• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I love where your research ends up. Thank you for sharing your awesome find!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Really, this is an awesome find. Don't let Mawkie know though.:innocent0

I'm sooooooooo jazzed at seeing this!! I'm a huge naval history buff, esp. of the dreadnought period. I've seen Ross rifles from HMS Canada and of course the famous Winchester Lee Navy rifles salvaged from the USS Maine. But nothing from Pearl Harbor. Amazing find, hearty congratulations!!

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. This is one of my Holy Grails. The rifle was relatively cheap, the seller is one of my subscribers/clients and knew what he had. He said "I took pity on you." Which I am perfectly fine with.

Not all documented firearms are this exciting. Most are simple inspections, repair or lost memos, this is kinda outside the norm.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    THIS is why I love collecting firearms. Yes, I enjoy shooting but the story of a firearm is so fascinating to me. IMHO this 1903 is like a Porsche 917 that has a successful race history. It's what collectors pine after and chase.
    Thank you so much for posting. It was getting a little stale here. What a nice surprise!

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    THIS is why I love collecting firearms. Yes, I enjoy shooting but the story of a firearm is so fascinating to me. IMHO this 1903 is like a Porsche 917 that has a successful race history. It's what collectors pine after and chase.
    Thank you so much for posting. It was getting a little stale here. What a nice surprise!

Yeah it's crazy without the paperwork it's just a regular mixmaster rebuild. My mentor who got me into this always told me:

"people will always say, if this rifle could talk. Well it can just gotta speak the language."

I'm finishing up another one now. That one is just as intriguing I'll post it when I finish that one. But I'm waiting on my FOIA request with the Army, they still maintain the DCM sales records from pre-WWII.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Well done. A find like that isn't luck, it's lots and lots of hard work. Congratulations to you, sir!

Truth! And being educated enough on the subject to recognize a diamond when you see it. Then being fortunate enough to have the means to acquire it.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The concept of "luck" is much misunderstood. What most consider luck is really opportunity + preparation coming together. Sometimes you run into something great but aren't prepared to handle it. Sometimes you're prepared but the opportunity doesn't present itself. When you're prepared and the opportunity arises...you go for it.

If you buy a lottery ticket and it hits...that's luck.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. This is one of my Holy Grails. The rifle was relatively cheap, the seller is one of my subscribers/clients and knew what he had. He said "I took pity on you." Which I am perfectly fine with.

Not all documented firearms are this exciting. Most are simple inspections, repair or lost memos, this is kinda outside the norm.
    Define "cheap." Given the provenance, I'd tend to think that this rifle would be somewhat valuable.

Sirex