• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You must not be an attorney.
    I don't have to be afraid of someone attacking me with a knife in order to use lethal force. I know what could happen.

What you're saying is that if I wasn't afraid I should just stand there and get sliced open?

You must not be a confidently trained shooter.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    After reading through this thread a few days ago and knowing the most prudent advice given is to be prepared with a lawyer. I can not reply without agreeing we who will be made out to be the wrongdoer, absolutely need lawyers. We also would be well served to listen to what Massaad Ayoob has to say on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTs-ZKxS9SA

Last edited:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Are we debating whether there is a difference between saying "I was afraid he was going to kill me" versus "I thought he was going to kill me"?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If you can, have someone else make the 911 call, a spouse or whomever. be as clear and concise as possible without giving any info that could hurt you. Ideally have them call while you interact with the intruder that way they only have to say "there is an intruder in my home, I am unsafe and afraid for my life" or something similar. when the police arrive say the same thing. there was an intruder and i was afraid for my life and I want a lawyer. and obviously make sure whatever weapon was used has been made safe and is no longer on your person.

No, when the police arrive the only words out of your mouth should be “I won’t be speaking with you until my attorney is present”
    NOTHING ELSE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Also, there will be only one story regarding the events that took place. Be careful how you tell it.

wingsfan

Feb 11, 2017
    Ceciltucky
    There is no silver bullet, there are no "special words" that you need to tell the police when they arrive. Protecting your life or the lives of your family is the same whether or not you are home or not. If your life or someone else's is in immediate danger, deadly force CAN be used. I'm not saying there are never any other options. Sometimes maybe it's better to just get out of the situation, the house or wherever you find yourself. You have no "duty" to retreat in your own home, but it maybe a better option depending on the situation. You want a cut and dried answer when it comes to using deadly force. They don't exist. Each situation is different and people are different. One thing is certain, if you use deadly force, justified or not, you and your family will go through a living hell of dealing with police, attorney's, media, courts and public opinion. Think about this, before the incident. If you have already decided you can take a life to save another and if deadly force is your option, then go all out and end the threat. If not, don't half ass it, find another solution.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So, what people don't realize when someone says "don't talk to the cops", that day you would have spoken to the cops 3 times
    Responding officers
    Homicide investigator

Don't have someone else call 911. Their words will be used against you in court. Wife or not.

Even in a good shoot, your loved ones would be shocked at seeing that. Do you know what "OMG! HE JUST SHOT HIM!!" on that 911 recording sounds like to a 3rd person? Sounds like a murder just happened.

Me? I'm getting my initial call out, putting it on speaker, and dropping it on the floor.
    Evidence will speak for itself without me or a loved one gumming it up by giving a play by play Q&A with 911.
    Plus tactically, handling a weapon while on the phone is a no no.

My second call will be to CCWSafe. Everyone should have some coverage.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    So, what people don't realize when someone says "don't talk to the cops", that day you would have spoken to the cops 3 times
    Responding officers
    Homicide investigator

Don't have someone else call 911. Their words will be used against you in court. Wife or not.

Even in a good shoot, your loved ones would be shocked at seeing that. Do you know what "OMG! HE JUST SHOT HIM!!" on that 911 recording sounds like to a 3rd person? Sounds like a murder just happened.

Me? I'm getting my initial call out, putting it on speaker, and dropping it on the floor.
    Evidence will speak for itself without me or a loved one gumming it up by giving a play by play Q&A with 911.
    Plus tactically, handling a weapon while on the phone is a no no.

My second call will be to CCWSafe. Everyone should have some coverage.

Noted.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

I read through this entire thread. A lot of the opinions and tactics I've heard before. This is the first time I've heard this about calling 911. It makes sense but it's not something I would have considered. Thanks for sharing this.

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    I'm always appreciative of how rule-conforming your typical Maryland gun-owner always seems to be, even in the face of unconstitutional and oppressive legislation.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I am not reading all the replies as Dwelling is also curtilige which means a bunch more than your house. Don't be afraid to protect yourself. Just do it. Duty to retreat is relative. Don't talk to police if you have to defend yourself until YOU want to.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'm always appreciative of how rule-conforming your typical Maryland gun-owner always seems to be, even in the face of unconstitutional and oppressive legislation.

Usually it has to do with NOT wanting all the extra new rules that come with living in a prison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom