President Teddy Roosevelt's Sporting 1903 with documentation (picture heavy)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    I did some additional digging and found that JFK was a shooter and had a nice collection. An NRA member, he got a Garand through the DCM and had an Army armorer bring it to match condition. Probably the one thing I can say I have in common with a president.

Reagan was also a firearms guy and NRA member (despite the 1985 Hughes mess) and owned of all things an MBA Gyrojet pistol, which he loved to shoot.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Reagan was also a firearms guy and NRA member (despite the 1985 Hughes mess) and owned of all things an MBA Gyrojet pistol, which he loved to shoot.

Man, too bad Ronnie has passed. How cool would it have been to get something like a bit of MBA advertising signed by him.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I realize $15 was a ton of money back then, just kind of funny to think about them being concerned about an amount of money most of us would see as trivial any more.

Maybe he was hoping Roosevelt would balk at the price, rather than telling him the real reason for not wanting to do the requested work. Apparently the technology at the time wasn't mature enough to ensure that the barrel wasn't damaged.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Maybe he was hoping Roosevelt would balk at the price, rather than telling him the real reason for not wanting to do the requested work. Apparently the technology at the time wasn't mature enough to ensure that the barrel wasn't damaged.

I don't think it would be so much the barrel as the checkering on the front ring of the action. The receiver is case hardened and would have to be annealed near the bolt lugs or the work done before final hardened and protected from scale because of the detailed work.
    The roll-mark is also on the left hand side which means they would have to hold it (the receiver) a different way to make that happen.
    Maybe the process was just described in general or layman's terms as "the barrel" hoping someone would agree.
    Cutting the Bull Moose a rifle with soft bolt lugs is probably something someone didn't want on their resume. No fact check on dates but TR may have already disapproved of the rod bayonet by the time the rifle was built.
    SmokeEater would know, that conversation may have also been part of the discussion with the request for the rifle maybe.
    The rifle reminds me of a Sedgely without the bling or extra weight.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    "I want the butt just like my present butt, only one inch shorter."

om3i.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member