• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Hey folks. Can anyone dissuade my problems with the HQL and convince me to get one? A friend is selling a couple older pistols that I would absolutely LOVE to buy. Problem obviously, I don't have an HQL. Regarding guns I've always followed every letter of the law and don't plan to change that now, but I'm really sketchy on the damn registration process. I've had an instance where MSP threatened to arrest me and confiscate firearms, so I'm totally against registration.

I was threatened with arrest by MSP over a decade ago after getting denied for a pistol purchase (was a Ruger Mark II if i remember right). I called up MSP to ask why, and the officer says it was related to an arrest when I was 15 years old (I was young and stupid, got caught smoking weed with the cool older kids). Anyhow, that was enough to label me a Juvenile Delinquent, thus I get denied until I hit 30. I was about 28 years old at the time I was denied. He then recited the make, model and serial numbers of the other three guns I purchased AND PASSED WITH MSP APPROVAL. He tells me that I am going to have to surrender them or face confiscation and arrest, despite the fact that I was previously cleared on 3 occasions with MSP. I called a lawyer and took his advice... I broke lease, moved to VA where that law didn't apply, sold the evil Maryland-tainted guns, then started fresh.

I bought what I wanted while I lived in VA, but several years later in 2012 I had to move back to MD. Everything I have is totally kosher (no arrests of course, even have security clearance), but I won't buy anything in MD because of that stupid experience with the MSP. I'd love to pick up a couple new pieces, but don't trust MSP as far as I can throw them after that. Am I being petty and get my HQL, or should I leave well enough alone?

Yes, get your HQL and purchase numerous, 10 or more handguns. Run the numbers up for those with an HQL and for number of purchases of handguns.

The fact that there has been voluntary registration before the HQL requirement means that they already have the data on your handgun purchases. Stick a finger in the eye of the gun hatting MD legislature.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    There have been a few times I wish I had gotten my HQL. Usually, when I had a chance to get a handgun at an insanely good price.

When the HQL began I was a year from retirement and I figured I'd be out of MD by now. I'll probably break down and get one next year if I'm still in MD. Yes, I will feel dirty when I get my HQL.

NIK

Jul 31, 2012
    MD
    Thanks for the responses so far, but just to be clear:

The problem IS NOT about having a juvenile record. When I turned 30, any juvenile history became irrelevant. I'm damn near 40 now and I CAN get an HQL easily.

The problem IS that I don't trust MSP after they threatened me with arrest for their mistake. The only serial numbers tied to my name in MD are on guns I did off in VA almost ten years ago.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well in that context you have two choices ( well three):

1. Get over your distrust of MSP.

2. Obtain 003 FFL, get C&R sent to your door without MSP involvement.

3. Move back to Virginia.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    How can you say that? There aren't any modern day handguns that you can buy with a C&R license.

My needs aren't met with any C&R handgun. How many 3gun competitors use a C&R handgun. How many AR pistols are on the C&R list? How many C&R handguns have a 15-17 round capacity?

The HQL is not another layer of registration, it's just an attempt to prevent the average citizen from exercising their 2nd Amendment rights.

I have no idea as to what point you are trying to make with your last sentence. Want to explain?

I agree with you almost completely, but let's be honest. You are probably better off building an AR pistol instead of buying one pre-made and you don't need a 77r or HQL for an AR-15 80% lower and you only need a 77r for a regular AR-15 lower.

But you still need an HQL for plenty of other stuff.

Get a designated collectors status so you don't have to wait 30 days between individual purchases if you are going to get an HQL.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Having bought SBS, SBR, and suppressors made me realize that to get what I wanted made me jump though some hoops. I can't change the laws at this time and there are some things I wanted so in 2014 went and got the HQL. I wanted some handguns. It is what I had to do. Don't like it but I will tell you this and I know this is going to upset some people but after teaching thousands of HQL and wear and carry applications I do believe that we are safer because of this laws. . The knowledge of lots of people who taking these classes is horrible. NO muzzel discipline, no handling skills. Having people get a wear and carry permit and walk among us without training is crazy. They are not the group that belong to this forum.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Im torn between the HQL thing and don't have one. My thinking is do I need a license or as much training to exercise a god given right? Will I need a license to say or write what I like one day? And the training I received by my dad needs to pass somebody's eles's muster? Yeah right. I think buying into that just perpetuates the BS. Not some dude making a buck of off the law because that's what it is. But if I want new iron in MD I have to get one right? I think that the more alphabet folks want to put behind their name makes it harder for the next guy. I don't know, do you need credentials to support the 2A now? Maybe Im wrong, but not a dying breed. Because all four of my children are the same way. Thats the only way to get right and its going to take a while now. Were not propping anything up and legitimizing it by following suit. Thats what has happened. They made it, we made it stick, but if I want some new gear, I have to line up or do without. Or move out, and in that case its not happening anytime soon.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Having bought SBS, SBR, and suppressors made me realize that to get what I wanted made me jump though some hoops. I can't change the laws at this time and there are some things I wanted so in 2014 went and got the HQL. I wanted some handguns. It is what I had to do. Don't like it but I will tell you this and I know this is going to upset some people but after teaching thousands of HQL and wear and carry applications I do believe that we are safer because of this laws. . The knowledge of lots of people who taking these classes is horrible. NO muzzel discipline, no handling skills. Having people get a wear and carry permit and walk among us without training is crazy. They are not the group that belong to this forum.

We're safer because of the HQL? Really? What facts do you base this on? According to your logic we all would be safer if we needed a RQL to by a shotgun.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    We're safer because of the HQL? Really? What facts do you base this on? According to your logic we all would be safer if we needed a RQL to by a shotgun.

:omg:

Those constitutional carry states must have blood red streets and overflowing storm drains from the rivers of blood. The bodies piling up! Just imagine, adults wandering around in the streets untrained with no muzzle discipline. oh the agony...

lol

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not Kenpo333 , but the obvious would be :

I tought xyz number of people specific blocks of instruction.

That they presumably would not have taken, if not mandated by FSA2013.

I am a reasonably competent Instructor, and these people were more knowledegable ( and impliedly safer) after my instruction , than they would have been without it .

Hence, now a safer place .

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    They want you to not buy handguns, or any guns, so you are not buying handguns (because you will not get an HQL) they won!

If they make it so you can not voice your opinion without a license will you sit in silence?

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    They want you to not buy handguns, or any guns, so you are not buying handguns (because you will not get an HQL) they won!

If they make it so you can not voice your opinion without a license will you sit in silence?

Silence was broken as evidenced during testimony against FSA2013, to no avail. Personally I do not ever intend to get an HQL. I do not believe proving that people are willing to get fingerprinted and pay additional fees will have any impact on MD 2A. I believe it will alert Annapolis that they need to get more creative to discourage handgun purchases.

For me, C&R, no fingerprints, no sales tax or add on HQL license fees. I almost feel like I live in free America.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The HQL is a success for the anti's and its been legitimized by the people who oppose it. Voluntary registration for regulated firearms, same thing. They're tired of winning and its not over. The training thing is documentation which equals a broad spectrum. Once your trained you know better, an HP error isn't going to clear anything up for anybody when more draconian regs come down. To get around the training if you go for prior purchase exempt, they don't do any research YOU give it to them as part of the submission. Tired of winning they are. Leo's and military are exempt whoop t do thats feel good for looking out for our own, who can argue with that? How bout the poor Mother@%#$ who cant pay rent or feed they're own children. Or is educated enough to send an email or even fill out a form to get through that horseshit.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Personally I'd rather they mandate instruction in school.

I am much more comfortable if people get standardized (to a degree) training before carrying. You need it before hunting.

That said, 2A says not to infringe. Fine, mandate training as part of a public school education. They are separated, but but by the time you'd be legal to own and carry, you'd have to of had training anyway.

It very well might make things safer. It might also educate some antis and switch their opinions. The ones it won't, well their heads might explode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom