Patuxent river fishing and crabbing questions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Can anyone tell me how far up the pax river one can catch blue crabs?
    I am thinking of getting a fishing kayak and the closest place for me to access the pax river is at Patuxent wetland park in Lothian.
    Will I have to go further south for crabs?
    Also, what kind of fishing opportunities are there in that part of the river?
    Would pax wetland park be considered middle or upper Patuxent river?
    Thanks all.

Sleepy

Jan 19, 2013
    Can anyone tell me how far up the pax river one can catch blue crabs?
    I am thinking of getting a fishing kayak and the closest place for me to access the pax river is at Patuxent wetland park in Lothian.
    Will I have to go further south for crabs?
    Also, what kind of fishing opportunities are there in that part of the river?
    Would pax wetland park be considered middle or upper Patuxent river?
    Thanks all.

I'd stay south of Rt 231 on the Patuxent and south of 301 on the Potomac.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    There is a public boat ramp near Baden/Aquasco area near chalk point. I am sure you could drop a kayak in there and it gets you much lower on the river.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    I’ve kayak fished all through the area from that launch. Never had much luck for anything but catfish and suckerfish outside of the yellow/white perch runs. Never seen crabs there and wouldn’t think it was salty enough for them. At least not in large numbers. It’s still the middle pax but it’s almost at the freshwater demarcation line (route 214 bridge).

You can launch from the park next to the bridge on 231 in Benedict and crab or fish. You can also launch from Aqualand at the 301 (Nice) bridge going into VA and crab or fish. Jonas Green park across from the Naval Academy in Annapolis has a beach launch and decent crabbing at times. Rose Haven park on 261 in Rose Haven/North Beach will give you access to Herring Bay and the actual Bay where you can crab or fish. Sandy Point State Park at the bay bridge will also get you out in the Bay and kayak fishing out at the Eastern Rock Pile for the bay bridge is awesome!

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Rule of thumb, if you see barnacles on pilings it is salty enough for crabs. I live at the head of a creek off Pax river and about 200 yards from the "barnacle line" and catch beaucoup crabs from mid to late May till November depending on water temps.

Good luck.

Dave Taylor

May 29, 2012
    In udder' words, Joseph.....ain't many folks gonna tell ya' where to catch crabs on Pax river.... specially iffn' it means announcing it onna' public forum. :rolleyes:

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Well, I was not expecting coordinates to someones spot. I was just looking for some generall insight as to what to expect out of the Patuxent up by Waysons corner and Jug bay.

The responses have been very helpful. Thank you all. Good tip on the barnacles .

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    When I was growing up we caught big Male crabs just south of jug bay and north of hall creek all summer long.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    Plenty of blue and channel cats up and around Jug Bay, in addition to snakehead. It's the usual freshwater contingent of fishes. I'd stay south of Benedict's for crabbing. The DNR website has a map of public ramps to check out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom