• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So I apologize for asking more questions.

I am torn on the trust vs no trust. A single shot trust from SS is only $25. However I know my wife is unlikely in her lifetime to have any interest in borrowing a suppressor. I’ll be lucky if she gets interested in shooting a 22lr. Period.

Now it would be nice to have my kids on there once they are old enough. But I kind still don’t see them borrowing one. If they are old enough, they can get their one suppressors like their pa had to :-)

In the event of death stuff sure makes it easier, but it would transfer to my wife or next of kin without having to pay a tax stamp if it was still issued to me rather than a trust. But of course some more hassle. It would also let me give the suppressors to my kids once I got too damn old be shooting and downsizing everything.

In part I am waffling a little as I haven’t figured out what and where to get one. If it’s a SS reseller with kiosk, $25 extra for saving some possible hassle in some future decade (many decades from now I hope) and maybe a bit of utility in case my wife comes around (that’s going to take years if ever) seems worth while.

But if I find a dealer who has what I want at a good price, am I sticking myself with a ton more hassle by just transferring it as an individual on a form 4 if they don’t have a SS Kiosk?

Also am I going to have to go through a bunch of hassle to get fingerprints and wallet photos if I don’t do SS kiosk?

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Do the trust. Really to me is that simple. Single shot is easy, cheap and can be amended with only a notary’s assistance in the future.

Really recommend Baltimore’s best pawn for this as they have made this process very simple for me in the past. They can get anything from SilencerShop you want pretty quickly as well.

It is more of a hassle to not do the trust. You will need prints and pictures. The SilencerShop ap on your phone allows you to take pictures and upload them to your “packet.” Once all boxes on the packet are checked, dealer sends in the packet to atf.

Save your self or your family the headache down the road. Leave the can to a kid of yours. If they become of age and want to borrow it, visit your local notary and sign a paper that is included with the trust. No other paperwork required.

Have fun!

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Example of why you might want a trust: you store NFA items in a safe your wife/child/whoever you want on the trust has access to.

Another example: Maryland bans Silencers and mandates buyback/confiscation. You add a buddy who lives in a state where they are legal to your trust and store said items there. Maryland cries at lost opportunity to virtue signal.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Now it would be nice to have my kids on there once they are old enough. But I kind still don’t see them borrowing one. If they are old enough, they can get their one suppressors like their pa had to :-)

... am I sticking myself with a ton more hassle by just transferring it as an individual on a form 4 if they don’t have a SS Kiosk?

Also am I going to have to go through a bunch of hassle to get fingerprints and wallet photos if I don’t do SS kiosk?

I would say, do the trust. The Trust will cost an extra penny but does open up good opportunities.

Its not much trouble to get fingerprinted and stop by RiteAid and get a passport photo... really not much trouble at all. I have done it many times.

Example of why you might want a trust: you store NFA items in a safe your wife/child/whoever you want on the trust has access to.

Another example: Maryland bans Silencers and mandates buyback/confiscation. You add a buddy who lives in a state where they are legal to your trust and store said items there. Maryland cries at lost opportunity to virtue signal.

The first example is BS lawyers use to sell trusts. This idea that you have to protect your suppressor against your own family is BS. There are plenty of NFA items way to big to fit into a safe. The idea that you need a bank safe to store NFA items to keep them away from family is BS. There is no requirement that says that. Your family can't take them on their own but your house is your house. NFA has been around since 1934. You really think they had tons of gun safes back then...

I don't know if the second example would work either. I just don't know there.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    So if I leave my house for two months at a time for work, then I shouldn't take responsibility for securing the NFA items I have stored there, even though that's what the law says I need to do?

How about if I'm in the middle of a move out of Maryland and I have to store my NFA items at a friend's house so the house we are selling can be properly staged?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    So if I leave my house for two months at a time for work, then I shouldn't take responsibility for securing the NFA items I have stored there, even though that's what the law says I need to do?

How about if I'm in the middle of a move out of Maryland and I have to store my NFA items at a friend's house so the house we are selling can be properly staged?

What about when you go to work for a normal day. How about a trip out to get TP?

Seriously, I think we all know what we are talking about there. If you are going away for 2 months, don't leave your front door open. However leaving them in a safe that your wife still has access to is not going to be an issue. On the other hand storing them with a friend is different. Thats not your home and so they must be locked with your friend not having access.... however even this... what can you do that you friend can't access? A Master lock... about 5 mins with an angle grinder and he is blasting away.

The point it, lets not over due things and get all afraid about nothing. A trust is not some security blanket. Thats some BS the Lawyers are using to sell more trusts.

Ever wonder how the guys who own tanks with DD main guns store them? You think they lock them away in a safe?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What about when you go to work for a normal day. How about a trip out to get TP?

Seriously, I think we all know what we are talking about there. If you are going away for 2 months, don't leave your front door open. However leaving them in a safe that your wife still has access to is not going to be an issue. On the other hand storing them with a friend is different. Thats not your home and so they must be locked with your friend not having access.... however even this... what can you do that you friend can't access? A Master lock... about 5 mins with an angle grinder and he is blasting away.

The point it, lets not over due things and get all afraid about nothing. A trust is not some security blanket. Thats some BS the Lawyers are using to sell more trusts.

Ever wonder how the guys who own tanks with DD main guns store them? You think they lock them away in a safe?

They leave the hatch unlocked just like a convertible. Do you know how expensive it is to fix a top if someone cuts through it?

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017

Just to be clear, the two circumstances I listed are actual examples from my life. My point is that a trust offers flexibility and simplifies my family's mobile lifestyle. To me, that was worth the grand total of $125 for a basic trust. I don't really feel like ATF is out to get anyone who makes a clear attempt to follow the law, but I have wasted $125 on dumber things for dumber reasons.

Others may not care. It sounds like the high rollers with all the cool toys don't. Cool. Glad that perspective is included in this discussion too.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    They leave the hatch unlocked just like a convertible. Do you know how expensive it is to fix a top if someone cuts through it?
    My brother in law's buddy managed to get his hand sandwiched in a tank hatch when he was in the Army. Looked like hamburger but the surgeons they sent him to did a fantastic job and there was surprisingly little permanent damage, if any.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Just to be clear, the two circumstances I listed are actual examples from my life. My point is that a trust offers flexibility and simplifies my family's mobile lifestyle. To me, that was worth the grand total of $125 for a basic trust. I don't really feel like ATF is out to get anyone who makes a clear attempt to follow the law, but I have wasted $125 on dumber things for dumber reasons.

Others may not care. It sounds like the high rollers with all the cool toys don't. Cool. Glad that perspective is included in this discussion too.

I agree that Trusts are worth it. I have 4 trusts myself as I have 4 suppressors and that way I can put whoever I whatever trust I want. I would have more but most of my recent MGs were C&R which can't come in on trusts. However I am using trusts for all non C&R NFA items. So we agree its worth it.

I just think people start taking the NFA world to seriously. Following more than the letter of the law. Worried if I change a barrel on my SBR that I need to get a letter off to the ATF the day before they do so... like the ATF cares. I switch barrel length on some of my MGs several times a day. In this case, people have been living with NFA items since 1934 and most of the issues with access have never been an issue in those 85 years. Lets not overdue it now... Then everyone hears it and it somehow becomes standard practice, like carrying your NFA paperwork on you... it does not help things in the long run. Follow the law, and the spirit of the law. Lets not dive off the deep end taking the law to be mean more than it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom