• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Tried searching for this one and couldn't find anything, but my apologies in advance if it's a duplicate of something I missed.

Anyways, I was curious to ask some of the members here what was the first handgun you purchased or received that you shot on a consistent basis and what did you like/dislike about it?

I figure this might be a good resource for those first handgun purchasers so they can see some of the possible pros and cons to something they might be considering or maybe even get an idea for something they never thought of.

As far as my personal experience it is very limited with handguns. I'm a smaller guy and I would opt for a shotgun to defend my home over a handgun. That being said I prefer a handgun that is solid with a little weight to it but in a low recoil plinking caliber with cheaper ammo. I haven't fired many handguns but I certainly like my .32ACP Beretta M1935 quite a bit, except for the fact that the mag release is no fun for extended target shooting.

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    I'll bite. My first handgun purchase was a Beretta 92 FS police trade in. I love it. Only problem with it are the usual gripes about the 92 series, namely that's it's too big and too heavy for being a 9mm. However, that size and weight make it a great gun to shoot at the range, as it's very soft shooting. It has been utterly reliable, and I have no qualms trusting my life to it.

Come to think of it, the 92 FS might have been the first handgun I ever shot. My dad and I rented one when I was a teenager at MSAR. It was either that or my Aunt's Ruger Standard model .22 pistol. I can't remember off hand which was first.

Ieatpeople

Dec 15, 2009
    my first handgun was a walther p22 target. i love this gun. very light, very accurate, very cheap to shoot. i still shoot it as much as possible.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    1ST handgun shot - USMC Issue M9.
    1st Owned - MilSurp M9 (Navy range behind Camp Allen, they shot em for x # rounds and sold em)
    1st Owned AND used often - Glock 17 Gen 4. I liked it, good gun, but I liked my S&W M&P better, and traded the G17 for a Beretta 92F for the wife :D

MessedUpMike

Jan 29, 2011
    Cz-75B. It was as close to a Browning HiPower that I could afford at the time. Soild gun, built like a tank. The only feed problems I've ever had with it were because of cheap mags.
    Downside, piss poor after market support.

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    My first handgun was a HK USP .40.

I shot .22lr hand guns when I was younger but nothing larger. So when I got out of the Navy, my cousin introduced me to some of his friends and they were going to the range one day. I shot the one guy's USP 9 and liked it. It just happened that the range had a used USP .40 for sale. So I picked it up! Still have it today and regularly use it for the HD gun (have the HK UTL for it).

as for the likes and dislikes...
    It is reliable and accurate. I don't like the grip much, but then again I think its the feel of the polymer. I shot my cousin's FNH .40 and the grip feels the same to me. Just me I guess.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    my first hand gun I bought on my own was a norinco 1911. I still have it and just shot it the other night at freestate.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My first handgun was the first gun I purchased myself, a Ruger Blackhawk in 32-20/.32 Magnum. Wish I still had the gun, since I still have the ammo/reloading dies for it. I think everyone should have at least one single-action revolver.

Jim

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The first pistol I shot on a consistent basis was a Ruger Mark II… 20 years later I still shoot one. For just starting out or plinking it is practically the perfect pistol. Low recoil, cheap ammo, good accuracy, good trigger, infinitely customizable,

The only possible complaint is it takes some practice (one evening) to master assembly and disassembly.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    My first handgun was the first gun I purchased myself, a Ruger Blackhawk in 32-20/.32 Magnum. Wish I still had the gun, since I still have the ammo/reloading dies for it. I think everyone should have at least one single-action revolver.

Jim

Where's the like button? Cool gun.

My first handgun was a S&W model 10. This was in the late '70's.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    My first hand gun was purchased on the day after I turned 21 which would have been 7 years ago. It was a blued Ruger Single Six with a 5" barrel, brand new from the factory with the 22lr and 22 mag cylinders.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Glock 17 was the first handgun I ever bought. I like the fact that it's a Glock; it's low maintenance, lightweight, and reliable. The grip angle and the trigger takes a little bit of time to get used to, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom