• ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Yes....that shoots ANY 22LR ammo without issue? :o

Is there such a thing?

Was at the range today and after shooting, I browsed the display cases for a possible new handgun addition in 22lr caliber.

They had a used Sig 1911, a used Colt (Walther) 1911,.and a slew of several different new and used Ruger Mk 1, 2 and 3's. Some had threaded barrels, and One even had a scope/red dot rail

I was 99% ready to grab either the Sig or the Colt/Walther until the one counter guy said both are prone to jams regardless of ammo used. Basically said both were junk...

If that's true, I'm glad he said something....but is it really true?

I love the 1911 feel/weight, but despise the breakdown of the Ruger Mark, which is why i took a liking to bother 1911 styles....so what do you all recommend in the $500 or less price range that isn't known for having trouble digesting even the cheap bulk bucket of bullets??

I'm wanting a semi auto, but open to a revolver as well (since i only have one, a cheap 38 snubnose)...just not spending more than $500 on it no matter what....

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    If you already have a 1911 45ACP I would get a 22 conversion kit. It is true that the Rugers will eat and spit out just about anything. I think the Browning buck mark might also be a good choice and has a 1911 kind of feel to it.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    If you already have a 1911 45ACP I would get a 22 conversion kit. It is true that the Rugers will eat and spit out just about anything. I think the Browning buck mark might also be a good choice and has a 1911 kind of feel to it.

I have 2 so far. They actually had a 1911 22lr conversion there for $300 I think it was....but both the Colt and the Sig were only $350 for a whole other gun. Unfortunately they didn't have a Buckmark there to look at.

Ruger II or III

I'm trying not to get another Mk II or III, if I can help it...last one I had ended up being a stolen one, and before i had to give it back, neither myself nor Dr. Bob at Freestate were ever able to get it to come apart to clean it. A little gun shy on those still, I guess.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    A buckmark will give you the weight and feel you're looking for. Even the controls are the same.

As far as eating whatever you feed it. I have 3 Buckmarks and 2 of them fit that description. The other is very finicky.

I think you should look at a Buckmatk or a Sig Classic .22. The Sigs really have a nice feel and are not ammo specific. Plus you can get caliber exchange kits to shoot other calibers. The Sig might be a little more than $500 though.

Just checked, closer to $575 on the Sig.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Yes....that shoots ANY 22LR ammo without issue? :o

Is there such a thing?

Was at the range today and after shooting, I browsed the display cases for a possible new handgun addition in 22lr caliber.

They had a used Sig 1911, a used Colt (Walther) 1911,.and a slew of several different new and used Ruger Mk 1, 2 and 3's. Some had threaded barrels, and One even had a scope/red dot rail

I was 99% ready to grab either the Sig or the Colt/Walther until the one counter guy said both are prone to jams regardless of ammo used. Basically said both were junk...

If that's true, I'm glad he said something....but is it really true?

I love the 1911 feel/weight, but despise the breakdown of the Ruger Mark, which is why i took a liking to bother 1911 styles....so what do you all recommend in the $500 or less price range that isn't known for having trouble digesting even the cheap bulk bucket of bullets??

I'm wanting a semi auto, but open to a revolver as well (since i only have one, a cheap 38 snubnose)...just not spending more than $500 on it no matter what....

Do yourself a favor and buy a S&W 422, 622, or 2206 (used as they don't make any of these any more. Gunbroker is your friend)
    Most reliable .22 pistols I've ever shot. Btw, don't EVER buy a Sig .22. I bought a Mosquito at dealer cost and I still regret it. Jam-o-matic.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I would also suggest a conversion. I have a Colt Ace that works well with all ammo but I don't believe they are manufactured anymore. They use a floating chamber design to help mimicking the cycling of a .45. Other than that I have a Ruger Mark ll that I love. To clarify most all of these .22 pistols do not cycle well with subsonic target ammo. That is best reserved for bolt or lever rifles. They need sufficient oof to cycle that slide back. People often misinterpret that to the firearms fault.

Break down of a Ruger take me about 20 seconds and about as long to put together. It's just knowing how to do it and knowing why so many people have problems.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Ruger Charger Takedown, based on the 10/22 receiver, threaded, bipod and eats anything, and is under $400.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Wife has a Ruger that she likes. A little cute purple one (her words -- she's beside me). It has never had a problem. Not one jam ever. Only thing that I don't like about it is, if I shoot it right after shooting my 9mm Ruger, it barely seems like I'm firing a weapon.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    The smith & Wesson m&p 22 compact is worth a look. I really like mine. The only ammo I have had any problem with is the American eagle 22 it fail to eject once in a while. It seems to cycle everything else I have thrown at it including standard velocity rounds.
    Just make sure it is the compact. The standard one was not actually made by s&w and I have heard about feed ramp problems with them.
    Take down for cleaning is super simple.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I'm in for either a Buckmark or a Ruger. Buckmark is easier to add a threaded barrel later if you want to. Of course, some Rugers come threaded now so maybe that's not a big deal.

Either one should eat what you feed it. Either might also need a feed ramp polish job that you can probably handle by yourself.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Oh yeah, Ruger Single Six or the newer Single Ten are both excellent choices if a revolver is your thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom