• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I purchased a Sig P238 from Bass Pro a week ago. Anyone purchase a regulated firearm recently? If so, how long did it take to get a response from the MSP? I know it says 7 days, but no one will release it until they get a response from them.

Thanks.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The law is, on the 8th day, the FFL may releease the firearm to you.

Realworld, the FFL will not release the firearm, until the not-disapproved from the MSP is received.

If the FFL does not not have the approval on the 8th day, the FFL should be contacting the MSP for the approval. If the FFL has a wait and see attitude, get a new FFL.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Does your FFL use the fax system or do they mail the forms in?

I agree, if the shop doesn't have the answer, they can call and ask.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Does your FFL use the fax system or do they mail the forms in?

I agree, if the shop doesn't have the answer, they can call and ask.

I purchased from Bass Pro Shop at Arundel Mills. I don't know how they submit the paperwork. I'm going to stop in tomorrow and check.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Who do you call at the MSP to find out why your purchase release has not materialized in the approbate time?

Best to contact your FFL first. If they come up with a lame excuse, the FFL is the problem. The MSP has been good about results.

With that said, the FFL needs to ride herd. Sometimes the MSP wants to hold an entire list of sales, because one sale is questionable, even though the recipients are not the same.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    It shouldn't take more than 7 days. I bought a pistol from Bass Pro Shop on a Saturday a few months ago and they didn't submit the paperwork until the following Monday. It ended up taking 9 days instead of 7, because of this. If you bought your gun on a weekend, you might have had the same thing happen to you.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    tball, let me guess, corporate America. The general manager probably had to check the forms over before they could get sent in?

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Bought a handgun from Accurate Arms in St Marts and it was exactly 7 days. Signed initial papers on a Thursday(10/14) and picked it up the following Thursday (10/21)

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Mark at 2 A told me come in Saturday and pick it up. I did paperwork this past Friday.

The Cop Shop told me they were up to almost 14 days in waiting period. It was Jr. He said it was because they sold so many firearms that they couldnt submit all the paperwork in 1 day b/c MSP will bitch and complain. I dunno about that...

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Mark at 2 A told me come in Saturday and pick it up. I did paperwork this past Friday.

The Cop Shop told me they were up to almost 14 days in waiting period. It was Jr. He said it was because they sold so many firearms that they couldnt submit all the paperwork in 1 day b/c MSP will bitch and complain. I dunno about that...

So it took almost an extra week to submit the forms?

BTW, if MSP has told dealers that then we need another lawsuit against MSP. What will be their next excuse? The weather was so nice, too many officers called in using a personal day to go look at leaves?

This comment and one about the handgun board being overloaded show their system doesn't work. I am sure any three of us could figure out a system that would work better and with less cost.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

The MSP needs to meet the requirements of the law like the rest of us...

The complaining portion is just an excuse, contractors do the background checks.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    So it took almost an extra week to submit the forms?

BTW, if MSP has told dealers that then we need another lawsuit against MSP. What will be their next excuse? The weather was so nice, too many officers called in using a personal day to go look at leaves?

This comment and one about the handgun board being overloaded show their system doesn't work. I am sure any three of us could figure out a system that would work better and with less cost.

The MSP needs to meet the requirements of the law like the rest of us...

The complaining portion is just an excuse, contractors do the background checks.

Sounds like nonsense to me as well.

A lawsuit against MSP, will it go anywhere?

As for MSP meeting the requirements of the laws...you gotta start with them hanging up the phone while driving, making them do the speed limit...yeah theres alot more they gotta cover along with getting their nonsense straight with processing paperwork.

What if MSP is taking too long to process and on the 8th day the FFL releases the firearm to the buyer. Later, say the 11th day we find out the buyer is disapproved...then what? They go claim his weapon from his house?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

As for MSP meeting the requirements of the laws...you gotta start with them hanging up the phone while driving, making them do the speed limit...yeah theres alot more they gotta cover along with getting their nonsense straight with processing paperwork.

What if MSP is taking too long to process and on the 8th day the FFL releases the firearm to the buyer. Later, say the 11th day we find out the buyer is disapproved...then what? They go claim his weapon from his house?

SAF has a lawsuit already against MSP for carry permits. We will see.

As for talking on the phone while driving, most of those laws exempt police from them. I still want to know what magic a PD does to a recruit so their brains can multi task unlike mine.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

If the FFL wants to pass the buck, they will never get my money. If the FFL keeps the pressure on, so that all the requirements are satisfied, I will be a repeat customer.

I have several FFLs, that I will do anymore business with because they let the process dictate the timelines instead of the law.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    SAF has a lawsuit already against MSP for carry permits. We will see.

As for talking on the phone while driving, most of those laws exempt police from them. I still want to know what magic a PD does to a recruit so their brains can multi task unlike mine.

Really with carry permits?!!? Whats the breif explaintion of that lawsuit, if you dont mind?

Wow, lets makes laws convient for some...ok how about this...since they can do it, what about the old timers that did their training before cell phones were around. I believe they need to be retrained in order to be exempt. I know there are a few differences in EVOC that Police take and Fire Dept take, although I still dont see them using cell phones while training on the PIT or other extreme driving maneuvers. Since the basics are the same for EVOC, does that exempt me from this law? Probably not, I was issued the wrong shape badge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom