So how do you test your scary sharp after sharpening?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Battle injuries trump educational videos every time...

yup, if I only had a cell phone to take videos with growing up I could've had all those videos of alucard to post. Stepping on a nail, screwdriver through the hand, hand around the bike gear...it was quite the fertile tosh.0 video environment.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The belt sander will sharpen practically anything, machetes, mower blades, axes and hatchets, even swords. The polished convex bevel helps it fly through material. I have even gotten decent with serrated knives by using the edge of the belt to follow the teeth to repair them, then a low angle on the back to build a burr and strop/polish on both sides with the edge of the leather belt.

S7301966.jpg

S7301977.jpg

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I use Spyderco ceramic rods to keep a sharp edge and so far have not needed anything more drastic. I judge sharpness two ways. Sometimes I use a sheet of paper, hold it by a corner and just slide the blade down the edge of the sheet. If it's sharp it will catch and slice the paper cleanly.

The other way is just to very lightly run my thumb across the blade, like I'm trying to shave off my fingerprints. Again, if it's really sharp, you can feel it snagging the skin and catching on it. Just make sure you use a light touch and go slowly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom