• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I'm with jtb81100. Simpler is better. Have her start with a .22 and work up. If she's serious about using a handgun have her take formal instruction. If she's adamant about a .22 I recommend a nine or ten shot revolver, keep in mind the revolver will be heavier. Have you considered a .410 bore shotgun? Most important thing is she must be comfortable and confident with it.

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

well for Formal instructions ive already given her all she needs and will ever need so im not worried about that. and like prviously stated. my house if very small for her to draw a 410 shotgun would be a little to much in my opinion

Despite the fact that you're only a puddle jumper you still probably know more than half that post here. ;) While not the best cartridge a 22 LR is still a LOT better than nothing if that's the route you want to go. Both noise and flash is pretty scarey to the unsuspecting democrat breaking in. They don't make them anymore but a H&R 9 shot wouldn't be a bad choice if you insist on a .22. Get what you want and what she's comfortable with, the .38 advice isn't bad if she will take that. Lots of old Smiths and Rugers floating around out there.... the Security 6 and it's cousin the Service Six with fixed sights in 357 are good choices.

damn airdales...... lmao i was aviation for a little bit.... (ill explain in PMs if your curious haha)

my old man had a freaking service six 357 he was selling for 150 but i didnt have the cash at the time 10th day of the month. and he needed the cash quick and a guy at work offered him 200 so i couldnt tell him to save it. i wanted to buy it for myself lol

cb51

I have to agree that if you go with a .22, then go witha double action revolver. A Ruger LCR, used H&R 9 shot .22, or a S&W 317. My wife keeps a 317 by her bed, and since 1998 when she go it, it's been a very reliable gun. I don't like auto pistols for defense anyway. The simple manual of arms with a revolver is the best way to go.

Jim Cirillo once made a comment on the matter. He said when somebody is little more than arms length from you, and in the next few seconds one of you is going to die and one live, you don't have time for a 'tap, rack, bang drill.

Best solution is a nice clean police trade in of a .38 revolver with a 4 inch barrel. Easy shooting, very reliable, and good power.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    well for Formal instructions ive already given her all she needs and will ever need so im not worried about that. and like prviously stated. my house if very small for her to draw a 410 shotgun would be a little to much in my opinion

Re-read this and think for a minute. Did any instructor you've ever had say "I'm the only trainer you need?" I think ANY self defense instructor would say take as many different classes from as many people as you can. What works for you, or gets recruits competent with a firearm isn't going to work for everbody in every situation. Its pretty likely that she has had questions or concerns she wouldn't ask because she knows how good you are at your job and wouldn't want you to think she is asking a dumb question. I don't mean to sound harsh, but thinking you're all the training she needs only proves you don't know as much as you think you do and aren't as good as you think you are.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    You're a firearms instructor and are seriously considering a .22 for self-defense?
    That same thought crossed my mind…..

teaching people to shoot is different from knowing alot about guns.
    And a firearms instructor needs to know both.

i know a 22 will stop someone
    Really?

im really getting tired of this crap. i get it all the time.
    Perhaps there’s a reason it keeps happening?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but thinking you're all the training she needs only proves you don't know as much as you think you do and aren't as good as you think you are.
    QFT

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    damn airdales...... lmao i was aviation for a little bit.... (ill explain in PMs if your curious haha)

my old man had a freaking service six 357 he was selling for 150 but i didnt have the cash at the time 10th day of the month. and he needed the cash quick and a guy at work offered him 200 so i couldnt tell him to save it. i wanted to buy it for myself lol

Two kinds of people, Airedales and those that wished they were. ;) Did you squat to pee and that's why you're not? :)

You should have got it on your CC from a ATM at that price, if so we wouldn't be having this conversation because that would have been just fine in either 38 or 357. :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For minimal recoil handgun either a steel frame , medium frame .38/.357 loaded with std pressure .38s feels like a .22 . Likewise a .380acp in a fullsize gun , ie Berretta M84-85 . Or a full size .32acp if you find a used one , but not currenty mfg/ imported.

If you do end up with a .22 , don't obsess over it being a *look alike* for a real gun. Get somthing that is realiable and accurate .22lr on purpose. ( Insert debate of Ruger MkIII vs Buckmark vs 22A vs NEOS vs whatever..

I am outspoke fan of revolvers. Ideally an interchangable cylnder .22lr/ .22WMR . A .22WMR in a min 4, preferable 6in bbl is getting into some serious velocity.

* And I will give you benefit of the doubt for this thread that what you ment to say was " I have given th GF sufficent level of training that she is capable of safe basic handling , and limited HD without imeadate need of further training." *

And again , let's not jump to sterotypes. Mrs Biggfoot has been a shooter since 8yo , and out shot her Bro (who remains a *gun guy to date) . Likewise both Biggfoot jr and Biggfootette started when they were very young , and she is more into shooting/ hunting/ reloading than her brother.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    One thing I learned when I took my wife shopping for a hand gun for her use is this: Take her shopping so she can make her own choice.

I learned a lot in the process, and so did she. I hadn't realized what tiny hands she has. A number of common suggestions just didn't work for her, as her hands couldn't hold the grip well. (the Ruger Mark line is a prime example.) She was also thinking revolver, but all the models we could find felt very heavy to her.

We wound up to looking at .22 semi's, and she liked the Walther P22 best. It's small grip was comfortable in her hand. It's weight was manageable. She preferred it to the Mosquito and Smith&Wesson (M&P22?).

But the main point is this: Since she was involved in the choice, she has more confidence and investment in it. That makes her more likely to practice, and thus be more competent, and have a better chance of being effective, should the time come.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    People, don't bust on the OP for wanting his wife to start small. Maybe she'll decide later on that she wants a .38 or a 9mm. Point is, you gotta start somewhere.

The .22LRs the OP should consider have already been mentioned:
    Walther P22
    S&W M&P 22
    Ruger SR22

The Walther and Ruger are basically the same gun to me--they're about the same size and shape, good for small hands. The S&W is a bit bigger.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    I don't think we looked at the Ruger SR22's when we were shopping. I clarified my post to avoid confusing the Ruger Mark III's (which didn't fit my wife's hands) with the SR22's, which may have been fine for her.

rfdallas

Feb 18, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    If you want a .22 for HD that's fine. i have a Walther P22. my wife loves the gun. hit shoots 99% of the time. If someone is in your home and see's a gun pointed at them they are going to run. if you shoot them they will feel it and not be running towards you. it will scare anyone and they are not going to try to figure out what size the gun is before you shoot it. don't let some of these know it all's here try to convince in into getting something you don't want. if you want the mosquito go for it. it wont be blowing up on you. its a nice gun a i know a few people who have them and there fine shooters. if a gun was going to blow up they would not be making them. there are lemons in all types of guns. To many guys here think they know everything about guns. most haven't even served in the military yet they think they know everything about A/R's. to me it fun to read and laugh at some of the know it all's. i know a lot about guns but i will be the first to tell you i don't know it all. Buy what ever you want and you will be happy. if your not you can always sell it and buy another. All guns have a warranty and will be covered.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    wow so far ive got 2 shitty comments about opinions. its not hard to offer advice and not just beat someone down for something they are looking for. thanks for your advice and your help with nothing.

im not set on anything. i just cant find anything else out there. im not a gun guru thats why im asking for opinions and suggestions

The mosquito is NOT a reliable firearm. It's a range toy at best. If it's going to be hers, let her try a whole bunch of them and pick one out. .22lr is good for practice but I wouldn't use it for HD/SD

Sounds like you came looking for affirmation not information. Sorry Sig didn't work this one through very well. Also if she has no training she would be far better off with other options. With a little training and familiarization a revolver would probably be the best option.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Yup we have it all now. Pointing a gun is enough to defend yourself, a .22 is good enough to stop an attack, and you can't know an AR unless you've been in the military, and someone with no training experience is good enough to teach someone how to shoot. All basses covered here lock this one up.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Yup we have it all now. Pointing a gun is enough to defend yourself, a .22 is good enough to stop an attack, and you can't know an AR unless you've been in the military, and someone with no training experience is good enough to teach someone how to shoot. All basses covered here lock this one up.

Wondering where that came from, he stated he's a CG instructor. Assuming he's telling the truth he's well qualified. :confused:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Wondering where that came from, he stated he's a CG instructor. Assuming he's telling the truth he's well qualified. :confused:

It's bits from the entire thread...not just the OP's post.

I'd furthermore question anyone's "professional" training ability who seriously thinks a .22 and home defense belong in the same sentance.

A trainer maybe....but it sounds like someone slept though any ballistic training offered.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

NT, you just made my day. :lol:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    It's bits from the entire thread...not just the OP's post.

I'd furthermore question anyone's "profesional" training ability who seriously thinks a .22 and home defense belong in the same sentance.

A trainer maybe....but it sounds like someone slept though any ballistic training offered.

To each his own, it would be well down on my list of HD weapons but like I said in the thread.... better than nuffin. ;)

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    To each his own, it would be well down on my list of HD weapons but like I said in the thread.... better than nuffin. ;)

A good sized hammer is better then nothing. A butter knive is better then nothing. A frying pan is better then nothing.

I dont recommend any of these over a PROPER tool for the PROPER job.

Odds are it's going to sit in (hopefully a secured safe) and NEVER be used. But no one can really argue the ballistic aspect of the question.

If just pointing a gun is good enough...buy airsoft and take the tip off. You'll be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom