• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Just since you mentioned buying a couple more CMP Garands might perhaps be money better spent than on one of these Midway M1 Carbines.

Obama killed the online surplus market. I'm at the point where I don't buy sight unseen anymore, except from CMP . Online sellers have taken quite a few liberties in their interpretations of good, fine and excellent. MidwayUSA has a wonderful reputation and I use to get a C&R discount from them. Classic had a good rep too, until they didn't.

This is what good, fine and excellent should mean:
    http://www.nramuseum.org/gun-info-research/evaluating-firearms-condition.aspx

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    What they show does not have the flip up rear sight.

A gunsmith working for the importer sorting them has posted a lot of pictures on Facebook. A lot have flip sights, but a lot also have adjustable sights on WWII wood and barrel bands.

Anyone have any idea where these came from?

Italian Carabinieri. A thread on Gunboards had a US Customs entry for the shipment and it said a bit over 3k of them.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Over the weekend at the Gettysburg Gun Show there were Carbines without import marks for less...not necessarily in the best condition or more rare manufacturers, but all still sub-$2k by a fair amount. I think Carbine barrels without import stamps have just taken a jump in value and will end up on the M1s that Midway has sold. That...and flippers are already writing their Gunbroker auctions up and waiting for delivery from Midway so they can get quick photos so the auctions can go active.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Obama killed the online surplus market. I'm at the point where I don't buy sight unseen anymore, except from CMP . Online sellers have taken quite a few liberties in their interpretations of good, fine and excellent. MidwayUSA has a wonderful reputation and I use to get a C&R discount from them. Classic had a good rep too, until they didn't.

This is what good, fine and excellent should mean:
    http://www.nramuseum.org/gun-info-research/evaluating-firearms-condition.aspx

Classic firearms is such a garbage website. I purchased a 1903A3 from them about a year ago. Condition "excellent". The wood and metal was ok-ish, but the barrel was a sedgley USMC marked re-bent barrel. The bore looked like a smoothbore musket. Got my money back and I've never looked there again. There are still gems on gunbroker that pop up from time to time

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    The Midway M1s sold out in 18 minutes. I timed it. Within 6 minutes the non-Inland and Winchesters were either gone or down to a handful available. Strangely the Underwoods stuck around for a bit before going out of stock. The Rock-Olas went first. No surprise there. I was after an IBM-made rifle and I got one. Those were sold out about two minutes after my order was placed successfully at 9:04am. You could tell Midway's site was getting slammed.

I received the shipping notice last night about an hour after the e-mail saying my 03 FFL was approved. I am told to expect the rifle Friday. Then I will find out what "Very Good to Fine" means.

I have an Inland I bought 10ish years ago. Mismatched but I got it for $525 back then. I'd kill for those prices now.

I'm not speculating on the rifle as I am looking to keep it. I am a tech geek and any tech geek who writes code and plays with M1 Carbines is going to want an IBM-made rifle in the safe. I'll take the Inland to the range and keep the IBM rifle for special occasions and to add to the retirement stock. Remember, they aren't making these things anymore and haven't for 70+ years. While Inlands are rather dime-a-dozen rifles, the other makes not so much and getting rarer by the year. I see far fewer of a lot of collectible rifles out there than I used to a decade ago.

If the rifle meets the grading criteria then I won't feel cheated or that I overpaid at all. The handful of IBM carbines I've seen had price tags well north of $1800 and in about the same condition as my Inland. I think the Rock-Olas were a bargain and I thought hard about a National Postal Meter or an Underwood. The latter for their reputed accuracy over other M1s.

I guess we all bring our perceptions to the table. I think I got lucky in getting the rifle at all. While the idea of a complete collection of each M1 Carbine make appeals to me, I think I'm a little too late or need much deeper pockets to pull it off. Having an IBM-marked rifle makes me happy it is the safe as a little piece of history for me to enjoy for a while before it moves on to the next owner.

Matt

Jul 1, 2012
    Having the import mark is going to be tough on the value down the road (absent the feeding frenzy), since there are so many good non-import examples available. But at least it isn't the usual "drunk monkey billboard chiseled" PW Arms mark from what was shown.

I wonder how many of those got scooped up exclusively for resale... 18 minutes is just insane.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    IMHO the carbines Midway got were a mixed bag. Value in today's times? It's a seller's market. "If" the CMP had gotten their hands on the rifles? They wouldn't be cheap, but they'd be trustworthy, graded correctly and perfectly functional. Only "if"... :sad20:

It's been a while since I've posted Hooligan Shoot threads for several reasons. That doesn't mean we've stopped shooting almost every Sunday. In fact, several of us had our M1 Carbines, Garands and 1911's out on Memorial Day for a great tribute to our military of the past and present.

One thing I can guarantee is none of us paid Midway's prices for our fine examples. They are shooters and that's what Hooligans do.

Here are a few pics from our Memorial Day shoot.

Enjoy.

:)

Attachments

• DSC04862 Jim M1 Carbine.jpg
      DSC04862 Jim M1 Carbine.jpg
      48.7 KB · Views: 336
    • DSC04878 4570 M1 Carbine.jpg
      DSC04878 4570 M1 Carbine.jpg
      45.9 KB · Views: 334
    • DSC04883 j8064 M1 Carbine.jpg
      DSC04883 j8064 M1 Carbine.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 343
    • DSC04885 CombatAK M1 Carbine.jpg
      DSC04885 CombatAK M1 Carbine.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 349
    • DSC04877 Garands-Carbines-1911s.jpg
      DSC04877 Garands-Carbines-1911s.jpg
      88.1 KB · Views: 331

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Classic firearms is such a garbage website. I purchased a 1903A3 from them about a year ago. Condition "excellent". The wood and metal was ok-ish, but the barrel was a sedgley USMC marked re-bent barrel. The bore looked like a smoothbore musket. Got my money back and I've never looked there again. There are still gems on gunbroker that pop up from time to time

A buddy of mine has a sporterized 03a3 that was his fathers. It looks like a smooth bore. The thing is a tack driver at 200 yds

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Talk about things being overpriced, I was in cabelas in Gainesville yesterday and they had a garand on the rack and it looked pretty nice and the guy next to me was already getting written up to buy it, I asked how much and he said $1,900. It literally took me a couple seconds to understand what he said.

I should have told him I’d sell him one of my CMP garands for $1,800 lmao. Then I would just go and buy 2 more of one of these carbines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    IMHO the carbines Midway got were a mixed bag. Value in today's times? It's a seller's market. "If" the CMP had gotten their hands on the rifles? They wouldn't be cheap, but they'd be trustworthy, graded correctly and perfectly functional. Only "if"... :sad20:

It's been a while since I've posted Hooligan Shoot threads for several reasons. That doesn't mean we've stopped shooting almost every Sunday. In fact, several of us had our M1 Carbines, Garands and 1911's out on Memorial Day for a great tribute to our military of the past and present.

One thing I can guarantee is none of us paid Midway's prices for our fine examples. They are shooters and that's what Hooligans do.

Here are a few pics from our Memorial Day shoot.

Enjoy.

:)

Very nice! I got mine as a hand-me-down. No cost other than putting up with relatives :-)

Shoots nice. I love it. I was complaining that I’d probably never buy a Carbine because the prices were just so high and that I was planning to get a CMP Garand for myself for my birthday. Wife’s uncle I was gabbing to goes “well hell, I’ve got a carbine I haven’t shot in years. It’s yours”

I almost rammed right in to the car stopped at the light in front of us.

It’s not shiny new, but it runs well, is pretty accurate for a carbine. No import marks. Never re-arsenaled. Or if it was, someone reverted it perfectly. Only issue is the rear sight was replaced with a short price of pic rail for a red dot. I undid that with a later war style ladder sight (kensight) rather than the period correct flip sight (it is a September 42 inland).

I’ve got my eye on getting a nice 03A3 for my 40th coming up in about 2 years. I figure I’ll probably have to pay dearly. Pretty sure my wife’s uncle doesn’t have one of those tucked away unused.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics