• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Funny though RD, you actually hit on all four of my excuses I proposes someone could use!

One fix would be to not offer the service at all. I mean, don't MOST people work between the hours of 8AM and 4PM?

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    I would suggest an easy fix.

Like many service folks, I bill more for my time when working for a client during non-business hours, i.e. evenings and weekends.

MSP could do the same thing $10 for transfers during normal business hours, $40 for off business hours.....

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    MSP could do the same thing $10 for transfers during normal business hours, $40 for off business hours.....

That's the thing though, they are a 24/7/365 "Troop", there is always someone sitting back there behind that glass.

Maybe they should change THAT? I mean, 911 is dispatched from the Sheriffs office here, how is it done elsewhere in the State?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I posted earlier:

I emailed the Licensing Division inquiring about their Barracks Firearm Transfer Hours, and was told specifically that the barrack sets their own times for these. There's no "across the board" times or days...

Mondays and Wednesdays from 10-11AM then,..... why not?

The "Barracks" shouldn't be left to set hours on this.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    After the debacle in Belair, I wanted an "official" answer, and emailed them.

My question to them, was:

"Does the MSP have specific days and/or times that they will do firearm transfers, or is each barracks different?"

I wasn't sure, but I actually saved the reply:

Sir,

Yes, some barracks have specific times when they process Secondary Sales.

Thank you,

Cpl. Jason Edwards
    Corporal Jason Edwards
    Maryland State Police
    Licensing Division
    Firearms Registration Unit
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, Maryland 21208
    Direct: 410-653-4508
    Office: 410-653-4621
    Fax: 410-486-6360 (77R Only)
    Fax: 410-653-4036 All Other Faxes

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    That's the thing though, they are a 24/7/365 "Troop", there is always someone sitting back there behind that glass.

Maybe they should change THAT? I mean, 911 is dispatched from the Sheriffs office here, how is it done elsewhere in the State?

There are many companies that provide 24/7 service but you still pay more for the service if used on what is considered non-business hours.....just call a plumber or HVAC tech, that advertises 24/7 service, in the middle of the night.

It is not like there aren't many other options for transferring a firearm....wonder what many of you do when you encounter a real problem in life.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    ....wonder what many of you do when you encounter a real problem in life.

I go to my local gun shop, pay (apparently) half of what the rest of you are getting smoked for. ;)

If they want to be the POC for gun transfers (rather than retailers using NICS), they should have reasonable hours to accommodate what they're in charge of.

Why not scale the pricing at the MVA too?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Personally I have an FFL that lives across a cornfield, and has business presissis within 4mi , and very reasonable transfer fee.

BUT ... IF the State is going to require (whatever) , they have an obligation to make it actually available to the Public. If a particular barrak Commander decides to be obstructionist for whatever reason ( even potentially for semi-resionable to him reasons), we are NOT the assh***S if we stand up for equitqble treatment. Depending on haow you define the particular organic fertilizer and gravitational effect, it is either the MGA , the MSP higher levels, the MSP Supt, or his boss he reports to. If the MGA creates a duty for them that *might* require extra effort , or increased staffing, the Public ain't the bad guys here.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Personally I have an FFL that lives across a cornfield, and has business presissis within 4mi , and very reasonable transfer fee.

BUT ... IF the State is going to require (whatever) , they have an obligation to make it actually available to the Public. If a particular barrak Commander decides to be obstructionist for whatever reason ( even potentially for semi-resionable to him reasons), we are NOT the assh***S if we stand up for equitqble treatment. Depending on haow you define the particular organic fertilizer and gravitational effect, it is either the MGA , the MSP higher levels, the MSP Supt, or his boss he reports to. If the MGA creates a duty for them that *might* require extra effort , or increased staffing, the Public ain't the bad guys here.

If the MGA is going to create a duty that requires extra staffing then it is also the job of the MGA to provide funding for that staffing.

While the public aren't the bad guys, neither are the MSP. There plenty of places to take care of a transfer if days offered by the Belair barracks is inconvenient.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Transfers are not the primary purpose of MSP barracks. They offer it as a courtesy. Only Pikesville is specifically for that. As explained to me by a very friendly trooper in Westminster and Jessup, They get busy with other things that really matter after 5:00. As you can imagine night time is their busiest time for crime etc. All troopers I've done transfers with were very friendly and only one anti have I encountered. During the SB281 they were pulling troopers off the road to try and keep up. They didn't create this mess or want it. Nowadays most barracks are doing very few transfers so it would not make sense to reassign someone just to do them. Where would the money come from? Really, have you ever seen the conditions of the buildings they work in? They made it legal for LGS' to do them for people's convenience and set the price at $20. Nobody seems to be squawking or filing a complaint that their LGS charges $50 and up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom