Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old July 11th, 2018, 02:15 PM #51
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not sure this isn't a moderate position worth supporting. It's only the most partisan of Democratically run states that do not honor or issue carry permits without requiring people to be special in some way.

Also, what are the "Women's rights" you refer to? There's women on the political right, including here in MD. Who's taking their rights?
DC-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 02:40 PM #52
Free At Last!!

Free At Last!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsg View Post
Is for a moderate position I could support. I am all in for the 2A, but I reject infringing on Women's rights. Why can't we let everyone live and let live? Why does electing politicians who are for the 2nd, mean they are against liberal social policies that let people live their damned lives as they see fit...

Can't we deal with the issues one by one... I hate conservatives for their positions based on obsolete religious views, and I hate liberals for wanting to limit my rights to live a lawful life and not doing anyone any harm...

Sigh... sucks to be in the middle... But Molon labe...

Niels
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-W View Post
I'm not sure this isn't a moderate position worth supporting. It's only the most partisan of Democratically run states that do not honor or issue carry permits without requiring people to be special in some way.
Also, what are the "Women's rights" you refer to? There's women on the political right, including here in MD. Who's taking their rights?
Niels can chime in if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he's talking about abortion but is afraid to use the word. In my experience, those who defend abortion using such terms without actually using the word abortion lack any real conviction or have defensible, logical arguments. I'm pretty sure this thread is about to turn into a shit show.
Welcome to the board, Neils. Great first post.
Gizmo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 02:50 PM #53
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsg View Post
Is for a moderate position I could support. I am all in for the 2A, but I reject infringing on Women's rights. Why can't we let everyone live and let live? Why does electing politicians who are for the 2nd, mean they are against liberal social policies that let people live their damned lives as they see fit...

Can't we deal with the issues one by one... I hate conservatives for their positions based on obsolete religious views, and I hate liberals for wanting to limit my rights to live a lawful life and not doing anyone any harm...

Sigh... sucks to be in the middle... But Molon labe...
One could argue (and my wife certainly has) that Trump IS the guy on the right(er) side of things that we've been long waiting for in that regard. Yes, for keeping-the-base-together-for-getting-elected-reasons, he's given some campaign-season lip service to the wishes of the dwindling hardcore religious types. But he's no evangelical, and seems blissfully free of allowing that sort of throwback orthodoxy to cloud his more practical pursuit of getting useful things done.

His stance on Roe v Wade is oriented more around the fact it was a clumsily constructed and arguably unconstitutional bit of awkwardness that should be back in the hands of state legislatures (and, ideally, congress). I don't think he's actually a personal crank on the topic of a woman a few weeks pregnant grappling with that issue. Regardless, Trump knows it's OK to signal his (very common) general distaste for abortion (especially of the late-term variety) while recognizing that pretty much any new SCOTUS member he seats will leave it well enough alone for all the obvious reasons.

I don't think Trump gives a rat's ass about anyone's sexual orientation, but he's willing to listen to military brass and bean counters on the sensibility of taking on the logistical and medical expense ramifications of inviting onto the DoD budget someone who is essentially stating, "As soon as I'm signed up, I'm looking for the taxpayers to pony up for tens of thousands of dollars worth of surgery and a lifetime of drugs." Looking out for the orderliness and rational budget concerns of the DoD is NOT NOT NOT the same as being a medieval-minded religious scold on the subject generally. One might recall that he was on the record supporting gay marriage long before either the Clintons OR Obama changed their stance on the matter.

In many ways, Trump is exactly the socially moderate, "normal person" that many more contemporary GOP and libertarian-minded folks have been desperate to see shake up the stuck-in-the-mud conservatives that need to get off the one-note religious fixations and focus on liberty, fiscal rationality, defense, and the rest without constantly signaling their urge to run the place like a theocracy. I'm very glad those voices are fading right along with Tammy Faye Baker's mascara - they're one of the reasons the insane left was able to get broad traction over the last 30 years, and the existence of those puritanical voices on the right is one of the only reasons that the left's current scare tactics about Roe and the rest sound plausible to the low-information public. The religious end of the right is STILL GIVING AMMO to the left on that subject, and thus making fights over things like immigration and 2A harder for us all.

Yes, real life in elections means sometimes we choose strange bedfellows. Whatever unease I have with some of the fringe-ish hard right religious types, we can all get along better than I could ever get along with the vanishingly small number of mostly-sensible people that accidentally find themselves on the D side. Nice to see the "#WalkAway" movement making headway there, that's for sure.

Last edited by Occam; July 11th, 2018 at 04:03 PM.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 03:59 PM #54
Crank in the Third Row

Crank in the Third Row

I think that sums up the way a lot of us here feel. There's just too much ramming "MUH FEELZ" down everyone's throat the last half decade. Hopefully moderation and real tolerance (NOT virtue signaling) will become fashionable again.

Clint Eastwood: “I tried being reasonable, I didn’t like it”
Dark to Light; sheep no more. WWG1WGA
#MorePatriotsThanHandcuffs
BeoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 04:27 PM #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I'm not sure how this one slipped by but it lays out a well reasoned and well written argument for fewer restrictions on CCW in Maryland.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opi...705-story.html
A most excellent piece written well by someone who actually "gets it". I would only add to it that because Maryland has such laws that severely restrict law abiding citizens, and do not properly address criminal activity, per se, logic would dictate that the Maryland legislative and judicial systems actually "aid and abet" unlawful criminal/felonious activity and should therefore be prosecuted to the fullest extent of state and federal law for doing so.
MSP Security Guard/P.I. Instructor
NRA Endowment Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Pers. Protection in the Home Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Maryland Designated Collector
ClassIII Department Head at Berwyn Rod and Gun Club
MSI Executive Member
Total Proponent of the Second Ammendment
Total Proponent of God-Given Right to Self Defense
bobb10010x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 04:33 PM #56
In a State of Denial

In a State of Denial

Alas, the only way forward for those of us in MD is creating a solid 5-4 SCOTUS majority, then the case currently in Federal District Court goes to the 4CA where the liberal Obama majority will repeat Woollard, then with the new circuit split, and with a Petition for Cert and if it’s granted, then we finally get a 5-4 or 6-3 Constitutional majority who rules carry outside the home is an enumerated right .

Then and only then will MD be dragged kicking and screaming to the altar of freedom .
Old July 11th, 2018, 04:41 PM #57
Domestic Tourist

Send a message via AIM to Rack&Roll
Domestic Tourist

Send a message via AIM to Rack&Roll
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
Alas, the only way forward for those of us in MD is creating a solid 5-4 SCOTUS majority, then the case currently in Federal District Court goes to the 4CA where the liberal Obama majority will repeat Woollard, then with the new circuit split, and with a Petition for Cert and if it’s granted, then we finally get a 5-4 or 6-3 Constitutional majority who rules carry outside the home is an enumerated right .

Then and only then will MD be dragged kicking and screaming to the altar of freedom .
Troof, dat!

How did Illinois and DC get CCW before MD? The courts.
Rack&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 04:43 PM #58
In a State of Denial

In a State of Denial

The only path left for us in the “Free State “

Sad
Old July 11th, 2018, 05:39 PM #59
Banned

Banned

Umm, welcome new guy. Head on over to the introductions forum and, well, introduce yourself. Then follow the advice that will be given.
Adolph Oliver Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 07:20 PM #60
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo98 View Post
I'm pretty sure this thread is about to turn into a shit show.
Oh i hope not. So little positive 2A stuff going on in maryland.

I like to think about the idea of the Sun running a severely pro 2A op-ed TWICE!

Last edited by Adolph Oliver Bush; July 11th, 2018 at 07:21 PM. Reason: .
Adolph Oliver Bush is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues