• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    The way I understand it, if you (NOT YOU, but anybody) get DIS-approved you probably lied on your application and are subject to a felony charge. The money spent on the gun is the least of your worries.
    Unless the MSP made a mistake and you can clear it up, you are in for trouble.

Yeah I didnt think of it like that. I guess that makes sense. I also wasnt really sure of what would disqualify you or not. I imagine when involves firearms a fly farting on your record could give you the shaft.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Had that happen three years ago, bad boy getting gun, MSP lost all the paperwork sent to them by me, about 67 applications if I remember correctly. I think MSP went big time OOOOOOPPPSS when they found out they could not find all that paperwork when I said I had all the signed green cards that they received all of it on a given date:D Bad boy gotta gun and wanted me to retrieve it, yea right. Bad boy turned it in to MSP barracks.

I think my paperwork was in that batch:sad20: Took a little longer than usual, but everything came through in the end. It was about this time of year to, right after the PG county gun show.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I dont get this whole its 8 days because sunday doesnt count thing, I understand the transfer cant happen on a sunday but if I buy on any other day I expect the gun that day next week (7 days later) and thats how Ive gotten it for the every regulated Ive bought in MD with the exception of one because I had bought my 2 in 60 days. I keep reading this 8 days thing and hearing people talk about beeing held up for weeks and weeks and my fear is that one day it will be the norm and I will go in to buy a gun and a month later I will be hearing that I cant get my handgun for some rediculous reason and someone just went a little overboard to CYA. Have my transfers just gone incredibly smooth every time and Ive been really lucky? or have all the dealers I bought from broken the law several times? I think im going on like 6 regulateds in MD now and Ive always thought it was a 7 day wait from when paperwork is submitted and one gun a month or 2 in 60 days and if the 7th day falls on a Sunday or a holiday it moves to the following day? Where am I wrong here?

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I dont get this whole its 8 days because sunday doesnt count thing, I understand the transfer cant happen on a sunday but if I buy on any other day I expect the gun that day next week (7 days later) and thats how Ive gotten it for the every regulated Ive bought in MD with the exception of one because I had bought my 2 in 60 days. I keep reading this 8 days thing and hearing people talk about beeing held up for weeks and weeks and my fear is that one day it will be the norm and I will go in to buy a gun and a month later I will be hearing that I cant get my handgun for some rediculous reason and someone just went a little overboard to CYA. Have my transfers just gone incredibly smooth every time and Ive been really lucky? or have all the dealers I bought from broken the law several times? I think im going on like 6 regulateds in MD now and Ive always thought it was a 7 day wait from when paperwork is submitted and one gun a month or 2 in 60 days and if the 7th day falls on a Sunday or a holiday it moves to the following day? Where am I wrong here?

Well thats the way it should be...7 days here it is. That would mean this friday I could get my Glock, but I believe 2 A submits their paperwork at night he told me. I dunno, Im not a dealer, I wish I was but I guess Im not fortunate to own my own buissness.

I dont think we have reached the primary cause though yet. Is it the dealer or the MSP?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    While the dealer is permitted to transfer the gun after the waiting period expires, it seems prudent on their part to wait until the paperwork is in hand. They have a license and a livelihood to protect, and I can't blame them for not wishing to get into a major hassle that will cost them plenty in attorney's fees even if they are in the right.

Anyway, I suspect that most of the folks who are chafing at the bit to get their hands on the new toy already have more than one firearm to play with in the meantime.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Just a suggestion, but has anyone tried contacting their state representatives about MSP taking more than the time required by law to do the checks? Pressure from the legislature tends to work wonders with them.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    While the dealer is permitted to transfer the gun after the waiting period expires, it seems prudent on their part to wait until the paperwork is in hand. They have a license and a livelihood to protect, and I can't blame them for not wishing to get into a major hassle that will cost them plenty in attorney's fees even if they are in the right.

Anyway, I suspect that most of the folks who are chafing at the bit to get their hands on the new toy already have more than one firearm to play with in the meantime.

Bob, I doubt anyone would mind an occasional burp or a delay if the paperwork was submitted around a holiday, like Christmas, where people people use vacation days and MSP might be short staffed.

The dealer and buyer must comply with the law. MSP also must comply. I bet right after September 11, 2001 MSP must have been a crazy place and all types of paperwork took longer. That one, I understand.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Bob, I doubt anyone would mind an occasional burp or a delay if the paperwork was submitted around a holiday, like Christmas, where people people use vacation days and MSP might be short staffed.

The dealer and buyer must comply with the law. MSP also must comply. I bet right after September 11, 2001 MSP must have been a crazy place and all types of paperwork took longer. That one, I understand.

You've got a very good point. We all must follow the law to a exact. They should be held to the same standards. Dealers i see make sure that everything is correct and perfect. The slightest mistake could result in a disapproved, atleast thats what im told. They need to be held to the same standards. If they are Marylands "finest", then they should be perfect, earn that title Troopers! (i in no way believe they are better then anyone else, especially not Firemen lol)

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    You've got a very good point. We all must follow the law to a exact. They should be held to the same standards. Dealers i see make sure that everything is correct and perfect. The slightest mistake could result in a disapproved, atleast thats what im told. They need to be held to the same standards. If they are Marylands "finest", then they should be perfect, earn that title Troopers! (i in no way believe they are better then anyone else, especially not Firemen lol)

TO ALL:

Be thankful this is "Maryland's Finest" handling this matter. Can you imagine if it was "Maryland's NOT Finest" taking care of this???:sad20:

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I have purchased three pistols at Bass Pro, and each time it was a ten day wait.

An individual transfer at a MSP barrack took them twenty days to process.

They don't seem to be in a hurry at MSP.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I purchased a Sig P238 from Bass Pro a week ago. Anyone purchase a regulated firearm recently? If so, how long did it take to get a response from the MSP? I know it says 7 days, but no one will release it until they get a response from them.

Thanks.

Just called to check on the status and still nothing. They said it can take up to 10 business days (excluding weekends) which would make it tomorrow. His comment was if I haven't heard back by Monday, I should call again. Hoping to have it for my birthday this weekend, but it's looking slim at best.

Probably going to be my first and last time using Bass Pro for a handgun purchase.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I am pretty sure MD law says eight days and weekends are included. A FFL can't for some reason transfer on a Sunday, but every transfer I have ever done has been eight total days, example, submit paperwork on 10/21, pick gun up 10/28. This has been from at least three different dealers.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I am pretty sure MD law says eight days and weekends are included. A FFL can't for some reason transfer on a Sunday, but every transfer I have ever done has been eight total days, example, submit paperwork on 10/21, pick gun up 10/28. This has been from at least three different dealers.

It's possible someone there reviews all of the paperwork before submitting to the MSP. He did say they won't transfer until they receive the paperwork back. I' just going to have to wait until Monday if I don't hear from them first.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    The supervisors at Bass Pro review the forms before they make their way to MSP and after the paperwork comes back not disapproved with signatures on the date of the weapon's transfer. One of the guys at the gun counter told me that MSP can be very strict on how the forms are filled out. In fact, I had to reprint information and initial/date because they didn't like the way I print.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I don't like waiting, but I just assumed it was part of the game. If you guys don't like it you should try NFA. My last MD approval took over three months. That was before I submitted the form 4 to the feds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom