satisfaction of working a shotgun pump action in how it further connects you to the firearm by making the user a part of the mechanism. Or the pleasure of the 12-gauge blast - sure there can be recoil - but the sheer boom which is distinct from the sharp report of a rifle round, the rush of hot gasses from the receiver and flame from muzzle, as well as the overall theatrics that culminate with the ejection of the shell and escape of gunsmoke - just wow.

I came to 12-gauge pumps late. A picture of the pair that I have is at the bottom. I particularly like the Mossberg 500, which I bought after advice in a previous thread. Now I feel myself drawn to another. There's no articulable need, but just a slow burning want that I've been trying to suppress, thinking about the holes in my current collection (a bolt action in 308 or a similar longer distance with a 80 gr or larger bullet). It's stupid because I don't have sufficient range time for other firearms that I have. I often try to sell firearms to feel less conflicted about buying new ones as well as open up space. While it gets harder and harder to pick which ones to sell (contemplating selling a Henry lever but that's about it), I've likely sold more than I've purchased this year in terms of dollar amounts.

When I buy a firearm, I try to look at the following. Will it or could it have a practical use and whether it is well suited for the task (e.g. fits me well, reliable, etc)? Will it be easy to operate and maintain with my occasional use? Is the price justified? Is it fun to use or does it have aesthetic appeal? I'll of course sacrifice aesthetic appeal for function and practical utility.

So I've been cruising sales for these three pumps that are all close to $300. I'm aware of the possible maintenance issues with the Remington 870s vs Mossberg 500/590 line thanks to Chad's excellent posts.

1) Another Mossberg 500. Exact model that I already have. I like it that much. It has just the right amount of heft to handle recoil and feels very comfortable for me. It is a pleasure to shoot and I like the sight system. It has suppressed my desire to get the slightly beefier/heavier 590A1(which costs slightly more). Getting another gives me redundancy in case there ever is a problem, and a consistent platform to train with (time dependent). I can find it for $300 not including transfer, shipping, taxes, etc.

2) A used Remington 870 Police Magnum. These have sporadic availability. I nearly made an order today with synthetic furniture that would be $330 shipped. I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster in 20-gauge which has the smoothest mechanism. I feel it could round out my "HD" shotgun collection that already has a Mossberg and Turkish Winchester. (as an aside, I would love an old Winchester Model 12, but don't want to spend that much money for a new addition)

3) A Remington 870 Express Hardwood Home Defense. These can be found for $330 shipped. Like option 1), it comes with an extended mag tube. I might upgrade the extractor and magazine tube spring (inexpensive upgrades) but would leave the plastic trigger guard. I've read that the finish on these might be more prone to rust than the finish on the Police Magnums or Wingmasters, but I like the wood furniture. Here's a pic ...

2147972.jpg

Thanks for reading. I don't need another, right? :)
    6d7252546bd02e13243b1c6d24732cc8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'm choosing door number 2.

Had an older and like new police magnum fifteen years or so ago.

A thing of beauty and damn fine craftsmanship.

Another gun I regret getting rid of.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I think you've got all bases pretty well covered from a practicality standpoint. I'd probably opt for the 870 Express if I had to pick only from among those three, though.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Number two.

No replicas needed. There’s a reason that every farmer with a pickup had an 870 in the back. There’s also a reason that every podunk PD and county Sheriff dept has had mostly Remington 870s. It is what I was trained on in MLE school. It’s what we used exclusively for boardings.

I have a lovely FN SLP, a lovely Benelli M1Super 90 and my police model 870. None are accidental choices. Each has its place in my scheme.

Good luck.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Well since you have the 500, I'd say find yourself a nice 870. Variety is good right? Old police trade in guns are great when available; I have one and like it. That said my next would be a 590 to compliment the 870.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    I have (or have had) at least one 500 & 870 (CIA, FBI, DNC or wife may read this, so I can't be too specific). :innocent0 I've found the 500 to be so very modifiable. I think that there are a lot more, lower priced barrels, stocks & accessories available for the 500. Actually, I don't think I've had any pump kept in the original conformation. :lol2: It's fun to change barrels, forends, stocks, and such, weekly. :roll eyes: Man, do those top fold stocks transmit recoil!:tdown:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    OP mentions "a consistent platform to train with." There's much to be said for this consideration.

Just as an example, I own the Winchester Model 12, the Mossberg 500, and the Remington 870. I was exposed to these 3 shotguns in that order, but I hunt and shoot with the Mossberg more frequently.

Of note is that the safety on the Winchester is located in front of the trigger guard. On the Mossberg, it's on the tang. On the Remington, it's behind the trigger guard.

From strictly an upland game hunting perspective, where you have a sense of urgency and immediate surprise with a rabbit suddenly rolling out, or with a bird flushing, where quick shots are sometimes required? I've absolutely found myself momentarily fumbling for a safety that "wasn't there".

That's but one byproduct of interchanging shotguns, or firearms generally for that matter. To Fidelity's mention, such concerns are real, and are not always obvious, until they become obvious.

With any firearm that will also serve as your home defense choice, there's a whole lot to be said for both repetition and redundancy. That's especially true given stakes that are no longer about fast flushing rabbits and birds.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I say go for an older 870 Wingmaster. 12 Gauge.

... There’s a reason that every farmer with a pickup had an 870 in the back. There’s also a reason that every podunk PD and county Sheriff dept has had mostly Remington 870s. It is what I was trained on in MLE school. It’s what we used exclusively for boardings...

For the wildcard, a used Winchester 1200/ 1400 .

Well since you have the 500, I'd say find yourself a nice 870. Variety is good right? Old police trade in guns are great when available; I have one and like it. That said my next would be a 590 to compliment the 870.

Consider a m97, worth the extra 175+. Unless your dead set for the newer designs.

I just took a Maverick 88 security model on trade today as a deal sweetener. Glad I did. Good to have a short pump shotgun again.

... I've found the 500 to be so very modifiable. I think that there are a lot more, lower priced barrels, stocks & accessories available for the 500. ...

OP mentions "a consistent platform to train with." There's much to be said for this consideration.

Of note is that the safety on the Winchester is located in front of the trigger guard. On the Mossberg, it's on the tang. On the Remington, it's behind the trigger guard.

With any firearm that will also serve as your home defense choice, there's a whole lot to be said for both repetition and redundancy. That's especially true given stakes that are no longer about fast flushing rabbits and birds.

Appreciate all the thoughtful comments. One reason I've consulted the MDS brain trust once again. Nnztg8r and Uncle Duke, both of your perspectives and shared insights are terrific. Thank you.

Doco Overboard, the M97 is a cool gun! Slam fire capable I'm guessing. Norinco also used to make a shorter barrel riot gun version. An original might be something to get in the future, along with a Model 12.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I wish Remington had the safety where Mossberg has them. To me the Remington just handles better. Probably cause I grew up shooting them and never got close to the amount of shells I put through one compared to the Mossbergs. :D

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I wish Remington had the safety where Mossberg has them. To me the Remington just handles better. Probably cause I grew up shooting them and never got close to the amount of shells I put through one compared to the Mossbergs. :D

I usually leave safeties off. I don't like them in general. I suppose it would be different if I hunted (something I need to fix!). In part I was soliciting advice because the 870 PM availability in good condition can be variable. I'll probably move on one vs keep dithering. I'm sure if the desire arises again that I can find another Mossberg 500 in the configuration that I want without an issue.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I'd buy all 3:thumbsup:

I too love pump shotguns, I have Mossbergs and 870s, probably 12 or so, and want to buy another all the time....I say,... buy my brother, buy.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom