Attempting my first AR build...Am I off to a good start?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBear

Mar 16, 2021
    Baltimore
    Being as though everything I have my eye on is other out of stock or not on the BS Md handgun roster, I’ve decided to dive in head first and attempt my first AR build. I’m excited to begin being that I get to hand pick custom parts for the build. And the parts only equal $1365 plus the tools, transfer fee, taxes, and S&H. I’ve done some research and have made a list of all the parts I believe I will need to complete the build. Can you guys take a look and see if I’m missing anything? Also, can you list the exact tools I will need as well. If I can get the parts approval of you guys I feel comfortable beginning to order parts. Thanks in advance.

Parts List
    Lower Receiver Parts
    - [ ] Pistol brace -
    - [ ] Stripped Lower Receiver set
    - [ ] Buffer Kit - $60
    - [ ] 556 bolt kit - $120
    - [ ] take down pins - $45
    - [ ] Lower Parts Kit (trigger assembly etc.)

Upper Receiver Parts
    - [ ] 556 11.5”Barrel
    - [ ] pistol length carbine Gas Tube
    - [ ] Gas Block
    - [ ] 556 10.3” handguard kit
    - [ ] 556 Bolt Carrier Group
    - [ ] 556 nato Dust Cover
    - [ ] 556 Charging Handle
    - [ ] Forward Assist

Did I miss anything?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...-5-lightweight-m-lok-moe-sba3-pistol-kit.html
    just add lower.

From your list, You've got "5.56 bolt kit" in the section for lower and "5.56 bolt carrier group" for the upper. You've also got redundant parts for the lower elsewhere. Just get a "lower parts kit". It'll have your takedown pins and everything with it. The pistol brace should have your buffer tube, buffer, and spring in it. Orrrr just get this for the lower and call it a day...
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-sba3-moe-ept-pistol-lower-build-kit-black-5165448657.html

Also, "stripped lower receiver set"... do you mean a receiver set? Go with aero. If building the upper from scratch, get a lower/upper set.
    https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-threaded-receiver-set-black

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I think most 5.56 11.5 barrels are carbine and not pistol length gas systems. I’m not sure what a 556 bolt kit is. You also have a bolt carrier group listed This should have the bolt.
    Take down pins should be included in the lower parts kit, I guess you must want to use some special ones.
    I also assume you have an upper receiver.

You’ll need to figure out how to align the gas block and torque the barrel nut and receiver extension and assemble everything.

How mechanically inclined are you? There are easier options.

GBear

Mar 16, 2021
    Baltimore
    Man...this can get overwhelming in a hurry. I’m having second thoughts about taking on this task. I’m average when it comes to being mechanically inclined. I think I can do it, I just feel like I’m going to waste money buying the wrong parts. I need to think this one over.

GBear

Mar 16, 2021
    Baltimore
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...-5-lightweight-m-lok-moe-sba3-pistol-kit.html
    just add lower.

From your list, You've got "5.56 bolt kit" in the section for lower and "5.56 bolt carrier group" for the upper. You've also got redundant parts for the lower elsewhere. Just get a "lower parts kit". It'll have your takedown pins and everything with it. The pistol brace should have your buffer tube, buffer, and spring in it. Orrrr just get this for the lower and call it a day...
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-sba3-moe-ept-pistol-lower-build-kit-black-5165448657.html

Also, "stripped lower receiver set"... do you mean a receiver set? Go with aero. If building the upper from scratch, get a lower/upper set.
    https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-threaded-receiver-set-black

Ok. So I’ve removed the redundancies from the list and yes, I meant a receiver set. The one had my eyes on is $500 but once I red the spec compared to the Aero, there was nothing special about it. Now I just need to find the aero in stock.

GBear

Mar 16, 2021
    Baltimore
    I think most 5.56 11.5 barrels are carbine and not pistol length gas systems. I’m not sure what a 556 bolt kit is. You also have a bolt carrier group listed This should have the bolt.
    Take down pins should be included in the lower parts kit, I guess you must want to use some special ones.
    I also assume you have an upper receiver.

You’ll need to figure out how to align the gas block and torque the barrel nut and receiver extension and assemble everything.

How mechanically inclined are you? There are easier options.

Thanks for that catch. I must have read wrong but you are correct sir, it is a carbine length has tube.

I really would like to do the build from A-Z myself but maybe a complete could be the way to go. What tools would I need to complete the build?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Ok. So I’ve removed the redundancies from the list and yes, I meant a receiver set. The one had my eyes on is $500 but once I red the spec compared to the Aero, there was nothing special about it. Now I just need to find the aero in stock.

Check in the morning. I think they damned near restock every day. If not, just picking up their m4e1 lower would be smart. It's probably the best value for a feature-packed lower right now. It should mate up well with most any quality upper.

Homesick Texan

Dec 15, 2012
    Middle TN
    Thanks for starting this thread and for the members giving great advice (as always).

I've decided to build my own as well (.300 AAC), more out of curiosity than anything else. I picked up a couple very reasonably priced Aero X-15s from Medusa.

Some parts I've ordered, others I'm still doing research on.
    Good luck!

GBear

Mar 16, 2021
    Baltimore
    Thanks for starting this thread and for the members giving great advice (as always).

I've decided to build my own as well (.300 AAC), more out of curiosity than anything else. I picked up a couple very reasonably priced Aero X-15s from Medusa.

Some parts I've ordered, others I'm still doing research on.
    Good luck!

Yeah the members here are an invaluable resource. I’m still on the fence though. This build came out of necessity kinda sorta lol. I really want the Sig MCX Virtus but don’t see that happening anytime soon. So my impatience got me to thinking about killing 2 birds with 1 stone. And what better way to learn and become familiar with my rifle than to build it. I don’t know. I have the money for either option, I just need to make a decision.

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    Man...this can get overwhelming in a hurry. I’m having second thoughts about taking on this task. I’m average when it comes to being mechanically inclined. I think I can do it, I just feel like I’m going to waste money buying the wrong parts. I need to think this one over.

You can do this. It is a bit overwhelming but once you do it once you'll be more comfortable with it.

If you aren't going to build multiple ARs you may not want to buy the tools. There are a lot of us who have all the tools you will need that would be happy to walk you through step by step using our tools.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    You’re also missing a muzzle device.
    I’d recommend you get a kit from Palmetto like Smokey recommended. It has everything and the upper, in theory, should be properly assembled. You’ll need to assemble it on your lower. You can build a different upper if you like later.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you aren't going to build multiple ARs you may not want to buy the tools. There are a lot of us who have all the tools you will need that would be happy to walk you through step by step using our tools.

Everyone builds multiple AR's. Everyone.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    You’re also missing a muzzle device.
    I’d recommend you get a kit from Palmetto like Smokey recommended. It has everything and the upper, in theory, should be properly assembled. You’ll need to assemble it on your lower. You can build a different upper if you like later.

The other good thing about picking something up from PSA is that if they did f something up(misaligned gas block or something not up to par), they've got a very good warranty. You can just ship the upper back and they'll fix it for you. If you slap parts together yourself without the knowledge or tools to correctly build it, you could be stuck on your own trying to problem solve if something isn't right. So the kits are kind of a good introduction to the AR. They're like pancake mix that you've got to crack an egg into. Sure, they could have just included egg in the mix, requiring you to just add water... but cracking that egg makes you feel accomplished. The kits handle some of the more important parts that are more difficult to assemble correctly and leave the easier parts for you to do.. again, with the warranty.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You probably want someone knowledgeable to help or check out the upper when you build it. Could also use an assembled upper for the first one. The barrel nut, gas block and headspacing could cause issues that might be tough to catch, or could be dangerous/damaging.
    To build a lower you need a vise, mag block, punches, detent install tool, hammer, armorer's wrench and a torque wrench.
    To build an upper add in a reaction rod or Bev block(also works as a mag block), dimpling jig, drill, micrometer calipers, and headspace gauges.

There are build guides all over, but most break down into mil-spec or proprietary. Main difference is mil-spec uses a roll pin in the trigger guard and bolt catch, most proprietary use a threaded bolt catch pin, integral triggerguard, and may have a threaded takedown detent hole and nylon tipped tension screw. I love Aero sets, the M4E1 set has all the nice proprietary additions, and have built at least a dozen with 0 issues. PSA and Anderson often have minor out of spec things that could be tough to catch and fix for a first time builder. As far as parts go, keep it simple, stick to 1 company, lower, full lower parts kit with grip, selector and trigger/hammer, buffer/spring/tube/castle nut/end plate and brace/stock. Then a built upper, charging handle and BCG, or build the upper with a barrel, block/tube and handguard. Should be easy to get it to go well with decent parts.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thanks for that catch. I must have read wrong but you are correct sir, it is a carbine length has tube.

I really would like to do the build from A-Z myself but maybe a complete could be the way to go. What tools would I need to complete the build?
    Bore scope
    Magpul BEV block
    Long Allen wrench set for SAE and Metric
    Inspection picks
    Magpul Armorer wrench
    Small needle nose pliers
    Utility knife w/razor blade
    Torque wrench 1/2"
    Breaker bar 1/2"
    Aeroshell 64
    Loctite 720
    Tack hammer (get one at Lowe's)
    Screwdrivers (flat and Phillips)
    Torx wrench set
    Sotaracha
    Lapping tool
    Lapping compound
    Mobil 1 Synthetic oil
    Wheeler AR15/AR10 vice block (used when lapping the upper)
    Feeler gauges
    Punch set
    Roll pin punch set
    Roll pin starter punches
    223 GO, 556 GO, 556 FIELD headspace gauges (pacific tool and gauge will also modify them for a small fee, so they will clear the extractor and ejector)
    Cordless drill (used for lapping the upper)
    And many more

GBear

Mar 16, 2021
    Baltimore
    Bore scope
    Magpul BEV block
    Long Allen wrench set for SAE and Metric
    Inspection picks
    Magpul Armorer wrench
    Small needle nose pliers
    Utility knife w/razor blade
    Torque wrench 1/2"
    Breaker bar 1/2"
    Aeroshell 64
    Loctite 720
    Tack hammer (get one at Lowe's)
    Screwdrivers (flat and Phillips)
    Torx wrench set
    Sotaracha
    Lapping tool
    Lapping compound
    Mobil 1 Synthetic oil
    Wheeler AR15/AR10 vice block (used when lapping the upper)
    Feeler gauges
    Punch set
    Roll pin punch set
    Roll pin starter punches
    223 GO, 556 GO, 556 FIELD headspace gauges (pacific tool and gauge will also modify them for a small fee, so they will clear the extractor and ejector)
    Cordless drill (used for lapping the upper)
    And many more

Holy ! Think I might be in over my head. This list let’s me know just how much I don’t know and need to learn...*♂️.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom