• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Besides the obvious (short recoil operation, 10 round rotary magazine) does anyone know much about them? Field stripping, mag reloading, etc. Anyone have one or shoot one?

Jul 1, 2012
    I've had two (gone now) and rebuilt one of them from a sporterized config to stock.
    I have some manuals etc.
    It's pretty easy to field strip, and detail takedown is fairly straightforward too as long as the buffer tube cap isn't stuck.
    Magazine is a rotary job, you can load it with Springfield 1903 stripper clips or individually insert rounds (and top off the magazine when rounds are expended).

Bruce Canfield's book on the Johnson 1941 is an excellent resource.

Oh yeah, I did shoot one of mine, with both 7mm and 30-06 barrels.
    Just function testing, and we had a Garand for comparison.
    I liked the Johnson better overall, smoother recoil.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Unfortunately, our MDS resident Johnson expert, Lou45, passed away.

Lou always loved to post pictures of him just smiling and holding his Johnson.

Don’t know who got Lou’s personal collection but I’m sure they got or paid top dollar for his Johnson.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I've owned two. Being recoil operated you'll experience greater felt recoil compared to a gas gun like an M1. Accuracy is comparable to a Garand but the Garand shoulders better...the pot belly of the Johnson makes you have to hold somewhat differently. The biggest thing is you don't what to be to the right of someone shooting a Johnson rifle...it ejects the spent cartridges straight out at 90 degrees with authority!

Jul 1, 2012
    One other thing to consider is parts availability. The original military 30-06 barrels are very hard to come by, especially in decent shape. The original wood stocks are literally unobtanium. There are a couple of sources for good repro wood but not sure if the one guy is still making them. Original rear sights and elevator are also tough to find (and expensive). The extractor is another toughie but SARCO had repros at one point (between them and Numrich there are a lot of small parts still available). In other words you're better off sucking it up and paying the premium for a correct, all original rifle in good condition than trying to restore a sporterized rifle back to stock. Been there, done that.

Another thing to look out for is that the barrel collar matches the barrel.
    It's the ONLY set of numbers on a Johnson that should match; if not there may be headspacing issues.
    All the other parts will have random numbering.

Attachments

• M1941 Barrel.jpg
      M1941 Barrel.jpg
      63.3 KB · Views: 236
    • 12.JPG
      12.JPG
      28.8 KB · Views: 274

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    This is a good thread. I have been poking (ok probably don't want to say poking with Johnson) around for one as I thin out some of my low buck stuff and get some more iconic items.

Jul 1, 2012
    You just have to be careful if you want an original, as there are a number of restored guns out there being touted as original.
    Some really good, some not so good.

An original will be grey parkerized, magazine drum is park'd vice blued.
    Most of the original stocks have the "cheeks" behind the magazine glued on instead of being carved from one big piece. The butt stock should also be a bit lumpy instead of nice and smooth, they didn't do a lot of fine finish work :)

Attachments

• 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      89.9 KB · Views: 230
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 227

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I've owned two. Being recoil operated you'll experience greater felt recoil compared to a gas gun like an M1. Accuracy is comparable to a Garand but the Garand shoulders better...the pot belly of the Johnson makes you have to hold somewhat differently. The biggest thing is you don't what to be to the right of someone shooting a Johnson rifle...it ejects the spent cartridges straight out at 90 degrees with authority!

Recoil operation isn't a problem. I have a long recoil Remington Model 81 in 300 Savage and LOVE it. Also, got an Auto5 LOVE that one too. The A5 is just like my grandfathers A5. I like older and unusual firearms. A Johnson seems like just the thing to try. I have an M1 Garand and it shoots good. Though of the military rifles I've shot, nothing compared to the Swiss K31 for it's trigger and the near match quality ammunition the Swiss made for it. The BAR is a beast and the Thompson is just too heavy for what it is.
    Thanks for the info provided I look forward for more!

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I have one.
    I found the a Johnson expert on line and bought a DVD that had been copied from an old VHS tape. It was not the greatest quality but it showed how to do a basic field strip and then disassembly and reassembly of the rifle.
    Let me see if I have the contact information laying around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom