• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turbogrimace

Jan 21, 2014
    northern maryland
    I pre-ordered the g19 frame and bought the rest of the parts from a few different places. All said and done, I'm at 684 with a zev match barrel, oem slide, and lone wolf lower kit with extended goodies. Thats nearly the same or better than buying a gen 3 g19 and doing all the upgrades after. And the grip on this one actually looks like it might be comfortable. Well see. I like that it has some of the fun little frame mods already incorporated, such as accelerator ramps, and trigger guard relief.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I'm waiting till I can hold it in my hands, after the first one they did feeling like a 2x4...... if not more ergonomic then I'm gonna pass.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Put mine thru a bowling pin match today. 0 Malfunctions (FTF/FTE/OOB). Had 1 incident where the slide lock stuck while trying to slingshot, turned out be a mag issue.

16976581_10212372433735348_1708467321_n.jpg

The grip is definitely blocky, so I wound up doing a frame reduction and some light stippling last night. Then promptly sanded down some of the more aggressively textured areas to make it more livable when firing.

17006113_10212389093231825_475806286_n.jpg

All in all, took 40 minutes to complete the frame, about an hour and a half for the reduction/stippling. Rough total cost - under $630 for a G31 with some Lone Wolf add-ons.

The bitch runs like it has warrants. I'm pleased with it.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    The grip is definitely blocky, so I wound up doing a frame reduction and some light stippling last night. Then promptly sanded down some of the more aggressively textured areas to make it more livable when firing.

The bitch runs like it has warrants. I'm pleased with it.

I'd have to say I'm pretty pleased with mine as well, although it presented some technical challenges along the way, it was well worth the effort, and it runs like a scalded dog now.

I've got a Burris Fastfire 3 with an Evolution Gun Works dovetail mount sitting on it. Anybody who is considering a dovetail mount for a Glock or other handgun... don't waste your time with a cheap dovetail mounts like the Sightmark or equivalent, get a quality one piece mount like the EGW, they cost only about $50 and are available for a wide range of guns. Don't waste time on and money on a low end mini red dot either, expect to shell out at least $200 for one that won't shut off after every 3rd shot.

The target shown was fired standing with a two handed grip @ 35 feet, and I'm quite satisfied with the accuracy.

As for the blocky grip, yes it is a bit blocky, but no more so than my G21 for example, and I actually like the ergonomics of this grip very much.

BTW, nice job on the stippling, it looks great,:D

Attachments

• DSCF1832.jpg
      DSCF1832.jpg
      75.6 KB · Views: 638
    • DSCF1833.jpg
      DSCF1833.jpg
      60.5 KB · Views: 634

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I've always hated how locks feel. One of the selling points for me with the 80% is the 1911 grip style. From what I'm hearing from you guys, the ergonomics still suck?

Is there any chance of getting to see/fire one of these? I'm a member of AGC and frequent Freestate alot. Ammo would be on me! I'm looking towards a basic 17 (that's full size 9mm correct?)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Well, it's dead. Exactly 151 rounds spent. Right rear rail sheared off, and it went cyclic (very close to G18 rate of fire), which was unexpected - but enjoyable, if I'm honest. Hell, even kept it on the paper.

17016102_10212397091791784_7538161508319051568_o.jpg

16904633_10212397191594279_977789792580450173_o.jpg

Photo's sent in to Poly80, I don't really care if they replace it or not.

I got to shoot a machine pistol like a fvcking boss, no one was injured, all that matters to me. :)

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Well, it's dead. Exactly 151 rounds spent. Right rear rail sheared off, and it went cyclic (very close to G18 rate of fire), which was unexpected - but enjoyable, if I'm honest. Hell, even kept it on the paper.

View attachment 199148

View attachment 199149

I got to shoot a machine pistol like a fvcking boss, no one was injured, all that matters to me. :)
    LOL awesome. I will be waiting until thorough testing is done on the new G19 version with metal rear rails.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    LOL awesome. I will be waiting until thorough testing is done on the new G19 version with metal rear rails.

If I can't break something within a week of getting it, just wait... :D

1 bowling pin match, 1 range trip. I think that's a new record for me.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Exactly 151 rounds spent. Right rear rail sheared off, and it went cyclic

After you built this and before you took it out to shoot for the first time did you check the sear engagement...?? The reason I ask is because if this was one of those "early" frames with the loose fitting cavity for the trigger housing mechanism, the trigger housing will tend to sit low in the frame and sear engagement can get sketchy on you real quick.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    After you built this and before you took it out to shoot for the first time did you check the sear engagement...?? The reason I ask is because if this was one of those "early" frames with the loose fitting cavity for the trigger housing mechanism, the trigger housing will tend to sit low in the frame and sear engagement can get sketchy on you real quick.

All I could say is, trigger had issues before the trigger housing block got shimmed - lack of reset, no release until almost full travel was reached, shim took care of that issue.

I'd had no issue 'shooting from reset', or any real issues at all - until the later part of todays range trip when it started doubling and then went cyclic on me. The right rear rail shearing off definitely doesn't help any.

If sear engagement is an issue if the block sits too low, then I imagine it'd be the same if the slide is riding high due to a failing rail.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    If sear engagement is an issue if the block sits too low, then I imagine it'd be the same if the slide is riding high due to a failing rail.

Indeed it could be. There are a lot of different thing that come in to play here, it's difficult to say exactly what went south in your case. All I can tell you is I've put at least twice (you said about 150 rds.) as many rounds of .40 thru mine, and I can see no evidence that the slide is wearing on the polymer rails, I looked at these very closely with a magnifier after milling out the frame, and again after each shooting session, and there is no appreciable wear on them that I can see. Now, the metal locking block rails that came with the frame are a different story, there is some minor wear on the top surface and sides of these, but nothing I would be concerned about from an "excessive wear" standpoint. Only time will tell, it could fall apart tomorrow and go full tilt boogie like your's did, but I'll be keeping a close eye on things like wear patterns and sear engagement etc., that's for sure. For those people that are concerned about the longevity of these builds, I've said it before, each one of these things is unique, they are not factory built frames that are guaranteed to last XX number of thousands of rounds before wearing out or failing, so if you want a factory gun buy one, but if you enjoy a challenge and want to learn a lot about how these things tick at the most intricate levels, then an 80% Glock project can be a satisfying experience.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

Sorry to hear that.

Well that solved it, not going through 80% route. Seems these fail sooner than later.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Exactly 151 rounds, 125gr FMJ .357 SIG. 1 Federal, the rest were Sig brand. I had the rails greased noticeably, so if it was chewing them up, it wasn't apparent to me.

In no way am I upset about this, it's a home build - I expected there to be issues of some kind. Hell, I'm still more amped up from having it go cyclic - and still keeping a halfway decent group at 7 yards.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Sorry to hear that.

Well that solved it, not going through 80% route. Seems these fail sooner than later.

My experience is just that, mine. Others have had great luck and have FAR more rounds thru theirs w/out issue.

I wouldn't write off an 80% build, I'd just say if my experience plants a seed of doubt, then go for the compact frame with the steel rails (front and rear).

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    In no way am I upset about this, it's a home build - I expected there to be issues of some kind..

Well you've cetainly got the right attitude and mindset for a build like this, and considering that you've already been in touch with them because this was an "early" frame, and they instructed you to "build it and see what happens", well we've seen what happened, so at the very least they should be sending you a new frame, and perhaps you could even convince them to "upgrade" you to the new compact frame, worst they can say is no, and you should still get a replacement one way or another. My compact frame is arriving either today or tomorrow, dunno exactly when I'll get around to milling it, but probably in the near future, and I'll post some pics and my impressions sometime afterwards.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Well you've cetainly got the right attitude and mindset for a build like this, and considering that you've already been in touch with them because this was an "early" frame, and they instructed you to "build it and see what happens", well we've seen what happened, so at the very least they should be sending you a new frame, and perhaps you could even convince them to "upgrade" you to the new compact frame, worst they can say is no, and you should still get a replacement one way or another. My compact frame is arriving either today or tomorrow, dunno exactly when I'll get around to milling it, but probably in the near future, and I'll post some pics and my impressions sometime afterwards.

After doing AR and AK builds, you learn to embrace Murphy's Law - before it embraces you.

The only downside to the possibility of getting upgraded to the compact frame, that I can think of, is that my G31 slide assembly and mags have to go to the wayside.

I expect a call-back in about an hour or so, so we'll see how this all plays out. Worst case scenario - it was a $630 learning experience, and .9 to 1.2 seconds of shooting a .357SIG machine-pistol like a fvcking boss. :D

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    After doing AR and AK builds, you learn to embrace Murphy's Law - before it embraces you.

The only downside to the possibility of getting upgraded to the compact frame, that I can think of, is that my G31 slide assembly and mags have to go to the wayside.

I expect a call-back in about an hour or so, so we'll see how this all plays out. Worst case scenario - it was a $630 learning experience, and .9 to 1.2 seconds of shooting a .357SIG machine-pistol like a fvcking boss. :D

Lone Wolf makes a spacer to let you run a full size slide on a compact frame.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    On the plus side, you can always pickup a genuine stripped Glock frame on Gunbroker. They can be found for less than $100 plus xfer fees. I have no idea whether you will need a HQL or not - that subject seems to bring up quite a discussion since a frame is not a pistol.

Here's a Glock 22 frame for $85 ($65 + $20 shipping):
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/619669827

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    On the plus side, you can always pickup a genuine stripped Glock frame on Gunbroker. They can be found for less than $100 plus xfer fees. I have no idea whether you will need a HQL or not - that subject seems to bring up quite a discussion since a frame is not a pistol.

Here's a Glock 22 frame for $85 ($65 + $20 shipping):
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/619669827

Yes, you absolutely do need an HQL, and you still need to go thru the regular 77R application process. Under federal law a pistol frame is a firearm, stripped or not, and there's no getting around that. That's why every seller on GB that's selling stripped Glock frames requires an FFL before they'll ship it anywhere. A Glock pistol frame equals a gun, I know, I know, it's just a piece of plastic, but that's the reality of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom