• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Let's do this thing!

My buddy Joe and I are riding at Patapsco Saturday at 10am. Join us at your own risk.

I park where the red arrow is. There are about 5-6 spots where the green arrow is and we enter at the yellow arrow. To find this map on google copy/pasts this: 5591 Landing Road, Elkridge, MD 21075

PM me for phone number exchange, or other things relating to this ride.

This is a Fun Ride...(not so much for Joe, since he hasn't ridden in about 3-4 months:lol2: ). No one will abandon. It's about an hour and a half ride...6-7 miles.

Doug

Attachments

• July 3 Ride.jpg
      July 3 Ride.jpg
      132.8 KB · Views: 142

Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    I'm planning for a 12-15 mile ride on Sunday morning - if I can shake free, I'll join you guys on Saturday, too! It won't take long at all to do 6 miles.

Cannon

Dec 10, 2009
    Baltimore
    Hmm, I might take a ride out there bikebreath. Thats my old stomping ground. Hope I can keep up on a rigid SS.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Sat at 10 is pretty iffy for me. Sunday morning is more likely but this weekend will be full of unexpected duties.

Sunday ride details? 195 park-n-ride? I haven't ridden Patapsco for months. Looking forward to it.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    There were some on here that were newbies and I wanted to keep it toned down and fun. Joe and I've done this this loop he calls, The Old Man Loop, in an hour.

@Apone---it sounds like you knock off something like this in half and hour.

@Cannon, don't worry yer pretty little head about keeping up...I'll be chasing you...

boatbiologist, hope your schedule works out...if not someone might pick up on your ride.

I've been riding mtb's for 20 years, but never gotten fast enough to get out of Beginner as far as speed. At the same time there are rocky sections I clean with ease.

I'll meet and ride with anyone that's at the trail head on Saturday, (yellow arrow)...and you can let me lead the ride from off the back like I've done so many times before...(woohoo, no spider webs in my face! :D )

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Seems I missed this thread. I have a Specialized Rockhoppper comp disk. I do the Rockville Millennium trail once a week. I also enjoy taking the capital crescent trail from Bethesda to DC and riding around the capital.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    been years since I really rode - competed a bit in highschool

my trick was riding 20 miles a day on a 40 pound huffy, practicing a smuch log jumping as I could then I'd go race on my 20 pound giant hardtail with minimal front suspension.

Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    I've got no problems taking it easy on Saturday morning. I'll go wherever you guys want to ride. Lead on!

As far as Sunday, Glock_45 and I will be meeting on the 2nd Landing Road entrance to the park at 9:00 a.m. If you look at the map and find the yellow arrow, the 2nd Landing Road spot is about a mile further west of that, right across the street from a very nice single-family home development. The Sunday ride will be a bit faster in pace, but we have no problems toning it down for beginner/intermediate riders. We will probably do 10-12 miles, though.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    What are you doing, Rockburn to Morning Choice?

Rockburn can be a tough ride for newbies...

We park at Rockburn for convenience and cut though to Patapsco...I think it is the Morning Choice Trail there at the yellow arrow. If it's tough we'll ride slower. If Rockburn is tough then what is Patapsco by comparison? Must be tougher...I think.

I forget what it was like to be a newbie.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    Can you still enter the trails from the park and ride at the end of 195? It has been years since I have been down there.

Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    Rockburn is very easy. I take my 5-year old there to ride. Patapsco is intermediate to expert, depending on where you ride. The good thing about Patapsco is -there is usually an easy to intermediate route to get to wherever you want to go. If you take the wrong trail though - you could be in for a rough ride.

Yes - you can still enter the trails from the Park and Ride. I prefer landing road, simply because I like to take on the Baltimore County side after I've had 4 or 5 miles to warm up. The climbs on the Baltimore side are a bit steeper.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Hey guys,

With in-laws in town I won't be available to ride this weekend (holiday and all). However, I would like to learn some other parks, so I'd love to get together in the not-too-distant future for another group ride for beginner/intermediates at Rockburn or Patapsco. I will be going to Schaeffer Farms tomorrow with a friend, and am also breaking in a true newbie from work at Loch Raven/Seminary, hopefully Friday AM. Will try to get a Monday ride in somewhere as well, before back to work (summer school) on Tuesday.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    Not a big ride, but a real nice one!

Apone, Cannon, my buddy Joe and I did the small loop and it took just under and hour and a half. Real nice meeting you guys!

My bud Joe took the only real fall in a turn with roots. Cannon did great on the SS for not riding much and Apone is hammer-head, disguised today as an intermediate rider.

Hogarth, you're gonna get mixed up with us eventually...hang tough, enjoy the family and have a great 4th:patriot:

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    i used to be into it a lot, but have let it lapse a bit over the last year. I have a Rocky Mountain trailhead. Great bike, just what i need

I usually rode out at Schaffer farms and Patapsco state park.

Anyone looking for a riding buddy shoot me a PM. I need to get my ass back in shape and my only other friend that rides is buried in work

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Not a big ride, but a real nice one!

Apone, Cannon, my buddy Joe and I did the small loop and it took just under and hour and a half. Real nice meeting you guys!

My bud Joe took the only real fall in a turn with roots. Cannon did great on the SS for not riding much and Apone is hammer-head, disguised today as an intermediate rider.

Hogarth, you're gonna get mixed up with us eventually...hang tough, enjoy the family and have a great 4th:patriot:

Thanks. I'll make it there soon.

The good thing is that I got a ride in at Schaffer, my first ever there, on Thursday. Great ride. Did the yellow route in the AM, went back to the car for lunch, then did the white route after lunch. After that, we went back and did the yellow with some orange and blue mixed in. Schaeffer was definitely my speed, with a little of everything, though no really serious climbs (Loch Raven definitely has more climbs). But it's a well-kept trail system and the maps/markings are excellent. I also took a woman I know from work biking up at Loch Raven-Seminary on Friday AM, just for an hour or so. She's used to basic trail riding (like NCR type stuff), not mtn biking. She didn't have her cardio up where it needs to be, but damn! she had no fear of logs, streams, etc. She took all the ones I do.

I might try to do Seminary Sunday AM or maybe Monday. Then back to work Tuesday (teacher....Summer school!), but plan to do a lot of after-work rides up there during the summer term. In August I must go back to Schaeffer and to Allegrippis (Raystown Lake), as both are just so cool.

We'll hook up at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom