Can we stop calling them USMC Sight covers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Alright, I'm being sarcastic (let's get that out of the way now).

I was looking around in Archives in College Park and came across some interesting files that I was processing for my website. Thought I'd throw a few pictures up here.

I would have guessed that the Springfield Armory (most likely) or a contractor like Sedgley or even the USMC themselves produced the No. 10 sight covers. But apparently, the Navy's Bureau of Ordnance were the makers of the No. 10 sight covers for the Marines.

m6e6ptU.jpg

Also, the Infantry Board also conducted a test of the No. 10 sights in 1919 which concluded in 1920. The purpose of the test was to either refute or validate that the "Marine type sight" claims that "better results can be obtained with rapid fire at ranges within 600 yards, also gives better results for rifles equipped with telescopic rifle sights or intended for long range fire. A decrease in glare of light on front sight is also claimed.

30 men were involved in the test, 15 fired their rifles with standard sights and 15 with the Marine type sights and then switched back. Then they were asked which they preferred. 5 of the 30 preferred the USMC type sights, the rest preferred the standard sights.

Here are some pictures from the Infantry Board Report.

What is interesting is the rifle pictured sports a flat top handguard and a single bolt (possibly a no-bolt stock).

DSHz7tS.jpg

58E8Xmj.jpg

Among the conclusions from the report were that the Marine type sights provide no superiority over the standard sights. And the better results claimed could not be obtained.

And sorry gents, no serial numbers in the report.

The earliest I can find on the USMC sights are 10,000 (rear drifts) being ordered September 1918.

Anyways enjoy the pics. Happy Sunday!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    IMG_0801.jpg This is a BB repo I keep on a shooter rifle.
    I have made sight blades for other rifles that mimic the USMC type but not quite as wide. I think they work a little better with the 05 sight when its sunny out.
    The hoods are made to be left on the rifle, (as you already know) spring tension is significantly more than the types that are meant to be discarded.

If you move about or transport your rifle a lot, these are the ones to have. You can actually shoot with them.
    There was one for sale the other day on another forum included in a parts lot, should have bought it!
    Thanks for posting the information from your research efforts.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    View attachment 238550 This is a BB repo I keep on a shooter rifle.
    I have made sight blades for other rifles that mimic the USMC type but not quite as wide. I think they work a little better with the 05 sight when its sunny out.
    The hoods are made to be left on the rifle, (as you already know) spring tension is significantly more than the types that are meant to be discarded.

If you move about or transport your rifle a lot, these are the ones to have. You can actually shoot with them.
    There was one for sale the other day on another forum included in a parts lot, should have bought it!
    Thanks for posting the information from your research efforts.

Very nice, thanks for sharing the pic! I haven't done much shooting lately, hard to get to the range with young kids around and not old enough to shoot.

If you like this, more exciting stuff in the works. Documentation on M1903 SN 1 as well as "trench gun" stuff that's sure to break a lot of hearts.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I don't understand the "Can we stop calling them USMC Sight covers?" Unless you mean we should call them Haitian Gendarmerie covers. I thought Marines wore their covers on their heads, anyway.

I do have one of these sight covers, by the way, as well as the wider front sight blade. That narrow blade doesn't work for my eyes.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I don't understand the "Can we stop calling them USMC Sight covers?" Unless you mean we should call them Haitian Gendarmerie covers. I thought Marines wore their covers on their heads, anyway.

I do have one of these sight covers, by the way, as well as the wider front sight blade. That narrow blade doesn't work for my eyes.

I was being sarcastic (why I put the disclaimer at the top), with regards the Navy made them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom