• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheGibster

Aug 17, 2010
    Dorchester County
    First bought: S/W 629 & Colt Python (doubled up right away....thank U Maryland for that concession).

First Fired: Colt Python (a little wary of the 629 for the first 10 minutes).

Lykaios

The Plastic Fantastic
    Mar 4, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    First fired : S&W 9mm - damn that was so long ago
    First owned and used : Glock 23....that kinda reminds me - I need to just break down and get that membership at FreeState :D

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    My many handgun firsts is the Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. I just got it over the weekend and took it straight to the range to start getting my money's worth. I'd like to say I have some natural talent for shooting, but the big bright sights gave me an edge over my friend who rented a Glock 17 that day.

The Glock was what I was planning on getting for it's simplicity and reliability, but the M&P stacks up very well and getting the range and carry kit was a good bonus. I'm aiming on shooting at least once a month.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Tried searching for this one and couldn't find anything, but my apologies in advance if it's a duplicate of something I missed.

Anyways, I was curious to ask some of the members here what was the first handgun you purchased or received that you shot on a consistent basis and what did you like/dislike about it?

I figure this might be a good resource for those first handgun purchasers so they can see some of the possible pros and cons to something they might be considering or maybe even get an idea for something they never thought of.

As far as my personal experience it is very limited with handguns. I'm a smaller guy and I would opt for a shotgun to defend my home over a handgun. That being said I prefer a handgun that is solid with a little weight to it but in a low recoil plinking caliber with cheaper ammo. I haven't fired many handguns but I certainly like my .32ACP Beretta M1935 quite a bit, except for the fact that the mag release is no fun for extended target shooting.

Simply...

First I'd shot was my Grandfather's .44mag (no clue the make/model) when I was (guessing) 16.

I decided to get back into shooting at 45, had never had handguns, and older son (Navy) had me check out the M&P line.

Decided on the .40 (hush, Chad!!!), and can't be happier with it.

It's a nail driver like BUTTAH..... plus, apx 2000 rounds and a total of 1 misfeed.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    First fired: My cousins' .45 ACP. No idea which make or model.

First owned: A S&W Model 19 .357 Magnum I inherited from my grandfather. A 40 year old gun and it still shoots like a dream.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Many years ago I was living in NY and applied for and was approved for a pistol permit. The only catch was that I had 30 days to buy a gun and start the final stage of the permit process. Just when I got the approval letter my car needed some major work and that took almost all of my spare $$. I was a poor college kid at the time. I ended up buying a cheap Iver Johnson .22 lr revolver that looked somewhat like a mini colt SAA, but not as refined. I think I paid less than $100 in 1980. It was good enough to allow me to get the permit finalized.

I do not know if the MD handgun board would have approved that gun, if it was submitted to them.

When I moved to MD I didn't want to bring it with me, it was that bad of a gun. No gun shop would take it, so I ended up taking it to the Buffalo PD and surrendering it to them.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    My first handgun was a secondhand 5-shot 2" Charter Arms revolver in .38 Special with an "action-job". Bought it off a cop buddy about 30 years ago and traded it away 29 years ago. Piece of junk - the Bianchi holster that it came with had more pratical value than the gun. First "real" handgun was a 6" S&W Model 28 that I still have - Great Handgun!

Fionnros

Fight Crime, Shoot Back!
    Apr 15, 2011
    Harford County
    Mine is a .22 Browing Buckshot. As my first gun, it's awesome. It weighs about 2 lbs, so it doesn't wear you out as you get use to shooting. It has a long berrel, so you hardly feel it when you shoot. The sites were easy to adjust and the aim stays pretty accurate. I don't use any special cleaning agents, just a bore cleaner and some light oil. It's jammed once, and that was because of the bullet not the gun.

The only thing I don't like about it. Targets is one of the few things I can kill with it, but is a whole lot of fun to shoot it.;)

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    First handgun fired: Glock 19 ...not a big fan of the Glocks. I have since shot the 17, 21, 22 and 23. Just not my cup of tea. I do recommend the 17 for new people to try first. Can't argue with the track record.

First handgun purchased: SA XDm40. Love my XDm! She is wearing a 357sig barrel right now and is a blast to shoot! (pun intended :D)

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    The first pistol I shot was a Harrington & Richardson .22 (short) vest pocket derringer my grandmother gave me.
    The first pistol I purchased is my Glock 20 :gun3:
    The next pistol will most likely be a Glock 29.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    First fired: Ruger Mark I

First purchased: Colt Official Police

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    First shot a S&W 686+ 6" during my Intro to firearms course. Shot 38's out of it.
    Wanted one, but thought smaller might come in handy, so my first bought was a Ruger SP101. I like shooting low-power handloaded .357's out it. Full-power .357's are a real wake up with that little gun. Dislike: Have to load it up again after only 5-shots :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom