• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I bought a few rifles and bayonets from Mark a couple years ago when he was active in selling the Russian captures, M91/30s, etc.

I called today to see what was the deal with their M14s, is there a loop hole I didn't know about.

They said Maryland is the only state in the country where an M14 is banned (that includes NY, CA and MA) which is why they are moving to SC this year come May 1st when their lease is up.

Is this old news?

If it is sorry for being behind in times.

It's kinda humiliating when you talk to gun shops in Massachusetts and the give you pity for your gun laws.

Last edited:

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    They said Maryland is the only state in the country where an M14 is banned (that includes NY, CA and MA) which is why they are moving to NC this year come May 1st when their lease is up.

Is this old news?

When I left NJ in 2001, the M14/M1A was banned there (along with the M1 Carbine). The only exception was if you belonged to a formal match shooting club and then the rifle had to stay locked up at the club facility when not on the range. Maybe things have changed up there since then.

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    I bought a few rifles and bayonets from Mark a couple years ago when he was active in selling the Russian captures, M91/30s, etc.

I called today to see what was the deal with their M14s, is there a loop hole I didn't know about.

They said Maryland is the only state in the country where an M14 is banned (that includes NY, CA and MA) which is why they are moving to NC this year come May 1st when their lease is up.

Is this old news?

It's kinda humiliating when you talk to gun shops in Massachusetts and the give you pity for your gun laws.

I see the owner(?) at AGC test firing guns all the time. He told me they were moving a few months ago due to MD laws. I wonder when the politicians will start to figure this out.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I was told over the phone it was NC. Probably a simple mistake. I'll correct it.

I know the law says C and R are exempt from the law but with the national press I've been running into issues with collecting. Has everyone had similar problems? I've been running into issues with some gun shops refusing to ship to MD even on WWI era firearms like a 1903. I'm not talking about refusing to ship to a C&R. I'm talking about refusing to deal with Maryland entirely due to the recent legislation that we all know and love!

Happened to me on 3 desperate occasions, following up with a Gun Broker auction.

Two involved 1903 Springfield Rifles. One involved a 1914 1911 Springfield. Even after e-mailing a PDF copy of the law to prove my case 2 out of 3 refused to ship.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I was told over the phone it was NC. Probably a simple mistake. I'll correct it.

I know the law says C and R are exempt from the law but with the national press I've been running into issues with collecting. Has everyone had similar problems? I've been running into issues with some gun shops refusing to ship to MD even on WWI era firearms like a 1903. I'm not talking about refusing to ship to a C&R. I'm talking about refusing to deal with Maryland entirely due to the recent legislation that we all know and love!

Happened to me on 3 desperate occasions, following up with a Gun Broker auction.

Two involved 1903 Springfield Rifles. One involved a 1914 1911 Springfield. Even after e-mailing a PDF copy of the law to prove my case 2 out of 3 refused to ship.

Mark has been planning to move for some time. Like us, he is fed up with Maryland's ridiculous gun laws and taxes.
    I wonder how many of those who refuse to ship to Maryland and/or other states realize that they are helping the anti gun crowd to accomplish their goals.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Mark has been planning to move for some time. Like us, he is fed up with Maryland's ridiculous gun laws and taxes.
    I wonder how many of those who refuse to ship to Maryland and/or other states realize that they are helping the anti gun crowd to accomplish their goals.

They said Marylands gun laws have become some complicated they don't even want to waste time trying to research it that it's just easier to ship elsewhere.

But yes you are right, they Re helping the anti gun crowd

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    When I left NJ in 2001, the M14/M1A was banned there (along with the M1 Carbine). The only exception was if you belonged to a formal match shooting club and then the rifle had to stay locked up at the club facility when not on the range. Maybe things have changed up there since then.

There are exceptions for match configuration M1As without flash hider and bayonet lug along with ARs that resemble Colt HBARs. This is supposedly due to the influence of an NJSP Major (now retired) who was also state high power captain.

http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_ag1.html

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Please... .they do. Not want any guns or. FFLs in MD at all.

Its good for James River.. neutral for us.and irrelevent to those that run the state..

When McCormick leaves they may get a clue.

When a DR from JHH gets attacked or killed by some crack head looking for a fix...they may notice..

By then it will be to late..

We need to get the miderates to understand that the state will be a total loss once the gov sector goes away..its when not if.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

Its happening because there is no simple way for people to find the laws and know if they are in compliance or not. An when I say simple, I mean w/o having to ferret around the MSP website. yes, anyone can post a link on MDS, but these people have no clue like we do how the law is on longguns and what is banned and what is not. They are not interested in spending the time to look it up or chance they are wrong. As an average Joe collector, I can not tell you off hand what is CA or NY compliant or not. One reason I'm not selling on Gunbroker. What DOES PISS ME OFF, is the yahoos that sell at Chantilly and won't sell a 22LR rifle to someone from MD. That's pathetic.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Hogan already said fighting gun control is off the table. he's only focusing on fiscal policy right now.

Jobs leaving the state, first Beretta and now James River are fiscal policy right now.

How many taxpayers have already left for the same reason? Hell, he even had a campaign ad asking if people were planning on leaving.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Mark has been indicating to me for the past ~ 5 years that he's been planning to move out of MD and has yet to do so. I'll believe it when I see it.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Mark has been indicating to me for the past ~ 5 years that he's been planning to move out of MD and has yet to do so. I'll believe it when I see it.

What I was told over the phone is he was waiting for his lease to expire and it does May 1st and he's not renewing.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007

They said Maryland is the only state in the country where an M14 is banned (that includes NY, CA and MA) which is why they are moving to SC this year come May 1st when their lease is up.

Is this old news?

you can still buy a polytech m14 in maryland.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom