• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    Just wondering . . .

I wonder if the animals taken off of hunting preserves (deer, elk, bison etc.) tastes any different than the game taken from wild fair chase hunts.

Have you ever wondered about that?

I have never eaten wild turkey, but have been told by people who have that it tastes exactly like store bought turkey.

Rmocarsky

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Just wondering . . .

I wonder if the animals taken off of hunting preserves (deer, elk, bison etc.) tastes any different than the game taken from wild fair chase hunts.

Have you ever wondered about that?

I have never eaten wild turkey, but have been told by people who have that it tastes exactly like store bought turkey.

Rmocarsky

only if they're not allowed to eat what they eat in the wild.
    natural diet is more important just than keeping them fed, when it comes to human taste.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Restaurant venison usually tastes different than home-killed venison because it’s usually not whitetail (usually from New Zealand farms I believe). Wild turkey did disappoint me, I like the unique wild game flavor of wild game meats, and that is correct as it tastes exactly like Butterball. Restaurant rabbit tastes like wild rabbit, restaurant alligator tastes like wild alligator, etc... you get the point.

A preserve harvested animal such as pheasant, quail, chukkar, duck, pig, to my experience tastes no different than “wild” versions. Not had a “canned” hunt for any deer or elk, but I assume if they eat the same foods and reside in the same type of habitat, I don’t see why they wouldn’t taste the same.

Never had wild bison but I’m told farm raised buffalo tastes no different. Of course all of this would depend on how it’s cooked I guess. I’m sensing an experiment coming soon....

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I tell people that have never tried venison.....its the best meat Ive ever had AND the worst meat Ive ever had......all depends on how its cooked.

Wild turkey tastes nothing like store bought imo. We just bought a fresh turkey from Maplelawn Farm.....it Woke Up the day we picked it up.....will report back.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I used to hunt turkey outside of Snow Hill.I could taste a hint of sulfer,just like the water tastes.Had to dip in butter milk and spice it pretty good to get them to taste good.Others hunters from the Shore have said their birds tasted fine.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I tell people that have never tried venison.....its the best meat Ive ever had AND the worst meat Ive ever had......all depends on how its cooked.

Wild turkey tastes nothing like store bought imo. We just bought a fresh turkey from Maplelawn Farm.....it Woke Up the day we picked it up.....will report back.

half of the problem is how it was taken care of after the shot. The other half is what it eats...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually three potential factors :

1. What they eat captivity vs wild
    2. Care of meat after kill
    3. Physical activity , ie muscular development, captivity vs wild .

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Actually three potential factors :

1. What they eat captivity vs wild
    2. Care of meat after kill
    3. Physical activity , ie muscular development, captivity vs wild .

4. What they give/do to the domestic animal. You don't find too many turkeys in the wild with fat injected under their skin.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    That’s a good point. All wild turkey I’ve eaten had been from Dorchester County. It tasted exactly like store bought turkey. Still good but disappointed that it didn’t have a “wilder” taste. Others here have outright discounted this and said it tastes nothing at all like store bought. I’m wondering what regions their birds were from. I imagine a bird whose diet includes a lot of field corn & acorns from say Carroll County, probably won’t taste the same as a bird eating mostly bugs soybeans and milo near Blackwater. It would be an intetesting taste test for someone to setup.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I have eaten turkeys from Balt Co,WV and Western Md that tasted great.To me they tasted like domesticated birds but a little more flavor.The ones from Snow Hill were on a tree farm with no crops for food and lots of standing ,stagnant water.I think the water is where the off flavor came from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom