• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I've been told that Beretta gave the MSP the Px4 Storm for free in exchange for their old 96D's that everyone has seen on the shelves at local gun shops. I'm sure the one I have was probably a MSP pistol.

IMG_0100.jpg

Yup, looks just like the 96D I have in the safe being transferred to a local MSP officer. It was his service pistol until the Storm. All theofficers I have spoke with don't like the Storms as well as the 96Ds they had. A real mix on the shore for service weapons. A few departments use the Storm, local county uses Sigs, and there are some Glocks in other local departments.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    MSP carries Beretta 96D now and they are transitioning to the Px4 Storm. The Baltimore Police carry some form of .40 Glock

That clears THAT up. When I was at court, I was trying to figure out what kind of gun the trooper was carrying. At first I thought it might be a M&P but at second-glance I kinda thought Px4.

I wonder if it makes them nervous when I stare at their guns. :innocent0

FBI is Glock....ICE is 229DAK

FBI - Can vary, I know some agents who still have the P228.
    ICE - Some carry the P226/229DAK and the HK USP Compact (all the agents I know have the HK).

Now my local buddies...OCPD
    Seasonal - Variety Mix of S&W .357
    Patrol - Sig Pro 2340
    Command/Plain Clothes - Sig P239 (in .40 S&W)
    QRT Members - Sig P220

EDITED: Forgot, the officers in Ocean Pines carry the Glock 22. I don't know what else they may carry.

Last edited:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    AA County carries the standard SIG P229 in .40 but is transitioning to the 229 SRT or 229 DAK depending upon individual officer preference.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    All I can add for the Feds is that a few years ago, everyone got all excited about the .357Sig, a few agencies switched to it. Most that I know of have switched away again.

jwalker3181

Aspiring Zombie Hunter
    Sep 14, 2008
    Baltimore
    That clears THAT up. When I was at court, I was trying to figure out what kind of gun the trooper was carrying. At first I thought it might be a M&P but at second-glance I kinda thought Px4.

I'm not sure about MSP but BPD gets kind of jittery when you ask them about their guns, like it's a city secret, I was in the cop shop downtown one day and asked a BPD Officer how he liked carrying the Glock and he even took a step back before he dodged the question. Stuff like that happens I guess some LEOs just don't like talking to us civilians about their firearms

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I'm not sure about MSP but BPD gets kind of jittery when you ask them about their guns, like it's a city secret, I was in the cop shop downtown one day and asked a BPD Officer how he liked carrying the Glock and he even took a step back before he dodged the question. Stuff like that happens I guess some LEOs just don't like talking to us civilians about their firearms

We are firearm enthusiests......the knowledge on this forum just blows my mind and i'm greatful this forum exists.

You gotta remember to some LEO its a gun and a tool of the profession. THey don't know the difference between a Glock and a Beretta. Do you like to talk about topics you don't know much about.

I do beleieve its important to know about issued firearm but not the extent of the enthusiests like us. I guess that why they call us "gun nuts" I really hate that expression. I like being called an "enthusiest"

Yes...Unless you're an 8 year old who extremely curious and asks "What is that?" police officers are trained to protect their firearms at all costs. To a firearm enthusiests like ourselves we're thinking....Wow I wonder if that's a 9mm or 40 cal. but to a police officer what is going through their mind is "I wondering if this guy is trying to figure how to defeat the holster retention." Use common sense....you would do the same if you open carried.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Secret service carries 357 huh? Maybe I should take another look at them. I've never fired one.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Yes...Unless you're an 8 year old who extremely curious and asks "What is that?" police officers are trained to protect their firearms at all costs. To a firearm enthusiests like ourselves we're thinking....Wow I wonder if that's a 9mm or 40 cal. but to a police officer what is going through their mind is "I wondering if this guy is trying to figure how to defeat the holster retention." Use common sense....you would do the same if you open carried.

:thumbsup:I agree 100%. In our weapons retention class, we teach our oficers to be cognizant of their surroundings and aware of suspicious stares especially at their weapons. One of the biggist worries of an officer carrying a weapon is someone trying to take it away when they are distracted or otherwise involved.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I agree with fivepointstar. Most police officers know little about firearms and even the regs that go with them. and when someone is talking over there head they start to think this is a gun nut and think we are out to shoot up the town.

I was talking with a younger police officer about hunting and I told him that I use my handguns for hunting. He told me that I can not use a handgun for hunting and if he saw me trying to he would have to arrest me.

I went out to my truck and got a copy of MD hunting regs and showed him the section about weapons and I had the section about handguns highlighted and read them and then learned something.He could not dispute the facts that where in print from state produced booklet.

I have a few other stories about dealing with police officers that have no idea about firearms.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I agree with fivepointstar. Most police officers know little about firearms and even the regs that go with them. and when someone is talking over there head they start to think this is a gun nut and think we are out to shoot up the town.

I was talking with a younger police officer about hunting and I told him that I use my handguns for hunting. He told me that I can not use a handgun for hunting and if he saw me trying to he would have to arrest me.

I went out to my truck and got a copy of MD hunting regs and showed him the section about weapons and I had the section about handguns highlighted and read them and then learned something.He could not dispute the facts that where in print from state produced booklet.

I have a few other stories about dealing with police officers that have no idea about firearms.

A lot of Street Police Officer no nothing about hunting regulations...NOTHING!!!!

Handgun violations are far in few other than concealled deadly weapon and using a handgun in the commission of a felony. Other than that.....they know very little about handgun code. When it comes to hunting.....they should refer the question to DNR police who enforce hunting code.

Police officers are "jack of all trades but masters of NONE!!"

That being said, I don't doubt most of us here can out quote the handgun codes when they have to know about 50K Traffic Code and 20K Criminal Codes and 1K local codes. who can claim to be an expert???

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Secret service carries 357 huh? Maybe I should take another look at them. I've never fired one.

Don't ever assume that just because a PD carries it, that it's a great system. A department has to weigh a lot of factors to include ease of training a broad group of people, ease/ cost of weapon maintenence and who can get them a good deal on the weapon. As RobMoore points out, they also have an ammo budget that private citizens can only dream of.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    the 7.62x25 and 30 mauser are not bad rounds. I had a 30 mauser and I can tell you it has penetration power. The handgun is it's biggies downfall most are not very accurate.

Aug 19, 2008
    Baltimore County carry SIG 2340's

ICE carry 229's in 40, they were carrying 226's in 357 SIG but switched about a year ago.

Baltimore City carry G22's

USSS carry 229's in 357 SIG

DGS carry 96D's for now, either G22's or PX4's will be replacing them s
    oon

Transit carry 2340's or Glocks, have seen both in holsters.

Rockville City PD carry Sig 226 9mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom