• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    https://www.leupold.com/product-series/freedom-red-dot-sight-rds

Has anyone here purchased or handled one of these yet? I know they're fairly new but seem to be have been released without much fanfare aside from SHOT 2019, as I have yet to see any reviews. As a Leopold core member, even the BDC variant is much cheaper than Aimpoints ACO, but I want the superior optic.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Here is about the best review you will find. Discusses the pros and cons. The silver reflective coating is a major con. 24-hour battery life is something to consider, but it does have auto-off.

If it was my money, I would probably get a Vortex Spitfire AR, Vortex Strikefire II, or Aimpoint PRO. Spitfire AR has the advantage of being a true scope with etched reticle, meaning its astigmatism-friendly.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    probably nice, but pics of one with a 20mm lens would scare me off till I could handle one. Too many have a nice big tube, but tiny viewable area or put the LED mount in the way.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Boom Boom, thanks for sharing the review. Not sure why it didn't come up when I searched for it... Google must be limiting me... -Tinfoil Hat Brigade

The claimed battery life is VERY short. If it really is 24 hours, that's fine on a safe queen, and my current setup and usage, but take it hunting for a few days and it's done. I have about 2 hours of driving just to and from the rifle range... I think they have a kill flash for it. Not a huge con to me, as I'll probably get one for whichever optic I choose, but a definite downside for some.

I just asked about the battery life to their website and will post the results once I get them. I also got answers to previous questions I had: they confirmed its NV capable, cowitnesses with irons, and functions with magnifiers from the competition (as Leupold currently doesn't have their own).

probably nice, but pics of one with a 20mm lens would scare me off till I could handle one. Too many have a nice big tube, but tiny viewable area or put the LED mount in the way.

Isn't it a 30 or 34 mm tube?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    24 hours battery life means this thing is DOA. The market expects at least 10k now, if not 25k-50k. The Holosun RDSes and Aimpoint ACO/PRO just eats their entire market for that reason alone.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    24 hours battery life means this thing is DOA. The market expects at least 10k now, if not 25k-50k. The Holosun RDSes and Aimpoint ACO/PRO just eats their entire market for that reason alone.

Not sure where the 24 hours that TDS was using came from. Per the Leupold rep via email;

"The Freedom RDS has a run time of 72 continuous hours on high power, 800 hours on medium and 1200 hours on low."

Still not very competitive especially from Leupold.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The sub par battery life would make that a no go for me regardless of any other considerations. Top two affordable red dots I would consider for a work gun would be trijicon MRO and Aimpoint PRO with the QD mount. Heck I'd probably take an EOTech or Sig/Holosun/Primary Arms optic over the Leupold just because the battery life is so bad.

Independence

long member
    Jul 16, 2008
    Nottingham
    Not sure where the 24 hours that TDS was using came from. Per the Leupold rep via email;

"The Freedom RDS has a run time of 72 continuous hours on high power, 800 hours on medium and 1200 hours on low."

Still not very competitive especially from Leupold.

That's not competitive anymore in red dot land. 10 years ago, sure, it's ok.

The market is saturated with red dots, Leopold's offering brings nothing and takes a dump in your front lawn before leaving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom