• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Apologies if this question has been answered before, but I was wondering when the 1 month clock starts before you can buy another pistol. Is it when you get the email stating "Your application to purchase a regulated firearm from xxyyzz has been Not Disapproved by the Maryland State Police." or does it start when you take possession.

Thanks for the help.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Day 1 begins when you actually pick it up. Count to 31 on the calendar and that is the date that you can take transfer of another. You can, however, begin paperwork before that time has lapsed, and your "not disapproved" notification will automatically generate on day 31 when you can pick it up.

No downside to mailing in a MD designated collector application. Only cost me a few bucks for a notary at a FedEx store and was approved within a week.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmsCollectors.aspx

Free and never expires... How many other things can you say that about in this state..

Joncorleone

Sep 1, 2019
    +1 on getting designated collector status. Easy to fill out and just get it notarized and mail. Mine took about a week and got the email in the morning. No more 30 day cool off period

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Well, the 30-day clock goes away, but the 7-day clock remains with us. Until you get your C&R FFL.

It feels so American to get firearms in the mail, and not having to inform the Crown. Thirty bucks, and you can pretend you're a Citizen! Old guns are much more American than the stuff that gets made today.

IMHO, of course.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I believe you can buy two at once but not another for two months later. But yes do the designated collector status.

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    on a related topic, what happens if I cannot find my Designated Collector letter. I moved and now I have no idea where it's at. Does MD know, does the gun store need this paper work? I haven't really needed it since I can't afford to buy more than 1 gun every couple of months but this has been on my mind.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    on a related topic, what happens if I cannot find my Designated Collector letter. I moved and now I have no idea where it's at. Does MD know, does the gun store need this paper work? I haven't really needed it since I can't afford to buy more than 1 gun every couple of months but this has been on my mind.

You will never need to show your MD collector paperwork. Simply check the box YES for Designated Collector on the 77r application and go about your day.

MD State Police doing the NICS check holds this info.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    ...Your application has been Not Disapproved...

As an outsider, the wording is interesting. Just observing.

Its based on the letter of the law. The law doesn't give MSP authority to approve, only to "disapprove" or not, so "not disapproved" has become the legal term for what we would say is approval

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    So, you don’t need, and can’t get, .gov’s approval to purchase, you need .gov’s NOT DISAPPROVAL to purchase.

Its based on the letter of the law. The law doesn't give MSP authority to approve, only to "disapprove" or not, so "not disapproved" has become the legal term for what we would say is approval

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom