• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    showimage.php
    [/url][/IMG]

Had a doe killed in the field the other day. Was out walking around this afternoon checking on things and saw this guy/gal digesting his lunch. Got within 10 feet of it for about 15 minutes by moving slowly and talking softly. Other then watching me, it barely moved the whole time. No band on its leg, but it seemed fairly used to being around people like it had been in captivity at some point. I've had a lot of cool experiences/encounters with wildlife, but this is going to be at the top of the list for a long time.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Those red-tails are something to behold. There was a huge one eating a roadkill squirrel in the middle of the road out front of Oregon Ridge Park in Hunt Valley a few years back that almost made me late to work because it abjectly REFUSED to get out of the road even with me yelling and honking my horn at it. I was afraid it was going to be hit by one of the many high-rate speeders that whip around the corner past the Oregon Grille so I gave my best effort at shooing it away. FAT CHANCE! The raptor barely looked up from it's meal even when I got out of my car and the look it finally gave me fell somewhere on the continuum between mildly-annoyed-at-my-impudence to one-step-closer-&-I-fvck-you-up!

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I see a hawk in my neighborhood sometimes. Those hawks are huge. I dont know if the bird eats well, and was fat or something, but that hawk was the size of an eagle, or that raven at the baltimore zoo...

Those hawks are no birds to mess around with.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Hawks are beautiful critters.

But can be a REAL PITA when you have chickens. We have one that regularly comes to torment the birds. Even attacked on 2 occasions.

Love to watch them when I'm in the woods, but could do without them at the house.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    He definatly eats well. Lots of small game and birds around. The nearby reforestation areas from developments have been great for the local wildlife.

ziptiespec

That's purely awesome. Any guess on wingspan? Sure looks like a big ass bird from your pic. There are a couple of hawks that I see pretty regularly. When I'm driving to work I always see what I think is the same hawk on 97/695. I've also been seeing a lot of bald eagles here on the Eastern Shore. If there's any chance to come back as an animal, I think I'd like to come back as a raptor.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I'm jealous.

Quit your job, tame it, and venture into the wilderness to live off the land!

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    Nice looking bird...... We had two of these on the porperty last week. One would feast and one would keep the buzzards away.

Attachments

• IMG_3706.jpg
      IMG_3706.jpg
      84.6 KB · Views: 334

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Cool pics. Awesome birds. Raptors are unique and somehow quite fascinating.

They are certainly spectacular birds. Hawks and bald headed eagles.

As a kid I can recollect my dad coaxing a falcon off our roof and onto his arm. We ended up keeping him. Had to feed him raw beef heart. He was remarkable. Having the priviledge of watching them up close is special.

Thanks again for sharing.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    When I lived in NE Baltimore we once had a hawk land in the yard and eat a rabbit it had caught. Quite a sight for my daughter, then about 7 or 8. Also had a kestrel grab a bird near a feeder once. And then there was the great white heron who thought the goldfish in our tiny pond looked tasty. Quite a show for inside the city limits.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    When I lived in NE Baltimore we once had a hawk land in the yard and eat a rabbit it had caught. Quite a sight for my daughter, then about 7 or 8. Also had a kestrel grab a bird near a feeder once. And then there was the great white heron who thought the goldfish in our tiny pond looked tasty. Quite a show for inside the city limits.
    Roger that. I hoping heron don't come to 4000' elevation. But if they do, I'm next hoping they don't find the koi in my pond. (they're a key protein source if the SHTF for me/mine)

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Hawks are beautiful critters.

But can be a REAL PITA when you have chickens. We have one that regularly comes to torment the birds. Even attacked on 2 occasions.

Love to watch them when I'm in the woods, but could do without them at the house.

Truth. We have one that found our chickens and practically live is our yard now. Wish it would go away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom