Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old July 11th, 2018, 06:47 AM #11
aka R56 Ed

aka R56 Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossmanPJ View Post
I love my Mark IV. No complaints. It is stupid easy to take down and way faster to clean than the previous generations. Damn accurate too.
Same here. To the OP, I guess it depends on how you feel about the MKII. Although it functioned and shot flawlessly, I had a Mark III that I never shot after the initial break-in period because it was such a PITA to disassemble and clean. Even after I got the hang of it, it was a PITA. For me, having a gun that I didn't want to shoot because of that was a good enough reason to get rid of it to upgrade. Heck, I hated the first one so much I almost gave it away on trade. YMMV.
Old July 11th, 2018, 07:04 AM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohen cepel View Post
I would not let a MkII go to get a IV. Maybe a III for the IV since I don't like the lawyer stuff added to the III and it still has the annoying takedown.
I removed the LCI and replaced it with the Tandemkross blank.

https://www.tandemkross.com/LCI-Repl...245-_p_62.html

I also installed the tandemkross hammer bushing. This makes it a little easier to disassemble and removes the mag disconnect lawyer feature.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Steel-Ha...stols_p_9.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoppe View Post
Just a thought if you want to stick with the MK II - I installed a Majestic Arms speed strip kit which lets pull the lock pin out with an allen wrench, can always be reversed if you decide to sell later and want it back to original format. I have a MK III but it also apparently works for the Mk I or II. http://majesticarms.com/id10.html
That's pretty neat!

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" -Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
Mini14tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 12:36 PM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoppe View Post
Just a thought if you want to stick with the MK II - I installed a Majestic Arms speed strip kit which lets pull the lock pin out with an allen wrench, can always be reversed if you decide to sell later and want it back to original format. I have a MK III but it also apparently works for the Mk I or II. http://majesticarms.com/id10.html
thanks everyone. yes the speed strip kit was going to be my answer before the IV came out. it could still work. I may hold off till this fall and see if I can swing keeping the II and still getting the IV... after all, my grandson is growing up and grandpap will need to take him to the range when he comes of age...
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 12:54 PM #14
Missed it by that much

Missed it by that much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Duke View Post
For all that the Mark IV may or may not prove to be, it'll never be your "constant companion for longer than I remember...probably 25-30 years".

For me at least, no way I can cut loose a favorite handgun with that much history.
I agree. I haven't owned any of my guns that long and there's many (almost all of them) that I wouldn't part with now. I'm absolutely certain I'd regret selling and pine for the old girl if I had a comparable pistol.
Old July 11th, 2018, 03:01 PM #15

I bought a Mark IV and two days after the waiting period I received the recall notice on the safety. That process was painless and it is now one of my favorite pistols, but then I don't have a Mark II for comparison. Also based on my short time on this forum I've learned that adding is always better than subtracting.
SVD686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 03:50 PM #16

In my opinion the Mark II is the top of the heap for the Ruger Mark series. If take down is an issue there is an after market fix, as has been mentioned earlier. The one to avoid is the Mark III, unless you are a product liability attorney.

If you like your MK II, the MK IV won't do much for you other than easier take down. If you want a MK IV go get one and make the retention decision for yourself. A man can never have too many .22 RF guns. bob
bob finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 04:14 PM #17

I own a MK IV and love it. I messed with the 2 and 3 a number of times and personally had no interest because of the design. Paper clip, upside down, rubber mallet, naaahhhh, too frustrating! Ruger got it right with the MK IV however and if you get one, you may not want to shoot the 2 anymore.

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." Jefferson to Madison, January 30, 1787
Latin to English Translation - "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"
Aventus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 05:30 PM #18
The Leatherstocking

The Leatherstocking

I own a MKII standard and a MK IV 22/45 Lite.

I love them both. The MKII is just the all time classic, and I love the construction and quality. The MKIV is great to shoot and a silly fun suppressor host. I also love the takedown.

Would I give up the MK II for the MK IV? No, but that's because my MK II was an inheritance from my dad and it's the pistol I learned to shoot with as a kid. It's also a different gun than the Lite is.

If I was making the OP's choice, I think I'd go for the MKIV. It's a "better" gun in just about every objective sense, and they fixed all the stupid they did on the MKIII.
Hawkeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 07:14 PM #19

Mk II mags are incompatible with Mk IVs. Also, you have to contend with the crazy ECI and mag disconnect. Stick with the Mk IIs.
Alan3413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 07:30 AM #20
The Leatherstocking

The Leatherstocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan3413 View Post
Mk II mags are incompatible with Mk IVs. Also, you have to contend with the crazy ECI and mag disconnect. Stick with the Mk IIs.
ECI? If you're talking about the loaded chamber indicator thing, they took that out of the MK IV.

Mag disconnect you can remove it yourself at home in about ten minutes by replacing it with a washer.
Hawkeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns