• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    So Im going this Sunday to check out a 1891 ARGENTINE MAUSER CONVERTED TO 308... I know it has to be one made in the first few years of production because of the handguard (guess that's the correct term)... Is there anything else i need to be looking for?

thanks in advance

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    That action is very weak for .308. If it's the typical low-rent conversion, accuracy at 100 yards will be basketball size, assuming you underload the ammo to avoid the unpleasantries of bolt through the brain (no joke).

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Id pass on it............ 0 collector value and why would someone have converted it to begin with? Almost identical ballistics and yes, old action of questionable strength. Lot better econo guns out there.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Too many nice original 1891's out there to mess with a converted one. You can pick up a close to mint original one for 300 to 350 if you keep your eyes open. They shoot very well in the original 7.65 Argentine caliber.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Thanks guys for all the info...I think I'll pass on this mauser

Last edited:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    That action is very weak for .308. If it's the typical low-rent conversion, accuracy at 100 yards will be basketball size, assuming you underload the ammo to avoid the unpleasantries of bolt through the brain (no joke).

Id pass on it............ 0 collector value and why would someone have converted it to begin with? Almost identical ballistics and yes, old action of questionable strength. Lot better econo guns out there.

Thanks guys for all the info...I think I'll pass on this mauser

OP got the message.......:thumbsup::D

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Im still new to the gun world.... that s why I asked here as I know you guys wear the cone of knowledge on such matters... Lou glad to see your back sir

Sirex