• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    gotcha... I just bought one of these... to good to pass up at that price. Will likely get the FSB shaved down (or do it myself)... Cant be to hard....

Wanna buy an A2 upper? LOL.

I bought a 10.5” BA barrel for $120 with shipping earlier today.

The FSB is super easy to shave down. Hacksaw, then shape with Dremel.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019

I just bought a brand new Axelson USA Forged upper and lower receiver set for $165 and thinking of fitting it with the brand new Colt 11.5 FBI HRT and BCG I have up for sale on here instead. Will likely keep this 14.5" I just bought for a future build.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019

do you have a picture of the A2 receiver?

Shaner

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 13, 2019
    No. MSP guidance says if it is marketed as an HBAR, it’s GTG.

Yes. Pin and weld is easy enough. Still worth it.

Great. Now I have some more shopping to do. I may finally piece together a Block 2 clone.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    It might not say HBAR but damn if they aren’t. I have some Colt M4A1 from years ago. They are boat anchors. I paid much more than these too. They look good except for the stamping looks a little rushed. Get a extended a2 flash hider pinned and you are good to go.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I'd pick one or two of these if I didn't just dump a boatload of $ into two builds I am completing. I think my Fiance would lose it if more parts showed up in the mail after multiple "this is the last box, I promise".

Criterion has explicitly stated to me (and others) that they will stamp (laser engrave) HBAR on any barrel in their inventory that isn't a straight M4 profile. Since most of their contours are either "Hybrid" (akin to SOCOM profile), CORE, and HEAVY, they all fall under what they can sell as an HBAR.

Hard to beat this price though for the real deal.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    ...Criterion has explicitly stated to me (and others) that they will stamp (laser engrave) HBAR on any barrel in their inventory that isn't a straight M4 profile. Since most of their contours are either "Hybrid" (akin to SOCOM profile), CORE, and HEAVY, they all fall under what they can sell as an HBAR...

Can you please expound on this? Who is Criterion? I picked up two of these and as a resident of not so Merryland, should I concern myself with this? I mean hell, why not get a pencil barrel and have it engraved? Is an HBAR designated such because it meets or exceeds a specific weight? Would MSP or other entity actually weigh a barrel?

Odd questions? Understand that I *should* be met with skepticism given my post count/tenure here so I understand if there is reluctance to answer me.

Cheers,

Mark

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Can you please expound on this? Who is Criterion? I picked up two of these and as a resident of not so Merryland, should I concern myself with this? I mean hell, why not get a pencil barrel and have it engraved? Is an HBAR designated such because it meets or exceeds a specific weight? Would MSP or other entity actually weigh a barrel?

Odd questions? Understand that I *should* be met with skepticism given my post count/tenure here so I understand if there is reluctance to answer me.

Cheers,

Mark

The HBAR requirement does not have a dimension. Yes, the law is written poorly. The deal is that the manufacturer has to advertise a barrel as HBAR for it to be MD legal.

Criterion is these guys.

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/

Centurion also has some HBAR models, and they will laser engrave them as an option.

https://www.centurionarms.com/barrels-s/1514.htm

X-Caliber too.

http://www.x-caliber.net/

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

Cheers,

Mark

Yes, you might get away with engraving HBAR on a skinny barrel. But hiring a lawyer gets expensive real quick compared to buying a decent HBAR barrel. Also, you could easily buy a 14.5 (or shorter) skinny profile barrel, and build an AR pistol instead of a rifle. Lots of guys go that route, as there is no barrel profile requirement for AR pistols.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Yes, you might get away with engraving HBAR on a skinny barrel. But hiring a lawyer gets expensive real quick compared to buying a decent HBAR barrel. Also, you could easily buy a 14.5 (or shorter) skinny profile barrel, and build an AR pistol instead of a rifle. Lots of guys go that route, as there is no barrel profile requirement for AR pistols.

I'd agree that stamping HBAR on a pencil or skinny barrel is pushing it, but the language of the MSP law is so vague, that even in that instance, they would not be able to file formal charges.

Check out this FAQ from Columbia River Arms - they have literally outlined which of their barrels are deemed "HBAR" as clarified by MSP. They included every profile except for pencil or M4.

https://columbiariverarms.com/frequently-asked-questions/

Criterion being the manufacturer and marking a barrel as HBAR satisfies the HBAR requirement as written by MSP. There is really no ambiguity here.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I'd agree that stamping HBAR on a pencil or skinny barrel is pushing it, but the language of the MSP law is so vague, that even in that instance, they would not be able to file formal charges.

I forget the manufacturer, but in there FAQ they have literally outlined which of their barrels are deemed "HBAR" as clarified by MSP. They included every profile except for pencil or M4.

Criterion being the manufacturer and marking a barrel as HBAR satisfies the HBAR requirement as written by MSP. There is really no ambiguity here.

Black Hole may be the one you're thinking of. They sold me a poor barrel so I did not care to post their info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom