• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Before the thread bashing begins, obviously mixing alcohol and firearms is bad. I would never drink alcohol and carry a firearm. My question is a legal one, as someone brought this up at my CCW class and no one seemed to know (including the instructor.) Call it curiosity.

"5-314. Carrying, wearing, or transporting handgun while under influence of alcohol or drugs
    (a) Prohibited. -- A person who holds a permit may not wear, carry, or transport a handgun
    while the person is under the influence of alcohol or drugs."

There it is. The questions raised were:

1. What is "under the influence of alcohol?" Above the legal driving limit? Having a BAC above 0.0? Touch of alcohol to lips = illegal, or much more?
    2. What restrictions do LEOs have on alcohol and firearms? It's irrelevant to myself or anyone I know, I've just always been curious.
    3. Are "drugs" in this case illegal drugs? Might it be construed to mean prescription drugs of certain types?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Before the thread bashing begins, obviously mixing alcohol and firearms is bad. I would never drink alcohol and carry a firearm. My question is a legal one, as someone brought this up at my CCW class and no one seemed to know (including the instructor.) Call it curiosity.

"5-314. Carrying, wearing, or transporting handgun while under influence of alcohol or drugs
    (a) Prohibited. -- A person who holds a permit may not wear, carry, or transport a handgun

1. What is "under the influence of alcohol?" Above the legal driving limit? Having a BAC above 0.0? Touch of alcohol to lips = illegal, or much more?
    2. What restrictions do LEOs have on alcohol and firearms? It's irrelevant to myself or anyone I know, I've just always been curious.
    3. Are "drugs" in this case illegal drugs? Might it be construed to mean prescription drugs of certain types?

1) Under the influence... means the state of effect of the alcohol becomes effective in altering one’s response in any situation. The judgement of the person’s actions and physical condition at the time will be used to determine the level of influence to which that person has become. The state DWI and DUI BAC codes will likely be the benchmark. But that is not a surety. So I would not advise testing it.

2) The restrictions vary by Departmental rules and policies. Total abstinence is not normally required. However, total responsibility demands the individual govern themselves extremely carefully.

3) ALL drugs... illegal or otherwise... which have the effect of rendering the person’s judgement in question... or causing the person to be unable to physically operate in their normal capacity. If the prescription instructions say no driving or operating equipment. Don’t take the drugs and carry. It’s just not going to help you in any situation... including Court.

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD

I took it to mean .01% or higher.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not defined . The only prosecution under that section was falling on his face drunk .

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I have an astonishing answer. It will blow everyone's mind.

Are you ready?

Don't drink or use drugs when you carry in public.
    The hell you say.

:thumbsup:

R-8482058-1462470840-4652.jpeg.jpg

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Nope Don't drink a beer or anything else that may have alcohol in it nor any type of drug that could impair. Don't go to dinner or a bar while CCW, MSP take a very dim view of that action even if you have been drinking ice tea. I asked the question once and was told by MSP stow the weapon in the truck? I had passed a background check, training (not their required class) and somehow the MSP feels it's better to leave it in a truck where it's now a target for thief, instead of being in control of a trained person? But that's Maryland. Chris

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    MSP allows its officers to go to bars and have a drink while carrying. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Keep in mind what RoadDawg says above, he is correct.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018

Are you ready?

What he said. After all the hassle to obtain one in Maryland, why would anyone want to risk loosing it over a beer? SMH.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Always consult what the laws says AND for each state as they may differ. Most legal issue can be found there as RD pointed out

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    The hell you say.

:thumbsup:

R-8482058-1462470840-4652.jpeg.jpg

Are you ready?

What he said. After all the hassle to obtain one in Maryland, why would anyone want to risk loosing it over a beer? SMH.

Yes, as I stated in my original post, I never would. It was brought up in my class and I thought it was an interesting question since it isn't so defined, and didn't know whether there had been any experience with it.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    This also caused a polite debate-nearly-argument in my W&C class. Because "under the influence" isn't defined, the instructor was leaning towards the same legal definition that's commonly used as the standard when operating a motor vehicle. Where/how to establish that standard is SEPARATE from whether or not it's a far better thing to be able to look that LEO in the eye and say, "No, I haven't had anything to drink in the last 12 hours" if some sort of S ever did HTF while carrying. But ... is having had half a glass of wine three hours ago really going to meet the (hand-wavingly-vague) legal definition? It certainly wouldn't, for most human bodies, put you anywhere near DUI. When in doubt, iced tea. As for the notion of cops having a "dim view" of you carrying anyplace where alcohol is served - I don't buy that. If you're wife is having a chardonnay with her kale salad, and you're NOT, there's nothing more to say. You could just as easily find yourself carrying at the bank having just left your home where that same wife had that same glass of wine. You've, personally, been drinking or you haven't.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Nope Don't drink a beer or anything else that may have alcohol in it nor any type of drug that could impair. Don't go to dinner or a bar while CCW, MSP take a very dim view of that action even if you have been drinking ice tea. I asked the question once and was told by MSP stow the weapon in the truck? I had passed a background check, training (not their required class) and somehow the MSP feels it's better to leave it in a truck where it's now a target for thief, instead of being in control of a trained person? But that's Maryland. Chris

And what law would you be charged with violating? I missed that section in 4-203. A statute or COMAR cite will suffice.

More BGOS.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    The issue IMHO is not only the statute per say, but civil liability, where the standard is not beyond a reasonable doubt, but a mere preponderance of evidence.

I don’t know a single attorney that would turn down a negligence/wrongful/reckless/etc. suit if you have consumed any amount of alcohol., especially if you are insured or have any assets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Any attourneys that would refuse to bring a negligence/ reckless/ wrongful action simply because a person had a 0.0 BAC ?

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014

Are you ready?

haha ya.. soo while i don't disagree.. one has to ask if taking dayquill to clear a head-cold makes it "better" or "worse" in the eyes of the law.

should you have a ccw and a head cold.. take some dayquill.. feeling better and have to use said CCW. you're potentially in trouble because you used some drugs.. though many would say they are better WITH dayquill (eyes, ears, nose, head, caugh.. etc etc).

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    So are we talking about carrying and being under the influence/ having a beer or being involved in a shooting and being under influence/had a beer. At which point is it an issue - get pulled over for dui and they find you carrying ? Or after a shooting can they take your blood or just start asking questions for the investigation. Either way your screwed if your messed up and have or use a gun. Very different scenarios but something to wonder about. Best option as stated previously -don’t drink or drug, more money for guns lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    But....Sir...he is my Designated Gun holder just like a driver, gave him / her my gun just like car keys or I got the gun, they got the bullets. No gun when filled with run..

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom