• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    I've been shooting semi-auto pistols, rifles for a long time and fully automatic weapons in the Army for twenty years. I've used Motor Oil and GAA (Grease Artillery and Automotive) on Army weapons. With my personal Semi-Auto weapons, I use Mobil 1 0w40 and when shooting I put a light coat of STP oil additive on the bolt carrier group. Does anyone else use motor oil on your weapons?

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Yes. Pretty much everyone here who is either a student or a fan of Clandestine. Myself included. Mobil 1 15-30 on the bolt (BCG), trigger and firing parts, and Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease for all the bearing parts (slides, etc.), and I use a Boeing aerospace product for the inside of the bore.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would stop using the STP.

Mobil 1 for oil. Mobil 1 grease for grease.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    We had a malfunctioning Sig carbine at AGC the other day. The BCG was too dry. Popped out the eyedropper bottle of Mobil One and we were back on track in a minute.

Save any empty eyedropper bottles that contained eyedrops...wash them out thoroughly and dry them thoroughly...then fill 'em up with Mobil One.

I have one in every gun case.

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    Yes. Pretty much everyone here who is either a student or a fan of Clandestine. Myself included. Mobil 1 15-30 on the bolt (BCG), trigger and firing parts, and Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease for all the bearing parts (slides, etc.), and I use a Boeing aerospace product for the inside of the bore.

Where can I buy some Boeing aerospace product?

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    We had a malfunctioning Sig carbine at AGC the other day. The BCG was too dry. Popped out the eyedropper bottle of Mobil One and we were back on track in a minute.

Save any empty eyedropper bottles that contained eyedrops...wash them out thoroughly and dry them thoroughly...then fill 'em up with Mobil One.

I have one in every gun case.

Thanks, Glad to hear that I'm not the only one using it.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Where can I buy some Boeing aerospace product?

I started using it several decades ago on boats, and it seems to work well for me on firearms, too: Boeshield T-9

Maybe I misrepresented it as a current aerospace product, but I'm let to believe that was its origin.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Motor oil is for motors. I guess it will work short term but I really don't see the point. Are you just trying to save a few pennies on maintenance for a firearm you potentially paid 100's or even 1000's of dollars for? Why?? Just use CLP or Swiss automatenfett. Both are superior to motor oil on firearms and that's what they were designed for. I know of no first class military that issues motor oil to their troops. "Nah, you don't need anything special. Just head on over to the motor pool. Those guys will set you right up." The mere thought of it is just plain silly. They issue motor oil to the motor pool and weapon oil to the troops.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Motor oil is for motors. I guess it will work but I really don't see the point. Are you just trying to save a few pennies on maintenance for a firearm you potentially paid 100's or even 1000's of dollars for? Why?? Just use CLP or Swiss automatenfett. Both are superior to motor oil on firearms and that's what they were designed for.

Agreed! CLP is all i use,zero malfunctions when applied :D

planktonadbc

Jun 20, 2013
    Harpers Ferry
    Both my grandfathers were in WW2, they would use the bearing grease, not the motor oil. I use the red Mobil 1 synthetic grease when I need grease on my firearms mostly C&R. I like to use a thin, finger coat on where AR15 bolt/upper silde metal to metal contact. Etc. I use CLP for everything else. I noticed my Glock from the factory has a bit of the copper grease.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Agreed! All I ever used was CLP (BreakFree) in the military. Every rifle I was issued had a small bottle of the stuff in the stock. I use it today, zero malfunctions when applied and I don't see the need to run the risk to void a warranty. If is was a survival situation, I would more than likely use a motor oil. But I see no need to do it now.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Motor oil is for motors. I guess it will work short term but I really don't see the point. Are you just trying to save a few pennies on maintenance for a firearm you potentially paid 100's or even 1000's of dollars for? Why?? Just use CLP or Swiss automatenfett. Both are superior to motor oil on firearms and that's what they were designed for. I know of no first class military that issues motor oil to their troops. "Nah, you don't need anything special. Just head on over to the motor pool. Those guys will set you right up." The mere thought of it is just plain silly. They issue motor oil to the motor pool and weapon oil to the troops.

So you would rather pay more for inferior lube? Good for you.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Agreed! All I ever used was CLP (BreakFree) in the military. Every rifle I was issued had a small bottle of the stuff in the stock. I use it today, zero malfunctions when applied and I don't see the need to run the risk to void a warranty. If is was a survival situation, I would more than likely use a motor oil. But I see no need to do it now.

How would you run the risk of voiding the warranty by using Mobil 1 grease or oil? Neither one is going to hurt a firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

:thumbsup: Motor oil is designed to be hygroscopic, basically additives allow it to trap moisture and suspend it. Not a big deal if it is in an engine that will be heated past water's boiling point frequently, and long enough to release the moisture in the form of vapor. It's a bad property as it saturates to form an emulsion, then forms free moisture under the oil film along with acidification and corrosion. Most contain toxic benzene additive compounds and the additive package usually has little resistance to oxidation in the open. Might be an OK lubricant, definitely cheap, but it does have a serious drawback that other types of hydrophobic oils don't. Most gun oils and mil-spec CLP have a lot in common with food-grade light machine oil, high barrier lubrication, high corrosion protection, low volatility, stable across a broad temperature range, goodoxidation protection, and non-toxic.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    :thumbsup: Motor oil is designed to be hygroscopic, basically additives allow it to trap moisture and suspend it. Not a big deal if it is in an engine that will be heated past water's boiling point frequently, and long enough to release the moisture in the form of vapor. It's a bad property as it saturates to form an emulsion, then forms free moisture under the oil film along with acidification and corrosion. Most contain toxic benzene additive compounds and the additive package usually has little resistance to oxidation in the open. Might be an OK lubricant, definitely cheap, but it does have a serious drawback that other types of hydrophobic oils don't. Most gun oils and mil-spec CLP have a lot in common with food-grade light machine oil, high barrier lubrication, high corrosion protection, low volatility, stable across a broad temperature range, goodoxidation protection, and non-toxic.

For storage that might be a valid argument but any lube is mediocre. Even in storage situations, it has been proven that motor oil actually does a pretty good job of protecting exposed metal. I've seen engines opened up after 30 years that had no rust where oil was in contact with the metal. It is the metal that didn't have the protection that had the issue. The issue you'll have with machine oil and CLP is that they will burn off quicker than motor oil.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that not one member here has used motor oil as a lube and experienced rust. I'll bet the same for CLP or machine oil. Please leave toxicity out of the conversation. All lube becomes toxic once a gun is fired. Plenty of things in our home/shop that are far more toxic than anything gun related.

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland

I would love to see your data on hodrophobic and hydrophilic oils during short term use at a ranges relative humidity and in a humidity controlled storage safes. I am always willing to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom