• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    The whole lock thing is silly. We encourage people to bring their own lock, but the law is the law and they have to have one. We would be glad to be a repository for used locks. People could come get them or we could send them, or maybe someone has another idea.

We are all depositories. As Marylanders we have likely purchased some and even more likely they are still in the package. Great appreciation for you stepping up though. We can all do something!

Well except me, I gave out my last lock......

FreeState

Ultimate Member
    Oct 31, 2010
    White Marsh
    We are all depositories. As Marylanders we have likely purchased some and even more likely they are still in the package. Great appreciation for you stepping up though. We can all do something!

Well except me, I gave out my last lock......

The law requires an internal lock like an Omega lock. It is certainly true that there must be thousands of internal locks in the Baltimore area stuck in drawers, gun cases, cabinets, land fills, etc.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    The S&W M&P9P I bought was better priced than other places and the industry partner that sold it to me required a lock to be purchased even if I could have provided one. I guess from now on it will depend on the OTD price as to where I buy from. Of course service will be a factor as well and we have a many IPs here that provide a great service and many of us here know who they are by now. If you don't you only need to read or ask.

The lock thing realy is silly and just a way to increase tax dollars to the state. You don't have to buy the lock on a used gun if I'm not mistaken.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    The S&W M&P9P I bought was better priced than other places and the industry partner that sold it to me required a lock to be purchased even if I could have provided one. I guess from now on it will depend on the OTD price as to where I buy from. Of course service will be a factor as well and we have a many IPs here that provide a great service and many of us here know who they are by now. If you don't you only need to read or ask.

The lock thing realy is silly and just a way to increase tax dollars to the state. You don't have to buy the lock on a used gun if I'm not mistaken.

I've been required to have an internal lock with all my purchases and transfers and I only buy used pistols. I won't use an FFL that forces me to buy an omega lock either. The cable locks are no good in MD at least this is what I was told

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009
    :thumbsup:
    Honestly, I don't feel like getting into an argument with someone because I mentioned their favorite gun shop and all they're doing is "covering their asses" so it's ok. I personally know where I will and won't shop anymore and that's about the best I can do. If you're not sure about the shop you're doing the transfer at, call and ask if it's ok to supply your own MD-approved lock. :thumbsup:

Mark at 2A has no problem with you bringing your own lock. I will not buy from a dealer that requires me to purchase a lock from them.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I've been required to have an internal lock with all my purchases and transfers and I only buy used pistols. I won't use an FFL that forces me to buy an omega lock either. The cable locks are no good in MD at least this is what I was told

Thats strange because when you do a transfer at the police Barracks they donot require an internal lock. I'm pretty sure it's only on new.
    Where are the dealers here to educate us?

Johnnyeastside

Jun 8, 2009
    Abingdon
    When I bought my first gun from a PA resident, I got it transferred at BelAir G&P. I had to buy a lock. Every other used gun I bought and transferred at MSP and no lock was needed. I just sold a gun and MSP transfer is pending, no lock.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Bought a used gun at Horst & McCann, bargained them down $50.00 on the price and they still threw in a free lock. YMMV

Hunh. My wife and I bought two at the same time, (brand new, came to over a grand) and they still insisted we buy two locks from them @ $20 a piece.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    "Locks? We don't need no stinkin' locks...we already have better locks!" ...Well, at least most of the folks on this forum prob'ly do.

Still there are the nitwits, dipshits and tourons who often shouldn't even own or operate a motor vehicle (much less a firearm). We all pay for that. Kinda like grading on a curve, right? The lunacy in that concept is it never truly elevates the bottom, but it does degrade the top. Absurd! :sad20: I'm off my soap box now.:innocent0

Three pics below: I use the BIG locks, but the little locks are karma for any MDS member who may need one in the pile. Either come and get it or pay the postage.

Attachments

• Liberty Safe 01.JPG
      Liberty Safe 01.JPG
      26.9 KB · Views: 1,300
    • Stack On Safe 01.JPG
      Stack On Safe 01.JPG
      55 KB · Views: 1,318
    • Locks DSC05692.jpg
      Locks DSC05692.jpg
      49.4 KB · Views: 1,320

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    ^ let's share and pass on or return.

The law is the law. We need not fuel the antigun fire ourselves. We need only have an approved lock... Not a lock purchased from the transferring dealer.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Sounds like a great idea.:thumbsup:

Where does the dealers responsibility end? Front door? Parking lot? If so, borrow the lock until you get to your car, remove it and return it immediately.

Maybe a lock "rental deposit" program from the dealers is in order?

Pay full price for the lock, then return it within 2 weeks for a full refund of deposit once the gun is home. That way, if you want to keep it, it's yours and everyone is square. If you want to return it, you get your money back.

It's a win-win. Your choice. You keep the lock at full cost or the dealer benefits from a 2nd visit to return the lock and possibly get another sale of something forgotten during the original sale.

somoss

Silver Spring
    Feb 18, 2006
    357 gp100 4 inch barrel

I am picking up a new one in about a week and need an internal barrel (omega) type one. Anyone have one I can borrow/keep?

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Mark at 2A has no problem with you bringing your own lock. I will not buy from a dealer that requires me to purchase a lock from them.

+1. The law does not state that you must purchase a lock, merely that the gun must have one when it leaves the shop.

A dealer who requires you to purchase one is simply leveraging the law to increase their profit margin. I could understand that they want documentation that the gun left the store with a lock, but it's easy enough to have a $25 digital camera and snap a photo of every gun that leaves the shop. If I was a dealer, I'd do that anyway (take time-stamped photos when they came in and when they left).

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    So you want to take a picture of everyone that buys a gun at your store?
    I'd rather pay for the lock.

the law requires neither so why even offer a concession?

The ignorance of the law that makes you Want to pay for the lock is damaging.... You are wasting money with no benefit and perhaps worse even supporting the gun grabbing efforts. The law requires no purchase only the possession.... And does it even say the appropriate caliber?

don't give in so easily!

powderhunter

May 29, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    A dealer who requires you to purchase one is simply leveraging the law to increase their profit margin.

One dealer I bought a used handgun earlier this year not only made me buy the cable lock ($10) but also pushed me to buy a plastic handgun case($10). I guess, I won't be going there anymore!

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    OmegaLock seems to have ushered in the sale of handguns. Interesting is that it implies at the end of this press release the manufacturer would be responsible for providing the fired shell casing and lock.

http://www.omegagunlock.com/press.html

Accurate Guns links to the law. Their site also states, their interpretation which parallels ours for the most part, that a lock can be sold or provided.

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/29/29.03.01.32.htm

The law reads:

.32 Handguns and Safety Devices.

A. The provisions of this regulation do not apply to:

(1) Purchases, sales, and transport to or by a dealer or manufacturer that provides or services a handgun for:

(a) Personnel of the United States government or any agency or department of the United States government,

(b) Members of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard,

(c) Law enforcement personnel of the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State while those personnel are acting within the scope of their official business, and

(d) Organizations that are required by federal law or regulations governing their specific business or activity to maintain handguns and applicable ammunition;

(2) Any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperative;

(3) Sales or transfers by any dealer or manufacturer covered under §A(1) of this regulation;

(4) Sales or transfers by a dealer or manufacturer to a lawful customer outside the State; or

(5) Antique firearms.

B. Except as provided under Public Safety Article, §5-132(c)(1), Annotated Code of Maryland, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State any handgun manufactured on or before December 31, 2002, unless the handgun is sold, offered for sale, rented, or transferred with an external safety lock.

C. Except as provided under Public Safety Article, §5-131(b), Annotated Code of Maryland, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State any handgun manufactured on or after January 1, 2003, unless the handgun is sold, offered for sale, rented, or transferred with an approved integrated mechanical safety device.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    So you want to take a picture of everyone that buys a gun at your store? I'd rather pay for the lock.

:lol: Have you ever bought a regulated firearm in Maryland? The dealer makes a photocopy of your driver's license for the ATF paperwork, they have your photo already haha. Not to mention your address, SS#, and possibly your bank account or CC# if you didn't pay cash. And I don't think I've ever been in a gunshop that didn't have video surveillance. Regardless, you completely misunderstood my comment..

..it's easy enough to have a $25 digital camera and snap a photo of every gun that leaves the shop..

I simply meant to take a photo of each item in stock (as part of a standard inventory process) and then take a photo of the gun with lock installed at time of sale, perhaps with the receipt in frame. The timestamp on the photo and the sales ticket would be sufficient to prove it was locked at the time of sale, thus in compliance with the law.

That actually protects the owner more, should he ever be audited, he has irrefutable visual records of each SN in, each SN out, and that locks were installed on every firearm sold.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom