Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns

Join MD Shooters

Old July 2nd, 2018, 01:21 PM #1

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Current (2018) 9mm defensive ammo

I've been out of the loop on this for a while. What is the current thinking on top performing 9mm defensive ammo? This will be for a Glock 19. Any hot new rounds in the last few years or just pick a quality JHP and go with it?

If you must make a compromise to carry a concealed handgun, compromise on fashion, not the firearm.
joppaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2018, 01:24 PM #2
Reformed Pig Dropper

Reformed Pig Dropper

Many fans of Federal HST's and Speer Gold Dots.
I'm an Underwood w/Gold Dot fan for their heat (+P+)
Old July 2nd, 2018, 01:33 PM #3
I need more stamps

I need more stamps

I use 147gr. Federal HST. Couldn't tell you if it's any better than Gold dots or similar, but it's what I have and what I've trained with.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 01:39 PM #4
Pro Pizza Eater

Pro Pizza Eater

Hornady Critical Defense is what I use, and gets a lot of attention.
d33rhunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2018, 01:52 PM #5
JMB fan club

JMB fan club

I'm still using HPR Black Ops. Its very impressive in a gel block, but unfortunately they went out of business

ETA; I have a bunch of it and dont get into gun fights very often so I guess I'll be using it for a while
engineerbrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2018, 01:55 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppaj View Post
I've been out of the loop on this for a while. What is the current thinking on top performing 9mm defensive ammo? This will be for a Glock 19. Any hot new rounds in the last few years or just pick a quality JHP and go with it?
*****I use Federal HST in my Glock 19's. I use the 19 for home defense with a light/laser combo until I can get to the room with the AR's, which have uhhh... different ammo..

There is a lot of information out there regarding ballistics for Federal, Winchester, and Speer as a defensive round. They are all really good choices for home defense. I hope never to have to see how well they work in real life, but am confident based on all of the real world available data out there that any of the above mentioned are good choices.

Funny story here in MoCo. My HOA reps were in the Rockville courthouse this past week for the sentencing of our former property manager for embezzlement of funds over a period of years. She got 20 years (it was a LOT of money...), and as she was being led away in handcuffs to her new home in Hagerstown (I think.. or Jessup), her husband AND son start yelling at some of the HOA people who came to the sentencing that "You're NEXT!!!!" and making some very threatening gestures, profanities, etc... One of the HOA employees is an acquaintance of mine from the gym, and he said (I kid you not..) "OMG, he threatened ALL of us!!!, I'm gonna have a security camera system put in my home for safety!!!" I guess he feels safer knowing there will be a record of how he and his family were attacked and possibly killed by folks that just threatened him... He's a super liberal guy, and it amazed me that he didn't even think about self defense like pepper spray, an attack Yorkie or Poodle, or God forbid, a GUN...

It's a totally different mindset. "The Police will arrest him if he tries anything at my house! I have video footage!!!" Welcome to MoCo! "We have video footage!!!"
MaxVO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2018, 02:05 PM #7
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Hornady CD's for me.

But on that sidebar ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxVO2 View Post
It's a totally different mindset. "The Police will arrest him if he tries anything at my house! I have video footage!!!" Welcome to MoCo! "We have video footage!!!"
Attached Images

Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2018, 02:06 PM #8

I use Hornady Critical Defense and Federal HST. May only concern is muzzle flash at night. I though there was brand out there that had little to no flash (When compared to others), but I can't remember the name.
TexDefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2018, 02:20 PM #9
For great Justice

For great Justice

Nothing really groundbreaking in the last few years, other than agencies generally shifting back to 9mm from larger calibers. I have always found heavy, non +p loads have the least flash/noise, little velocity loss in short barrels, and the top penetration numbers with good expansion. I initially went with the least expensive 50rd packaged, prevelent and available 147gr from a major manufacturer with good test data and frequent LE use, so Federal HSTs. Being I always run a couple boxes through any new pistol before I carry it, and practice with carry ammo that I rotate out, it would cost a lot to get the same experience with another brand or model, so no reason to change unless something truly great comes along.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2018, 02:45 PM #10
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

They're using G19's now right?
Seems like they would've done enough research to make this a good choice.

Quote:
Hornady has been awarded a Fixed Price Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) agreement with the Federal Bureau of Investigation for its 9mm+P Luger 135 gr. FlexLock Critical Duty ammunition.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/news/horn...#ixzz5K7lSGa1z

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: Itís the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a personís heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns