• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    It's fully gay.
    9mm is more than adequate with most duty ammo to solve most all of your problems and is cheaper to practice with.
    I had a GLOCK 27 on the idea I wanted something moving faster than .45 and with more mass than a 9mm in a 3 inch barrel to carry.
    When I came back to earth I realized I can shoot much faster and more accurately with the 9mm in that small of a package.
    I got rid of the 27 and got a 26 and the balance was returned to my universe.

Remember "the 9mm might expand but the .45 will never shrink and the .40 is just gay".

stonet21

Mar 4, 2009
    I've noticed numerous people dissing 40 cal ammo. So?? What's wrong with it, already? I will go on record as saying that .40 cal is the perfect semi-automatic carry round. It has more knockdown power than a wimpy 9mm round and is not as destructive and messy as a .45 round.

I was wondering the same thing. However, when you ask this question, it doesn't seem to get a good answer. Other than it being gay, as some people state, is there any technical reasons why it isn't a good caliber?

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    For competition, it's a good round. Enough oomf to meet the power factor for "Major", but with a higher capacity than .45 (a 140mm mag for "Limited" holds 20 rounds of 40S&W) and less pressure/danger of KB than 9x23.

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    guys who shoot 9mm are jealous because of their tiny peashooters. guys who shoot the 45 are jealous because they have to overcompensate for other little things.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    The new York PD is has quite a few high profile incidents in which they had to shoot criminals with dozens of roundss to stop the threats. Don't they carry 9mm's also don't European countries carry the 9mm? My motto is carry the biggest caliber you can handle. Mabye it's me, but shooting 9mm is boring, 22's can be effective too, but I'm not using it as a carry round. This 9 vs 40 debate is played out, we all should carry 45's and act like real Americans. If you could carry and shoot 40 and 9mm equally well at self defense distance what should you pick? All Europeans need not answer. (flame suit on). How is the 40 a gay round when folks are admitting they can't handle the snap to be effective within 25 feet? Think about who sounds gay?

drewhall

May 29, 2009
    Maryland
    Yeah the snap doesn't bother me as much as everyone talked it up to be. That's from a compact as well. I can follow up within "mugging distance" just fine with it. I chose it because it IS a larger hole than 9mm and has more energy. I don't know, it's a compromise between power and capacity. I figure it's just the different thing and you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Old men are the same way, just don't want to be bothered with something new. :wave: :deadhorse:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• 10mm 1.jpg
      10mm 1.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 447

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    I got my Px4 Storm in .40. That was based on the (mistaken?) notions that
    a) if law enforcement uses it, it must be good at its intended purpose - that is, good stopping power
    and
    b) if MD state troopers adopted it, it must be reliable

At first, the recoil was definitely different than the 9s and 45s i've shot. it may have even been a little more than i bargained for, but i've gotten used to it and i can say that in the situations that call for a pistol, I am reasonably sure I can hit what I'm aiming at and hit it fast enough to end a threat. I don't even have to turn it sideways.

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    I don't have one ,but I have shot my buddies older 226 in 40 and i couldn't feel any recoil at all.I would by one in a Sig 229. I have a Ruger 357 call it old but its very reliable. I love wheel guns better.A little off post but you get the point.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    I have a glock in 40...love it! I got one in 9mm cause tis cheaper to shoot!

but if it takes twice the number of rounds to do the job, is it really cheaper? :)

(the preceeding was an abysmal attempt at humor)

edit:

Also, so it was cheaper to buy an entirely new gun than the cost difference between 9mm and .40 ammo? Where do you buy your ammo?!?!?!?! :)

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I personally am not that big of a fan of the 40, but I wouldn't say thee is anything wrong with it.

Pretty much all handgun calibers are piss poor performers in regards to, I hate to use the phrase, stopping power.

There are exceptions to that such as a true 10mm load and 44mag. But in practical carry guns you don't find them all that much.

I say pick what works for you and learn to shoot it. Remember, only hits count.

Unit3960

Feb 11, 2011
    Harford Co. MD
    SCARCQB you are funny guy lmao. Alright I have a 9, and as called before a "Forty". All I can say is the "Forty' did it's job when I needed it. Would I go out and get another one...No. I'd have to go for a .45. I gave the 9mil to the wife just in case; but hell she's got access to all my toys just in case. YESSIIIRRR!!! I may not be home, so she has to step up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom