• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Open Carry vs Concealed Carry

• Total voters

Swoop

Say hello to my little...
    Mar 25, 2012
    MD
    I thought this would be an interesting converstation based on everyone's personal preferences. Open carry or concealed carry and explain why you prefer to carry in that manner.

I prefer concealed cause I can maintain the just another guy spending time with the family and not draw attention. Maintaining the OSH@# factor if I need to use it is a bonus. I honestly don’t want my handgun to be the first thing multiple assailants go for if I am bum rushed.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    If given the choice, it would depend on the situation.

It's said that the best gun fight is the one that's avoided. I certain areas, I would want to "advertise" that I was armed, because it would act as a deterrent - causing the BG to move on and choose another victim, BEFORE confronting me.

OTOH, if I were out shopping, having dinner, etc - in an assumed "safe place" - I would rather carry concealed, to avoid drawing unnecessary attention to myself.

Another thing to consider is weather. On a very hot day, I would like to at least have the option to OC, just for comfort sake.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I prefer concealed carry around people, I feel I have upper hand as they don't know what I have or don't have but like open carry out in the country. Chris

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Concealed. It's nobody's business and also for the retention factor. If anyone is gonna grab my pistol first, it's gonna be me.

If given the choice, it would depend on the situation.

It's said that the best gun fight is the one that's avoided. I certain areas, I would want to "advertise" that I was armed, because it would act as a deterrent - causing the BG to move on and choose another victim, BEFORE confronting me.

OTOH, if I were out shopping, having dinner, etc - in an assumed "safe place" - I would rather carry concealed, to avoid drawing unnecessary attention to myself.

Another thing to consider is weather. On a very hot day, I would like to at least have the option to OC, just for comfort sake.

+1. My practice sometimes takes me into neighborhoods where it might be a good thing to advertise. But back at the office, right across from the courthouses and surrounded by poorly-trained LEs (I don't mean all of them, just certain agencies) I'd rather not. (I daily encounter everyone from DEA to Div. Pretrial Services. I'll leave it to you who I'm talking about.) OTOH, once the BGs got accustomed to the notion that just about anyone might be carrying, that might be enough of a deterent.

Not_Disapproved

Known Defiler
    Jul 3, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    There is a lot to be said for the element of uncertainty associated with concealed carry. For example, if open carry was a requirement in dating, I'd be a very lonely man.

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    I don't understand the idea of open carry if you're not military or some type of law enforcement. In the military, presenting a weapon is a statement of "do not approach further" or a demonstration of potential force. In my day to day life, I really don't feel the need for that. My weapon is there if, and only if, a situation of equal or greater firepower presents itself, or if life/limb is at stake. Visibly displaying a firearm is a statement that I really don't feel the need to make.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I don't understand the idea of open carry if you're not military or some type of law enforcement. In the military, presenting a weapon is a statement of "do not approach further" or a demonstration of potential force. In my day to day life, I really don't feel the need for that. My weapon is there if, and only if, a situation of equal or greater firepower presents itself, or if life/limb is at stake. Visibly displaying a firearm is a statement that I really don't feel the need to make.

Try sitting in a parking lot or 7 Eleven in front of an ATM with a considerable amount of cash still in it, (won't say how much, but you can Google it), that you're about to swing the door open on.

I would rather someone in the vicinity running the "what if..." scenarios through their head, see the 1911 on my hip and say "Screw that!".
    :)

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I thought this would be an interesting converstation based on everyone's personal preferences. Open carry or concealed carry and explain why you prefer to carry in that manner.

I prefer concealed cause I can maintain the just another guy spending time with the family and not draw attention. Maintaining the OSH@# factor if I need to use it is a bonus. I honestly don’t want my handgun to be the first thing multiple assailants go for if I am bum rushed.

It might be the reason someone would attack you. Concealed for me!

If Judge Legg hands down a ruling for ANY carry I would join an Open Carry gathering, but alone I don't want to be a target.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I want the option, although I think I would rarely exercise it.

I definately want to be able to carry OWB with just a light jacket, and be able to take the jacket off when I get in my car. Or re-tuck in my shirt, while wearing my Kholster tuckable IWB. Or reach for the yogurt on the top shelf, way in back at the grocery store. I don't want to get proned out in the public library, when I bend to check a book on a low shelf, and the butt of my M&Pc prints, causing a soccer mom to call in a frantic MWAG.

Open Carriers in Pennsylvania have forced the retraining of LEOs and 911 dispatchers in how to handle those Man With A Gun (MWAG) calls. In the past, you could expect to get proned out, handcuffed, and spend an hour in the back of a police car for an accidental exposure. That's much less likely to happen in PA and Virginia nowadays, but I believe in Texas you can still be arrested for printing (hope I'm wrong).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom