• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    I've owned my. Sr1911 for almost 4 years and calling Ruger tomorrow and asking for yet another front site.
    This will be the third front site that has broken..it always breaks where the base and post meet. My 1911 has it s own case and is secured from sliding or bouncing around while transporting...

Anyone else have this issue or did you just change out the stock sites and if so with what?

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I've owned mine since it was first released. Never had an issue with the sights or anything else.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Two... SR and SR-CMD, no problems in sight...

However, I can't rule out the possibility that it may happen at some point. :shrug:
    IIRC... they were originally using MIM fabricated sights up front (rears are Novak) and you may have simply been fortunate enough to get several sights from a bad batch which they received from the supplier.

If mine ever break, I'll probably have Ruger replace them.

You may want to check your return spring or install a recoil buffer. If the spring is too weak and the slide is hammering into the guide rod plate as it contacts the barrel lug channel, the impact may be what is causing the sight to crack and break at the point where it mounts to the slide.

Another possibility would be that when installing the sight... the MIM part gets pinched in the dovetail join and causes a crack which continues to split as the pistol is fired, until it completely breaks off.

Or a combination of the two...

At any rate... it's a well discussed phenomena on several forums. And Ruger has been very good about providing assistance with it.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I have a SR1911 that went back to Ruger twice. Once for the front sight breaking off and the 2nd time was due to the frame impacting the front lip of the slide and pounding out metal, they worked the slide groves out to eliminate the metal to metal issue. Since yours has had several front sights replaced I would ask them to replace it this time with the fiber optic version.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I've had a CMD for awhile and sight is still on the slide.
    There was a bad batch of front sights installed for awhile. Since you say the blade is breaking off the base I would look for marks on the slide where the front sight passes over the nondovetail part of the slide. If there are marks, the slide just to the front and/or rear of the sight may not be relieved. Or the sight could be relieved...that is the route I would take if this were the case.
    Another thing to look for is installation tooling marks on the sight. If high and the sight was bent then bent back...stress point.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    That was a common occurrence from the earlier batches. Ruger will make it right. Since you say your gun is 4 years old, have you checked under the grips? If not, check there too before sending it back. This vintage of SR1911 also suffered from a fairly severe corrosion issue under the grips. Ruger attributed it to whatever finish they used on the grips reacting adversely to the stainless of the grip frame. Mine did have this issue which was handled promptly by Ruger. I am still waiting for the front sight to shear off, but after having about 1100 rounds through it so far with no issue, mine may not have a problem.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    Stop playing around with the warranty and getting there junk parts . Just take it to a gunsmith or someone that can put decent sights on it . Maybe novak or wilson .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom