• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you think? ive looked at the mosquito and havent heard much bad about it. ive heard a few people online talk trash on it but they talk about the slide coming off and the slide cracking in half. i know enough about guns that sig isnt going to produce something that bad and its alot of the operator....

so im looking for a little .22 for when my fiancee comes to visit me she has something if im not home or something happens and she wouldnt be afraid to grab point and fire if the case calls for it...

other then the mosquito does anyone have any other recommendations?

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    looking more along the lines of something with the looks of the mosquito

So you want something that looks like a Mosquito and you don't care about the well-documented issues of using Zinc-alloys in handguns?

Get a Mosquito. Your mind is already made up.

wow so far ive got 2 shitty comments about opinions. its not hard to offer advice and not just beat someone down for something they are looking for. thanks for your advice and your help with nothing.

im not set on anything. i just cant find anything else out there. im not a gun guru thats why im asking for opinions and suggestions

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    wow so far ive got 2 shitty comments about opinions. its not hard to offer advice and not just beat someone down for something they are looking for. thanks for your advice and your help with nothing.

im not set on anything. i just cant find anything else out there. im not a gun guru thats why im asking for opinions and suggestions

Why not get her to shoot a full sized 9mm?

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Understandable wanting something that she can shoot without worrying about a lot of recoil, however I'd stay away from a semi-auto .22 all together for self defense. Just think of the problems that could happen:
    Bad primer, gf has to rack the slide to get a good round in the chamber
    Light round doesn't cycle the action, gf has to at best rack it and at worst clear a jam

If it HAS to be a .22 I'd look into a 9-10 shot DA revolver. If there is a problem with one round all she has to do is keep pulling the trigger instead of worrying about racking the slide or clearing a jam in a high stress situation.

In a bad situation, the simpler you keep things the more likely they are to work. If you don't think those (and other potential problems) are a big deal, time how long it takes her to clear a jam or rack the slide and how long it takes you to run from the door to where she would likely be standing. That is a very hard race to win.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It's a hell of a lot more than a Mosquito, but the FN 5.7 is a nicely powered round with low recoil. Could find something in .22 magnum, too. I know the .22 kills more people than any other round, but it doesn't do so quickly. She would need to have excellent shot placement.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    No one's trying to beat you down. The main issue with using .22 for home defense is it's a wimpy round for that purpose. Not that you couldn't kill someone with it, but most handguns are pretty ineffective at stopping a threat to begin with. Plenty of documented cases around of guys taking multiple hits from an issue round (9mm or larger) and still fighting back. You want her to have something bigger than a .22.

My best advice is to get a centerfire handgun and a .22 conversion kit. Ease her into shooting with the .22 and she'll eventually be able to handle 9mm or larger. I use my .22 kits all the time at the range anyway... big ammo savings.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    The other thing to think about, if this is going to be HER gun take her to a range and let her try a wide variety of rental guns. Both of you may end up surprised at what she ends up wanting to get.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    It's a hell of a lot more than a Mosquito, but the FN 5.7 is a nicely powered round with low recoil. Could find something in .22 magnum, too. I know the .22 kills more people than any other round, but it doesn't do so quickly. She would need to have excellent shot placement.

Normally I'm in agreement with you doc, but I would not use a 5.7 for hd. The penetration issue alone makes it a danger to the neighbors.

My personal choice is a good, heavy revolver with 38+p hollowpoints.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Normally I'm in agreement with you doc, but I would not use a 5.7 for hd. The penetration issue alone makes it a danger to the neighbors.

Good point. Didn't consider penetration.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Please don't just hand a gun to an untrained person and tell them, "Here you go."

Check out something like the NRA's Personal Protection in the Home class.

If she gets a little training, she should be fine with a 9mm or a .38/.357 revolver. If she has no training, a .22 is too much.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Understandable wanting something that she can shoot without worrying about a lot of recoil, however I'd stay away from a semi-auto .22 all together for self defense. Just think of the problems that could happen:
    Bad primer, gf has to rack the slide to get a good round in the chamber
    Light round doesn't cycle the action, gf has to at best rack it and at worst clear a jam

If it HAS to be a .22 I'd look into a 9-10 shot DA revolver. If there is a problem with one round all she has to do is keep pulling the trigger instead of worrying about racking the slide or clearing a jam in a high stress situation.

In a bad situation, the simpler you keep things the more likely they are to work. If you don't think those (and other potential problems) are a big deal, time how long it takes her to clear a jam or rack the slide and how long it takes you to run from the door to where she would likely be standing. That is a very hard race to win.
    Great advice
    The other thing to think about, if this is going to be HER gun take her to a range and let her try a wide variety of rental guns. Both of you may end up surprised at what she ends up wanting to get.
    More great advice

silly. If anything, the 5.7x28 would penetrate LESS than the big/slow/heavy .38+p. Regardless, anything that puts meaningful holes in people will penetrate LOTS of drywall. it's better to use a cartridge that gives you the best possibility of stopping a threat without having to keep pressing the trigger. Interestingly enough, if you can deal with the noise issue, a proper 5.56 bullet weight and construction will do a good deal of damage, while fragmenting and losing energy through drywall faster than most handgun projectiles that stay intact and just keep trucking.

For the OP:
    .22lr for HD is going to punch a hole roughly 7inches into someone. It's similar to stabbing them with a pencil. You've got to put those tiny and shallow holes somewhere pretty important to physiologically stop someone. You increase your odds of causing enough damage to stop someone quickly with 9mm on up.

Have a look at a full-sized striker-fired 9mm, like a m&p or glock 17(g19 is a good choice too). They're simple to use, with all safeties being passive safeties. they're also reliable and have pretty light recoil from being able to get such a high grip on them. If she can't manage them, have her train until she can. Would you have her punch a punching bag once and assume she knows how to defend herself from then on, or have her train in self-defense until she becomes proficient? guns are the same. You want her to react, not think about how to act, in a stress situation. That means building in muscle memory with lots of training.

You may also want to consider a short, 20ga pump-action shotgun. They'll be cheaper than a handgun(around $300-350 typically), have MUCH more "stopping power" with the correct shot size, and are easier to aim precisely under stress because they're shoulder-mounted and have a long sight-radius.

It is very important she is the one that finds what works for her and you don't force something you think will work on her. You could get her any gun on the planet, if she doesn't have the training and mindset to use and potentially end someone's life with it...it really doesn't matter.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    May I suggest the Walther PK380. It has similar lines and has a little more punch for home defense with an 8-round magazine.

mosquito-lg.jpg
    wap40001.jpg

If you want to stick with a rimfire, go with a PMR-30. It doesn't look much like the Sig, but with 30 rounds of 22 mag, it would be like unleashing a hornets nest on a would be attacker.
    PMR30_right_8288.jpg

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    I don't condone a .22 for hd, but take a look @ the ruger sr22. It is da/sa, so you would at least have the ability to double strike, and its not picky with ammo like the mosquito... Let her try a .22 and let her shoot a 9 mm, you maybe surprised at how well she handles the recoil. My wife likes shooting .22's, but she does great w/ 9mm.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    The mosquito is NOT a reliable firearm. It's a range toy at best. If it's going to be hers, let her try a whole bunch of them and pick one out. .22lr is good for practice but I wouldn't use it for HD/SD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom