Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Well just to be clear,
    I want the piece for my wife,
    I want a wheel gun, i would go with a smith,ruger or a colt
    But what I find is either too old or too expensive

Is she looking to carry it, shoot it for fun, home defense, or a combination of all three? Unless it is just for carry, a little more barrel would make it a lot more effective.

Of course. It’s for a woman so it has to be a small revolver. :rolleyes:

Yeah...happens all the time :sad20:...I hope that is not the case...

JChris

Jan 10, 2021
    Clarksburg
    Is she looking to carry it, shoot it for fun, home defense, or a combination of all three? Unless it is just for carry, a little more barrel would make it a lot more effective.
    Home defense,
    A snub is more difficult to get away from a person determined to hold on to it

Yeah...happens all the time :sad20:...I hope that is not the case...

A medium cal revolver is a very good choice for a person unused to firearms

If she wants something heavier the 1911 is not out of reach

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    A medium cal revolver is a very good choice for a person unused to firearms

If she wants something heavier the 1911 is not out of reach

I completely agree with that...except for the snub nosed part (unless it is going to be carried concealed)
    Both Taurus and RIA offer similarly priced models with 3 inch barrels (Taurus can get you to 4 with the 85). That extra inch of barrel gives and increased sight radius, increased velocity, and reduced muzzle blast and felt recoil.

Between Taurus and RIA, personally I'd favor the Taurus. They are supposed to have a good warranty. Also, they use the S&W style push to open cylinder release that is a lot more ubiquitous and (The Original Mexican Bob may disagree :o) more user friendly than the Colt type on the RIA.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    They are supposed to have a good warranty. Also, they use the S&W style push to open cylinder release that is a lot more ubiquitous and (The Original Mexican Bob may disagree :o) more user friendly than the Colt type on the RIA.

Not gonna agree or disagree...you gotta train and use it until how it operates becomes second nature...the revolver becomes an extension of your hand and working the action becomes reflexive...you don't want to have to stop and think during stress "Do I pull or push the cylinder release?"

If you want a revolver for defense...pick a S&W style push release, a Colt type pull release, a Dan Wesson release forward of the cylinder. Pick one and train with it. Other types to collect and occasionally shoot are one thing but for serious social work pick one style and become proficient with it.

Also...decide whether your wife is OK with an aluminum frame or steel frame revolver...aluminum weighs less for her purse but transmit more felt recoil...steel adds weight but absorb recoil. The choices in ammunition are many...some lighter recoiling loads may not be up to stopping a determined attacker...maybe. There are some quite effective loads designed strictly for snubbies.

Many snubbies have long and hard trigger pulls...some don't. You probably won't find all the desired characteristics in one revolver...it will be a compromise.

To my way of thinking thee are the required characteristics a self defense handgun (in this case a snubby) must have...

1) must be 100% reliable...nothing less will do;
    2) must be controllable in the hands of the user;
    3) must fire a round sufficiently capable of stopping a determined attacker;
    4) must be easily carried by the user and quickly brought into action.

There are other things to look for but those are the primary characteristics. Notice I didn't specify accuracy...while not to discount accuracy we're not talking about shooting matches. This is life or death and repeatable accuracy where you need to place the rounds and spread trauma immediately is more important than the ability to place repeated rounds in the x-ring of a target at 25 yards.

Any snub nosed revolver of any make that can fulfill those requirements is a good choice. Everything else is more or less immaterial. We're not talking barbecue guns here.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I’d just buy her a Pony!

Attachments

• 6FF15B6F-86C8-4C6B-A640-267E193BE88D.jpg
      6FF15B6F-86C8-4C6B-A640-267E193BE88D.jpg
      47.7 KB · Views: 197

JChris

Jan 10, 2021
    Clarksburg
    Not sure this is how I'd justify my money on a life insurance policy (age, cost).

Age in this case, if the condition is good (low round count, well cared for, etc.), a slightly more expensive gun might be worth the difference in cost due to QUALITY.

That said I owned a Taurus and had zero problems with it. From what I've read their QC is spotty. If you get a good one it works fine, if not you have problems. I just found out I was more interested in semi-autos than revolvers.But that's just me.

How experienced is your wife? Has she shot much? What are HER choices (when you go out to dinner do you order for her or let her choose)?

finding a decent used revolver with those qualities is quite difficult these days

my wife has no experience at all, but she is warming up to the HQL class.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Not gonna agree or disagree...you gotta train and use it until how it operates becomes second nature...the revolver becomes an extension of your hand and working the action becomes reflexive...you don't want to have to stop and think during stress "Do I pull or push the cylinder release?"

If you want a revolver for defense...pick a S&W style push release, a Colt type pull release, a Dan Wesson release forward of the cylinder. Pick one and train with it. Other types to collect and occasionally shoot are one thing but for serious social work pick one style and become proficient with it.

Also...decide whether your wife is OK with an aluminum frame or steel frame revolver...aluminum weighs less for her purse but transmit more felt recoil...steel adds weight but absorb recoil. The choices in ammunition are many...some lighter recoiling loads may not be up to stopping a determined attacker...maybe. There are some quite effective loads designed strictly for snubbies.

Many snubbies have long and hard trigger pulls...some don't. You probably won't find all the desired characteristics in one revolver...it will be a compromise.

To my way of thinking thee are the required characteristics a self defense handgun (in this case a snubby) must have...

1) must be 100% reliable...nothing less will do;
    2) must be controllable in the hands of the user;
    3) must fire a round sufficiently capable of stopping a determined attacker;
    4) must be easily carried by the user and quickly brought into action.

There are other things to look for but those are the primary characteristics. Notice I didn't specify accuracy...while not to discount accuracy we're not talking about shooting matches. This is life or death and repeatable accuracy where you need to place the rounds and spread trauma immediately is more important than the ability to place repeated rounds in the x-ring of a target at 25 yards.

Any snub nosed revolver of any make that can fulfill those requirements is a good choice. Everything else is more or less immaterial. We're not talking barbecue guns here.

Mostly just poking because you're a Colt guy :poke: I only have one Colt revolver (so far ;) ) and a mess of Rugers and Taurae. Just about every new (even brand new) shooter I've handed a Ruger or Taurus to seems to instinctually be able to open it (maybe from TV, or just intuitive ergonomics). The Colt has given pause to even some (otherwise) very experienced shooters. You are, of course, correct in that training is key.

I'm still concerned about a new (and perhaps hesitant) shooter starting out with the choices of a snub nosed .38 or a 1911. Hopefully she goes to a thorough HQL class that puts some options in her hand, or at least is given the opportunity to something more pleasant to try out before comitting to either snubbie.

My wife is very much not a new shooter (routinely shooting 3-gun, Steel, and now IDPA matches). She likes 9mm, but has shot pretty much all of my guns. Given the only choices of LCR in .38 or a 1911, she'd pick the 1911 (even the old hammer-bitey one) every time...for shooting comfort (not carrying comfort...that's a whole other situation, which, as far as I can tell, the OP hasn't addressed).

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I recently purchased a Kimber Micro 9...basically a miniature 1911 9mm. It may be a viable choice for your wife if she's into the 1911 platform. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet but I'm expecting it to be an excellent tool for its purpose.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    I recently purchased a Kimber Micro 9...basically a miniature 1911 9mm. It may be a viable choice for your wife if she's into the 1911 platform. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet but I'm expecting it to be an excellent tool for its purpose.

I've purchased one for my daughter and am pleasantly surprised with the accuracy and reliability.

Feels nice in the hand for it's size!

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Small centerfire snubnosed revolvers, and some poly semiautos, are tools for experienced shooters. Even then they tend to not be shot much.

Even large frame centerfire snub revolvers. I carry a S&W 686+ every day. That 2.5 inch barrel took a lot of getting used to. I'm glad I had been proficient with 4 and 6 inch barrels before went with this one.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Tell us about yourself for those who would want to know. Me on the other hand...
    e7376422db8b4f6ee9c4df0901666cfa.jpg

Yeah we all know you are always right and your opinion is more valid than anyone else's. As soon as I saw this thread title I knew I'd see you chime in and crap on everyone who thinks slightly different than you.

this very situation came up for me recently when my uncle's wife wanted a pistol. Everyone told her to get a small revolver. I let her shoot my G43 and she loved it. I ended up selling it to her as she had her HQL. Different strokes for different folks. You are an expert on you and no one else.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah we all know you are always right and your opinion is more valid than anyone else's. As soon as I saw this thread title I knew I'd see you chime in and crap on everyone who thinks slightly different than you.

this very situation came up for me recently when my uncle's wife wanted a pistol. Everyone told her to get a small revolver. I let her shoot my G43 and she loved it. I ended up selling it to her as she had her HQL. Different strokes for different folks. You are an expert on you and no one else.
    Actually, I said not a thing about suggesting a pistol.
    All those who lack in reading comprehension suggesting something other than TWO choices the op asked about.

And yes. I'm pretty much always right when it comes to self defense shooting.

What's your life expertise? Are you good and experienced at anything?

Btw, your uncle's wife doesn't know how to do a malfunction drill under stress

It's not always what someone thinks they like It's what is the easiest under stress. But you don't know that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom