Any local gunsmiths for Old Remington 1100?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I was wondering if anyone in the Central Region (Carroll or Baltimore Counties roughly) knows of a decent gunsmith to repair a busted Remington 1100 LT-20 from roughly 1970-75? My father tried to explain it to me but I completely didn’t understand what he was saying, something about the “slide being broken inside the receiver...something is supposed to be welded....but it broke off”. I want to go look at it myself to get a better idea for what’s broken, but any suggestions as to who may be in the area that would work on an old Remmy would be appreciated. It definitely isn’t under warranty any longer but we discussed sending it back to Remington which I talked him out of, given their current situation.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I don’t know a gunsmith but google ‘Remington 1100 Action Bar’. That might be what he means by a broken slide. I’ve never had one break but I understand it’s common.

If that’s all it is, should be easy to replace unless parts for that year are hard to find. Not sure how year dependent they are.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Try shotgunworld forums.

Look for a guy named theVirginian

He is a pretty good remmy guy for these discussions.

Also, the 1100/1187 are fairly easy to disassemble.

Get the you tubes going. Disassembly takes under 5 minutes. If you’re going to self diagnose, and ask for help, folks will maybe ask for pictures. And they’ll be helpful.

You could use snap caps or EMPTY!!! Expended shells and go through a good bit of diagnosis. Manually cycling the inert shell.

The schematic is easily found on line.

Good luck! Hope it works out for ya

I was wondering if anyone in the Central Region (Carroll or Baltimore Counties roughly) knows of a decent gunsmith to repair a busted Remington 1100 LT-20 from roughly 1970-75? My father tried to explain it to me but I completely didn’t understand what he was saying, something about the “slide being broken inside the receiver...something is supposed to be welded....but it broke off”. I want to go look at it myself to get a better idea for what’s broken, but any suggestions as to who may be in the area that would work on an old Remmy would be appreciated. It definitely isn’t under warranty any longer but we discussed sending it back to Remington which I talked him out of, given their current situation.

garciacorp

Have fun, Shoot straight!
    Dec 9, 2011
    La Plata, MD
    Not a gunsmith but I just happen to have experience repairing several Remington 1100’s from the 60’s to late 80’ s and generally has always been the same issue with the Feed Latch/ shell latch coming loose from the receiver . I can’t remember if the early models where welded, but later model the latch is staked in place. It is a common occurrence with the 1100 for this piece to come loose and cause problems with the action. It is a simple fix with the right tool, you pull out you bolt and action bars and use a specified staking tool to put back in place. The tool can be found at Brownell’s , Gun Broker, and Evilbay for around $60-$80 . Several YouTube videos can be found to help and save you Gunsmith $ and waiting time. Hope this helps

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Yes it does help Garciacorp, sounds like a good project for my Dad. He loves this old shotgun, as do I. I may work on it with him, could be fun.

Thanks also jollymon, if Dad can’t handle it, we’ll check out Scott’s.

Thanks to all that have responded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom