• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    I've been reading through this thread and have a question. So you guys from Maryland are getting permits from Fl as non residents? I was looking and Md doesn't accept Fl permits.

That is true. But with a FLA permit, you can carry in all the adjacent states.

t3tech

Oct 15, 2007
    Elkton
    That is true. But with a FLA permit, you can carry in all the adjacent states.

I'm right on the border, so I could drive right into DE and carry with a FLA permit. The app process for FLA is much easier than DE. :) That is if I ever get around to sending my app in. :D

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    What are the specific mental health questions on the FL form? Is it the usual stuff like when buying a gun, or are they more specific? They don't ask for up your ass private records do they?

t3tech

Oct 15, 2007
    Elkton
    What are the specific mental health questions on the FL form? Is it the usual stuff like when buying a gun, or are they more specific? They don't ask for up your ass private records do they?

Have you ever been ajudicated incapacitated, commited to a mental institution, or adjudicated mentally defective?

The related instruction states:
    If you have been ajudicated incompetent under Section 744.331, Fl. Statutes, or similar laws of any other state; commited to a mental institution under Chapter 394, FL Statutes, or similar laws of any other state; or ajudicated mentally defective in any court, you are not eligible for licensure unless you have received federal relief from disabilities.

I'm pretty sure that's the only question. I just did a quick glance over it though.
    So, as I read it, basically any court ordered commital is a disqualification except in the case of federal relief. Private counsel or self commital would seem to be irrelevant.

I recently grabbed a PA permit. While I realize that PA, according to their AG's office, will honor the FL non-res - apparently the rank and file on the beat guys haven't fully gotten the word and a few guys got pinched in PA on FL non-res permits. They are OK now but, it's a bit of a mess to clean up.

The upside to the PA permit is that its like $26 and looks liike it came from a cracker jack box (no pic) down side to the PA permit is that they will only issue one to applicants that have a ccw in their state of residence.

My $.02 for using the FL in PA or anywhere else is try to carry the page from the state's AG office internet site that shows the reciprocity. In many cases it's one sheet of paper and can be folded up and put in your wallet when the need to travel arises. That way with the url info on the bottom the LEO can verify on the spot and avoid an embarassing situation.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I recently grabbed a PA permit. While I realize that PA, according to their AG's office, will honor the FL non-res - apparently the rank and file on the beat guys haven't fully gotten the word and a few guys got pinched in PA on FL non-res permits. They are OK now but, it's a bit of a mess to clean up.

The upside to the PA permit is that its like $26 and looks liike it came from a cracker jack box (no pic) down side to the PA permit is that they will only issue one to applicants that have a ccw in their state of residence.

My $.02 for using the FL in PA or anywhere else is try to carry the page from the state's AG office internet site that shows the reciprocity. In many cases it's one sheet of paper and can be folded up and put in your wallet when the need to travel arises. That way with the url info on the bottom the LEO can verify on the spot and avoid an embarassing situation.

How did you get a PA permit? The word around here is that they will not issue to MD residents unless you currently possess a MD carry permit (yeah right)

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA

That is good advise about carrying a letter from the AG. I carry copies of the AG letter from every state I travel to for just that purpose.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    That is good advise about carrying a letter from the AG. I carry copies of the AG letter from every state I travel to for just that purpose.
    Yup, same here.

I have a file folder in the truck at all times, full of printouts from each reciprocity agreement/AG reference . . whatever most clearly and officially demonstrates that I am both within my rights and abiding by local law in case of a traffic stop or shoot.

thebrotha167

Dec 27, 2007
    Wyomissing, PA
    How long to get florida CCW?

Hi all,
    I just applied for my florida CCW and sent in the app on 12/19/2007. How long, in peoples' experience, has it taken to receive the permit. I know the site says up to 90 days, but I wanted to know, if anyone who has recently applied in the past year or so, the amount of time that it took to receive the permit in the mail, and what, if any problems were encountered in this process.

Thanks

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Hi all,
    I just applied for my florida CCW and sent in the app on 12/19/2007. How long, in peoples' experience, has it taken to receive the permit. I know the site says up to 90 days, but I wanted to know, if anyone who has recently applied in the past year or so, the amount of time that it took to receive the permit in the mail, and what, if any problems were encountered in this process.

Thanks

Welcome! I applied in Nov. and received my license in about 30 days, no problems encountered. Hope you sent a money order as a personal check may take it a bit longer.

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD
    They are fairly quick it all depends on how long the FBI takes to return the fingerprint cards back to Florida. Mine took about 90 days from start to finish

thebrotha167

Dec 27, 2007
    Wyomissing, PA
    They are fairly quick it all depends on how long the FBI takes to return the fingerprint cards back to Florida. Mine took about 90 days from start to finish

So it seems to me from what I have been reading, this is the slowest part of the process. A system can only work as fast as the slowest component- the FBI fingerprint check.

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    Hi all,

Thanks

I got mine a little over a week ago. It took 35 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom