• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Everyone i have talked to this year has had the same issue. Its like the deer vacated the state of Md

We typically stack them up where i hunt and we are struggling too. My neighbor sat in his honey hole for the last 4 mornings with a muzzle loader and left empty handed each morning.

its a screwy year, because its the same out west here. I havent seen any dead ones, as we dont have EHD or chronic waste that I know of. But I only See very few deer and they are late at night on game camera. I have seen a couple road kills but not a lot.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Cold weather forecast for the beginning of the week. Nothing gets them moving this time of year like the cold. I'll be at it most of the week(Bonus tag). :thumbsup:

Yeah, highs in the mid 20s for central MD should get them moving later in the week.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, highs in the mid 20s for central MD should get them moving later in the week.

That is the problem we are having right now, it is just too warm. The grass is still green in my yard, which means they can still eat it. There is no need for them to go looking for food. It is the same way with the waterfowl too, especially the geese. They have not been pushed down from the north and the ones that are here are not forced to eat very much because they are not burning a lot of calories to stay warm. The 4 birds we killed last week had a lot of fat on them. They could probably go several days without food and live on the fat stores they had on themselves.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    This has been an absolutely terrible season for me so far. I’ve hunted 7 days, morning and evening and have not seen a single deer. This is day 8 and it’s shaping up to continue the streak. I’m not even really seeing any roadkill deer. I just don’t understand it.

I’ve hunted this location for seven years and while I’ve had plenty of days with no sightings, it’s never been an entire season!

Strange year. I typically see deer every day on my property in the am or pm. Not always both, but at least one or the other. I haven’t seen any movement since I shot my deer in the beginning of rifle season. Zero movement at all.

Call me crazy, but I think we have something in the woods keeping them away. I keep finding rib cages of deer on my hill and they simply are not moving. Dare I say the word.... coyotes?

I know I have foxes, but they aren’t killing deer and dragging rib cages around whatever is doing it must be keeping the deer away from my land.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Strange year. I typically see deer every day on my property in the am or pm. Not always both, but at least one or the other. I haven’t seen any movement since I shot my deer in the beginning of rifle season. Zero movement at all.

Call me crazy, but I think we have something in the woods keeping them away. I keep finding rib cages of deer on my hill and they simply are not moving. Dare I say the word.... coyotes?

I know I have foxes, but they aren’t killing deer and dragging rib cages around whatever is doing it must be keeping the deer away from my land.

Attachments

• wampa-yeti.jpg
      wampa-yeti.jpg
      58.2 KB · Views: 193

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    All I see are tauntaun bones. Where the deer at?

Later this week I might be thinking about crawling inside a tauntaun to get warm.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    So I've been having a pretty craptacular year as far as hunting goes. Early season wasn't too bad....saw plenty of does and a few encounters with a smaller 8 point but the past few times I went out I didn't see a thing. We're talking more action going on in a graveyard. Well I was dropping some cookies/pastries off at the neighbors for Christmas and he asked if I pulled my cameras lately. He says his son pulled his cards last week (he hunts another part of the woods than I do) and has found several pictures of some coyotes. Well that explains things.....

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was planning on going out this morning, but after spending the entire night in the throws of food poisoning, I bagged it. I will hit it this afternoon.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I was planning on going out this morning, but after spending the entire night in the throws of food poisoning, I bagged it. I will hit it this afternoon.

Oh damn, you too, I was up till 3am doubled over. Hope you feel better soon.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    There is also a stomach bug going around. It may not be what you ate.

Either way, get well soon.

Thanks. Could have been a stomach bug. I had a fever night of the 23rd and felt beat the 24th (still hit the range). Fine yesterday morning, but started to get stomach cramps around 10am and slowly got worse till about 8pm where suddenly it doubled me over for about 7 hours in the bathroom. Nothing happening, but just intense cramps. Took a just in case immodium around 5pm because I was starting to feel so bad.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    So I've been having a pretty craptacular year as far as hunting goes. Early season wasn't too bad....saw plenty of does and a few encounters with a smaller 8 point but the past few times I went out I didn't see a thing. We're talking more action going on in a graveyard. Well I was dropping some cookies/pastries off at the neighbors for Christmas and he asked if I pulled my cameras lately. He says his son pulled his cards last week (he hunts another part of the woods than I do) and has found several pictures of some coyotes. Well that explains things.....

Sounds like you need to start hunting coyotes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom