• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    The purchase of this rifle is nearly 20 years in the making. In the early 2000’s I first saw the movie “Winchester ‘73” with Jimmy Stewart. I immediately fell in love with the ‘73. All my days spent in gun shops I’ve never actually seen a ‘73 in person. I know that sounds unbelievable, but it’s true. I finally saw one in a friends collection a number of years ago and loved the rifle even more. Fast forward to the week before Independence Day. Browsing a local gun shop for any used, cheap 30-06 and there it was. At the end of the row of used rifles. A brand new Uberti Winchester 1873, with 24” octagon barrel, case hardened frame, straight stock, and chambered in 45 colt. The exact gun that I wanted for my entire adult life. It would have come home with me a week ago if it weren’t for our inept government delaying my background check for no reason. A right delayed is a right denied, morons. Oh well. Sorry for being all long winded. I’m just super excited to finally have this rifle! What made it even better was the look on my kids faces when I showed them and told them one day we will shoot it together.

Attachments

• A12E077F-14EE-4EB4-A884-6D7EC2EFABBE.jpg
      A12E077F-14EE-4EB4-A884-6D7EC2EFABBE.jpg
      164.2 KB · Views: 459
    • CC2D4C4C-63FF-4882-80AE-0D68E2540037.jpg
      CC2D4C4C-63FF-4882-80AE-0D68E2540037.jpg
      103.3 KB · Views: 445
    • 8703C9C2-7C92-43D9-B9DB-0DB816E11AF3.jpg
      8703C9C2-7C92-43D9-B9DB-0DB816E11AF3.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 446

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    The purchase of this rifle is nearly 20 years in the making. In the early 2000’s I first saw the movie “Winchester ‘73” with Jimmy Stewart. I immediately fell in love with the ‘73. All my days spent in gun shops I’ve never actually seen a ‘73 in person. I know that sounds unbelievable, but it’s true. I finally saw one in a friends collection a number of years ago and loved the rifle even more. Fast forward to the week before Independence Day. Browsing a local gun shop for any used, cheap 30-06 and there it was. At the end of the row of used rifles. A brand new Uberti Winchester 1873, with 24” octagon barrel, case hardened frame, straight stock, and chambered in 45 colt. The exact gun that I wanted for my entire adult life. It would have come home with me a week ago if it weren’t for our inept government delaying my background check for no reason. A right delayed is a right denied, morons. Oh well. Sorry for being all long winded. I’m just super excited to finally have this rifle! What made it even better was the look on my kids faces when I showed them and told them one day we will shoot it together.

Beautiful! I've been interested in Uberti guns for a long time. Their case hardened Henry is my dream rifle. That is...one of them. Like their top break pistols too.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    There was an episode on Outdoor channel where the host was at their factory. Wow. Great episode.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Beautiful gun, I got an original 1873 Winchester in .32 caliber for free. It came from under the porch of an old victorian house all caked in rust and was thrown out.
    My sister saved it from the trash and gave it to me, took 10 hours to clean it. Will never work again but still glad to have it. Now need one like yours that I can shoot.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Definitely a nice rifle. I like the straight stock, the caliber, everything.

If you want to come play Cowboy, third Saturday of the month (next week) at AAF&G outside Annapolis. We'll loan you the other six-shooter and the shotgun.

vipor5

Jul 9, 2020
    Maryland, Cheltenham
    Congratulations!
    Always nice to see someone locate a gem they have always desired. Nice to also see your desire was more than just another new AR. That is a beautiful rifle that is easy to reload for and should provide lots of fun on the range.

Njoy

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Thanks everyone! Yeah man. I don’t mean to sound corny but this rifle really is a dream come true. I don’t know how many times I watched Hickok45’s video on his Uberti ‘73.

Definitely a nice rifle. I like the straight stock, the caliber, everything.

If you want to come play Cowboy, third Saturday of the month (next week) at AAF&G outside Annapolis. We'll loan you the other six-shooter and the shotgun.

Hodgepodge, that would be amazing. I actually have twin New Vaqueros and a Stoager coach gun. I don’t know the first thing about cowboy shooting though. I might look into coming out there if y’al have the time to teach and tolerate a new comer!

Congratulations!
    Always nice to see someone locate a gem they have always desired. Nice to also see your desire was more than just another new AR. That is a beautiful rifle that is easy to reload for and should provide lots of fun on the range.

Njoy

Naturally, I appreciate all guns, but with all the craziness going on these days, its nice to take a step back and enjoy the simpler things.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Beautiful gun, I got an original 1873 Winchester in .32 caliber for free. It came from under the porch of an old victorian house all caked in rust and was thrown out.
    My sister saved it from the trash and gave it to me, took 10 hours to clean it. Will never work again but still glad to have it. Now need one like yours that I can shoot.

That is amazing! I would love to see photos of that if you dont mind sharing. You didnt happen to make a youtube video of it did you? I saw a gentleman restore one that he found in the same condition that you mentioned.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    That's a beaut right there. I've got that rifle in .357mag with a 20" barrel. It is truly one of my favorite things I've ever shot. And you should totally take up Hodgepodge's suggestion to do some cowboy action shooting. It's basically 3 guns with real guns (not plastic!!!). Ive shot a few matches with the gang at AAF&G, and they're real great people.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    That's a beaut right there. I've got that rifle in .357mag with a 20" barrel. It is truly one of my favorite things I've ever shot. And you should totally take up Hodgepodge's suggestion to do some cowboy action shooting. It's basically 3 guns with real guns (not plastic!!!). Ive shot a few matches with the gang at AAF&G, and they're real great people.

I can see myself collecting these Uberti rifles. A short barrel would be nice to add to the collection down the road. I REALLY want the 1886 in 45-70. And a '92 in 45 colt. And a '

I plan on going down next month. It looks so awesome. Ive never done any sort of match or competitive shooting, but I am totally willing to try CAS. I hope I dont suck at it too bad, lol.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    I can see myself collecting these Uberti rifles. A short barrel would be nice to add to the collection down the road. I REALLY want the 1886 in 45-70. And a '92 in 45 colt. And a '

I plan on going down next month. It looks so awesome. Ive never done any sort of match or competitive shooting, but I am totally willing to try CAS. I hope I dont suck at it too bad, lol.
    It's a hoot. And then you'll need a Sharps. And then a Hi-Wall. And then some cap and ball revolvers. And then a flintlock. It never really stops.

Also, don't worry about the idea of it being a "match." I've never felt any competition or anything from those guys. It's almost like it's just a good excuse to play cowboys and shoot stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom