• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drive_accord_ingly

Aug 1, 2007
    MoCo
    Anyone suppress a SA M1A? Is there's way to do it without losing the M1A long birdcage FH? I am very fond of that birdcage and it makes the M1A what it is and I hate to lose it. To me, an M1A is just not an M1A without that big long birdcage.

What do you use? Is there a QD option or do I have to dedicate a can just for the M1A? Pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am unaware of a way to do it without losing the birdcage. SEI makes an adapter that replaces your FSB, and GemTech makes one that loses the front sight (which is handy if you have a Troy stock, like I do).

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I also like my m1a's iron sight set up. I refuse to give that up. For suppressing the m1a. The yhm phantom can has a nice adapter that lets you keep the front sight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      48.8 KB · Views: 681
    May 16, 2012
    Step 1: sell the M1A
    Step 2: buy an AR-10 because it's better in every way
    Step 3: use literally any mounting solution on the market

Kidding aside: does it have normal threads? If so I'd just get a direct thread setup.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB

Kidding aside: does it have normal threads? If so I'd just get a direct thread setup.

No one (worth discussing) makes a direct thread .595-32 suppressor.

OP, the YHM QD mount (as above) or the SEI 5/8x24 adapter are probably the way to go. Other folks (AAC, Surefire) make QD mounts in .595-32, but you lose the front sight base, which is a non-starter for me.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

You know, I always heard how great the M14 was and with the 2013 ban coming I spend a lot of time and even more money figuring out what I wanted. I did not have all the time I needed but ended up with a LRB M25 barreled receiver with Bolt. I wanted a medium/light weight suppressed scoped sniper style gun (not a target gun).

I first started looking at suppressing it. Over gassing the system seems to be a really big issue. Yeah you have a lot of trouble just getting a suppressor on the gun without loosing the front sight. However once you do, then you have to deal with the gassing issue and I have not really seen a good solution for that yet but I do have to say I have not looked in a while.

I also wanted a nice wood stock. However with mounting a scope... this is now an issue. I don't want some U shaped plastic sticking up on it or a sandbag strapped to it. I want like a shot gun style raised comb. Only the Springfield M21 stock had that and its a target stock... So no good stock solution existed (as far as wood stocks go) without a custom stock being made which would run me about $1k before I was done.

So I have to say I am kind of sick of the M14. I have a ton of money it in. Its almost my most expensive non-MG gun. I sure wish the FSA2013 would go away so I could sell it and buy a cheap Vietnam era style M14 and get an AR10 for what I was originally looking for. Scoping and Suppressing a M14 is really just not a good way to go. I agree with you... buy an AR10 and save yourself all the issues and over the top prices of the M14/M1A....

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You know, I always heard how great the M14 was and with the 2013 ban coming I spend a lot of time and even more money figuring out what I wanted. I did not have all the time I needed but ended up with a LRB M25 barreled receiver with Bolt. I wanted a medium/light weight suppressed scoped sniper style gun (not a target gun). I first started looking at suppressing it. Over gassing the system seems to be a really big issue. Yeah you have a lot of trouble just getting a suppressor on the gun without loosing the front sight. However once you do, then you have to deal with the gassing issue and I have not really seen a good solution for that yet but I do have to say I have not looked in a while. I also wanted a nice wood stock. However with mounting a scope... this is now an issue. I don't want some U shaped plastic sticking up on it or a sandbag strapped to it. I want like a shot gun style raised comb. Only the Springfield M21 stock had that and its a target stock... So no good stock solution existed (as far as wood stocks go) without a custom stock being made which would run me about $1k before I was done. So I have to say I am kind of sick of the M14. I have a ton of money it in. Its almost my most expensive non-MG gun. I sure wish the FSA2013 would go away so I could sell it and buy a cheap Vietnam era style M14 and get an AR10 for what I was originally looking for. Scoping and Suppressing a M14 is really just not a good way to go. I agree with you... buy an AR10 and save yourself all the issues and over the top prices of the M14/M1A....

Jeez. I got a Springfield receiver/GI parts gun at Duffy's. Love it.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Jeez. I got a Springfield receiver/GI parts gun at Duffy's. Love it.

Are you trying to turn it into a modern platform?

Yes, you should understand what I am talking about.

No, then its hard to see. I wish I had just done a Vietnam era build with USGI parts, no optics or suppressor... then it would be fine at half the cost...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Are you trying to turn it into a modern platform? Yes, you should understand what I am talking about. No, then its hard to see. I wish I had just done a Vietnam era build with USGI parts, no optics or suppressor... then it would be fine at half the cost...

I see what you are saying. Sorry you hate your rifle is all.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I see what you are saying. Sorry you hate your rifle is all.

Na, I don't blame the rifle... I just ended up with something I can't make into what I want.

Major cause... O'Malley and MD Legislature forcing me to buy a gun 20 years before I planned on buying it! That did not give me the time to look into it further before pulling the trigger. I did a lot of research on what issues I thought I had and solved them. However I did not realize the other issues I was going to run into. Mounting a scope on a normal M14 is a PITA and does not seem to really work that well. Plus you end up with a scope about a half mile above the stock. I bought the LRB M25 which does have the lowest profile for adding a scope. I just figured someone had wood stock option to fit my need and they don't...

Minor cause... the Lore around the M14 being some real accurate rifle that all you need to do is scope and you have a real accurate semi. Its really just not a modern gun. Its not really a gun you can turn into a modern gun. The lore around it just does not live up to reality.

If I could sell what I have and buy a standard M14 replica, I would be happy. I would have 1/3 as much money in the gun and it would fit a place in the collection with the FAL... more of a historic 308, not a modern gun. Now I am kind of stuck in between. To make it worse, everything on this is super expensive.

So for now I have kind of shelved the project. I have a shooting gun. Its got a nice barrel and scope rail receiver. Upgraded trigger group and USGI parts. Its got a crappy over sanded stock but works. If I wanted to get this gun to where I really want it, I would need to dump $1k in a stock, another $1k or so in the scope and rings and then figure out a suppressor mounting solution that worked well. Maybe in time people will come out with parts I can live with and I can get it done. However for now, its an expensive rifle I don't shoot much.

drive_accord_ingly

Aug 1, 2007
    MoCo
    You know, I always heard how great the M14 was and with the 2013 ban coming I spend a lot of time and even more money figuring out what I wanted. I did not have all the time I needed but ended up with a LRB M25 barreled receiver with Bolt. I wanted a medium/light weight suppressed scoped sniper style gun (not a target gun).

I first started looking at suppressing it. Over gassing the system seems to be a really big issue. Yeah you have a lot of trouble just getting a suppressor on the gun without loosing the front sight. However once you do, then you have to deal with the gassing issue and I have not really seen a good solution for that yet but I do have to say I have not looked in a while.

I also wanted a nice wood stock. However with mounting a scope... this is now an issue. I don't want some U shaped plastic sticking up on it or a sandbag strapped to it. I want like a shot gun style raised comb. Only the Springfield M21 stock had that and its a target stock... So no good stock solution existed (as far as wood stocks go) without a custom stock being made which would run me about $1k before I was done.

So I have to say I am kind of sick of the M14. I have a ton of money it in. Its almost my most expensive non-MG gun. I sure wish the FSA2013 would go away so I could sell it and buy a cheap Vietnam era style M14 and get an AR10 for what I was originally looking for. Scoping and Suppressing a M14 is really just not a good way to go. I agree with you... buy an AR10 and save yourself all the issues and over the top prices of the M14/M1A....

I know it. half the fun of guns is hanging all the chit on them, the rails, the flashlights, this doohickey, that doodad.

I know the M1A does not readily lend itself to much customizing after you buy it (same thing with my wife but that's an entirely other thread!), I can't help but I still like it. Although I really like the idea of adding an SR25/AR10 to the collection.

I dunno, the Garand, the M1A, the 1917, they are from another time and even without any doodads, they remind me of a different era of guns and people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom