• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    Just over a year ago Clandestine posted about Numrich selling wood furniture for Mossbergs. I ordered a set right away.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=162493

I have a Pistol Grip Cruiser 500, which was an impulse buy a few years ago at 2A. I didn't love shooting it, and wanted more of a classic look. Last month I finally got off my ass and started the project.

The final result:
    IMG_0113.jpg

I accidentally ordered the butt stock with checkering, which was not my desired look, but decided to continue for sake of the education.

Stripped the wood with Citristrip and followed by mineral spirits, steamed out the impressed checkering, and sanded sanded sanded. Dyed the pieces with Fiebing's Dark Brown leather dye, and then 4 coats of real milk paint's tung oil. Had to make some minor adjustments with a dremel and sandpaper to get the buttstock to seat against the receiver.

As I finished the buttstock, I found some cracks I originally thought were just imperfections. I am probably going to order another buttstock to do it over, but the new wood will probably just sit in my basement. Overall I'm really pleased and had to show it off.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Very nice look. I still own (and rarely shoot anymore) an old Sears and Robuck mossberg 500 with an interchangeable slug barrel. It is old and ugly but has killed a lot of birds, deer, and varmint over the years.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    Thanks all. It was extremely satisfying to see the transformation. I may start looking for more older pieces that need a little help.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Yepp... Good lookin shotty... And I'm liking the heat shield too... It looks sort of "retro-ish"... like something I'd expect to see Elliot Ness carrying through old Chicago going after Scarface... :thumbsup:

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    Yepp... Good lookin shotty... And I'm liking the heat shield too... It looks sort of "retro-ish"... like something I'd expect to see Elliot Ness carrying through old Chicago going after Scarface... :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Now you have me thinking - I need to find a Winchester 1897 or 1912 perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom