• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I think you just contradicted yourself.

I'm not seeing it. He said level the scope to the world and the rifle to you..this may mean a slight cant on the scope if the rifle is level to the ground.

I address this different ways. If it's a rifle I like to cant, that rifle gets a cant-adjustable buttpad if possible. That way I can level the scope to the rifle, but still have the important ergonomic interface between the shooter and rifle canted.

Most people cant their rifles. Everyone interested in precision should have a level on their rifle or their scope, depending on which one has been leveled to the world.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Actually, it is canting the SIGHTS that screws things up.

But basically, this is what I have been saying. Level your scope to the world, when you hold your rifle the way YOU hold it.

By "SIGHTS", did you mean scope? I don't think anyone was talking about canting sights.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    By "SIGHTS", did you mean scope? I don't think anyone was talking about canting sights.

You could do the same with iron sights.

Otherwise, if you dial in elevation for different distances, you will dial in some windage.

But yes, it is normally only done for scopes.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Some people believe they can hold the rifle in a vertical position but when you are out in the field there is no true reference for being horizontal to the horizon. Most people tend to use the horizon or the ground to estimate the position. This usually leads to unintentionally canting the rifle and inducing some amount of error, which at long ranges can be very significant. ( from the article and why you need the scope level product ) After reading paragraph 4 in the physics portion it seems to me that starting off with cross hairs that are not level compounds the problem with additional cant for compensating for the conditions stated above. Unless your scope is leveled to your rifle which eliminates a portion of the error. Deceleration of the projectile also compounds the effect when elevation corrections are made and even worse when the the axis of the bore is rotated around line of site inducing even more need for correction. Whats even worse is if you have a rifle that will only do one inch at a hundred yards which on the best day will be 10 inches at 1000 if it will even do that. Tubb explains in his master class videos the importance of keeping your rifle level for which the same language is included in the original article. In my opinion, utilizing an optic that is mounted with crooked cross-hairs to the machined portions of the platform is introducing a set of errors that can be easily eliminated by just leveling it if your interested in long range shooting. The whole thing sounds like a marketing tactic to me anyhow, I would much rather have a level inside the scope vs having to move my vision back and forth from the target anyhow, minus all the other factors included in the discipline.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If you cant a rifle step one is to find a good shooting coach to analyze your position and your equipment to see if there is something you are doing wrong. If nothing is wrong with your position or equipment you may be one of those people who has physical issues. As long as you can be consistent and the cant is always the same then you need to decide what you want your scope picture to look like. For whatever setup you end up with you should zero the scope with the ammunition you will be using and at each distance you will be shooting. Keep a detailed written record of the exact changes you need to make for each range and condition you will be shooting. It is your gun use it the way you want but do it the "right" way (right for you) if you want to be considered a good shot.

Do the same thing the same way every time so you maintain the proper sight picture and sight alignment until after the shot breaks and you have followed through is the key to good shooting.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Actually, not matter if you cant your rifle or not, you should have a scope mounted bubble level, so you can check that you have the cross hairs level.

One issue is, if the horizon is tilted (due to ground slope) you will tend to hold the cross hairs level to the horizon, rather than the real level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom