Ever do something to make you feel like the dumbest person on earth?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Installing the hammer spring backwards or forgetting to put the cotter pin back in the BCG makes for a fun day at the range!

I’ve done the backwards hammer spring thing twice. You’d think I would have learned after the first time.

First time it was almost all light strikes. Second time
    I got 2 light strikes in about 100 rounds and I only noticed it because I took it apart after the hammer pin was starting to walk (when I got the light strikes was that range session right before it backed out).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh, also specifically to “done something to make you feel like the dumbest person”...I mean I am married and have three kids.

So Imma have to say yes. Often.

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    Stupid stuff

Once I rotated the cam adjustment screws on a 1974 honda 450 180 degrees.
    I was actually able to obtain the proper clearance and the motor did not drop a valve until I was about 8 miles from home

Adam Conover

Aug 6, 2013
    I think anyone's honest answer to this question is "Yes". Very early on in my gun buying days I bought a WASR and immediately set about replacing the wood furniture with black Poly furniture from KVAR in order to make it look more tacticool. Although I was familiar with the gun for some reason that day I could not figure out why the gas tube wouldn't come off the rifle. After a few MINUTES of scratching my head I realized it helped a great deal if you actually strip the rifle and take out the bolt carrier and piston. I was staggered by how I hadn't realized I hadn't done this.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I got a great deal on a 1937 S42 (Mauser) P08 and found a YouTube video with detailed instructions on completely disassembling it. I followed the instructions, cleaned it thoroughly, lubed it up and looked for the re-assembly video. There was none, only a note buried in the comments on the original video..."for re-assembly reverse the above procedure". I got it back together with a lot of missteps and some colorful language. It works fine. Note to self: Make sure you have re-assembly instructions BEFORE disassembly.

Last edited:

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    I was at work, on a boat. I spent about 5 minutes looking for my sunglasses. My coworker asked what I was doing, told him I can't find my sunglasses, has he seen them? He asked if I meant the ones on my face. Yup.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I was at work, on a boat. I spent about 5 minutes looking for my sunglasses. My coworker asked what I was doing, told him I can't find my sunglasses, has he seen them? He asked if I meant the ones on my face. Yup.

Must be really comfortable glasses if you did not know you were wearing them.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    My most recent:
    I was 60’ up in a hickory tree removal (at my own house) that had a heavy lean directly over a shed and garage. I could not drop any of the tree straight down so I rigged a zip line or speed line for all limbs and trunk to fly out to land 50’ away instead of crushing the shed and garage.

All went well for quite awhile other than one specific piece of trunk. I’m still not sure exactly what happened but I had the 9/16” rigging rope tensioned like usual, I had the strap choked around the next piece of trunk to chunk off just like usual, and it was clipped onto the speed line hunky-dory, ready to fly, let’s go.

I cut that 20” piece of trunk off of the top of the tree 60’ in the air and wouldn’t you know, that bitch somehow came out of its choked sling and dropped straight down onto the roof of the shed like it was never choked to begin with. 30+ hours of hard and diligent work to keep the shed from being touched: absolutely wasted.

I still don’t know how that trunk piece escaped its choker sling, but I doubled up every single one after that.

Outside of an unrecognized squib and the subsequent good round swelling the barrel ~6 years ago, I can’t think of any gun related “special moments”.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    I once kept trying to load a .300 Savage cartridge into a 6.5 x 55 chamber, but it never fit so I am able to tell the tale.
    Later I ran a 30.06 piece of brass into the .300 Savage resizing die and created a wildcat cartridge with a really long neck.
    Let's not even add automobile mayhem to this thread or it will be waaay too long.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I once kept trying to load a .300 Savage cartridge into a 6.5 x 55 chamber, but it never fit so I am able to tell the tale.
    Later I ran a 30.06 piece of brass into the .300 Savage resizing die and created a wildcat cartridge with a really long neck.
    Let's not even add automobile mayhem to this thread or it will be waaay too long.
    Yeaaaaa we arent going to go into the car repair topic. That's a never ending rabbit hole just for me too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom