• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    Decided to go with the Maxus. The golden clays model was hard to find, but finally got it for a good price from TX. 30" barrel. Can't wait to get out to shoot some clays. Beautiful gun.

Attachments

• 20141122_133822.jpg
      20141122_133822.jpg
      96.2 KB · Views: 4,512
    • 20141122_133838.jpg
      20141122_133838.jpg
      91.8 KB · Views: 2,169
    • 20141122_133831.jpg
      20141122_133831.jpg
      78.7 KB · Views: 1,969

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Good gun. I had one, it handled my 7/8 ounce reloads reliably in the amount of time I shot with it.

My only gripe on the model Maxus I had was the bright fiber optic front sight.

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    Good gun. I had one, it handled my 7/8 ounce reloads reliably in the amount of time I shot with it.

That's good to know about the 7/8 loads. Thanks. I sold my over under to reduce felt recoil. Considered the Beretta Xcel but didn't like the blue receiver. I'm used to the fiber optic sights.

You're going to love that gun.
    Looking forward to shooting it, hopefully soon.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA

I love the fiber optic sights on my Brownings. However, they do have plain white pins that are very easy to change out.

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    Very nice. I really enjoyed shooting that when a friend of mine bought one. You will love it.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I have the maxus hunter, have used it for a few seasons now and have had zero problems. Easy to take down and clean all and all a good platform.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Wow, that's a real looker! I've heard nothing but good things about the Maxus and Browning quality is unimpeachable. Enjoy!

Most of my guns have a white front bead, but I like the couple I have w/ hi-viz. While its popular to parrot the "never look at your barrel" mantra, the reality is that you do track your muzzle peripherally and a hi-viz bead can really help under certain circumstances. Conversely, when first using one you have to be wary of that big green dot drawing your eyes away from the target.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Funny, I had the best luck in teaching people by REMOVING the bead.

And one of the first things taught in instructing is how to tell when the student looks at the bead. The gun stops moving everytime you look at it. :)

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Different flavors of kool aid. I've found that my preference and scores (60-79%) on the "easy" recreational sporting clay courses in about a 200 mile radius of Harford County work best with just a white, 3/32" diameter bead on my Browning.

If I ever started getting in the 80/90%, I'd probably find another hobby. I don't have time or interest in competition level targets - I barely have time for recreational weekend fun!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Different flavors of kool aid. I've found that my preference and scores (60-79%) on the "easy" recreational sporting clay courses in about a 200 mile radius of Harford County work best with just a white, 3/32" diameter bead on my Browning.

If I ever started getting in the 80/90%, I'd probably find another hobby. I don't have time or interest in competition level targets - I barely have time for recreational weekend fun!

Yeah, I usually shoot in the 40's with sporting clays, which would put me at the 80%+ level. However, I have no desire to get into another hobby. lol

The front bead on shotguns really isn't there to help with target acquisition. About the only time I actually focus on the front bead is when I mount the gun while shooting trap or skeet, or when I practice mounting the gun. In those situations, I make sure the mid bead and end bead line up. When I am shooting sporting clays or hunting, I don't even pay attention to the bead.

With all that said, I replaced every bead on every shotgun of mine with a red fiber optic bead because I really liked the one that came with my Teknys.

I am about to replace all the front sights on my Sig handguns with a green fiber optic sight. Now there, I do pay attention to the three beads because it is completely different. The gun with the green fiber optic front sight just works so much better for me versus three white dots.

Heck, shot my first two pheasants with a Browning A-5 with no bead on the barrel back in the 70's.

relco86

Aug 6, 2011
    Moco
    Yeah, I usually shoot in the 40's with sporting clays, which would put me at the 80%+ level. However, I have no desire to get into another hobby. lol

The front bead on shotguns really isn't there to help with target acquisition. About the only time I actually focus on the front bead is when I mount the gun while shooting trap or skeet, or when I practice mounting the gun. In those situations, I make sure the mid bead and end bead line up. When I am shooting sporting clays or hunting, I don't even pay attention to the bead.

With all that said, I replaced every bead on every shotgun of mine with a red fiber optic bead because I really liked the one that came with my Teknys.

I am about to replace all the front sights on my Sig handguns with a green fiber optic sight. Now there, I do pay attention to the three beads because it is completely different. The gun with the green fiber optic front sight just works so much better for me versus three white dots.

Heck, shot my first two pheasants with a Browning A-5 with no bead on the barrel back in the 70's.

Where do you order your sights fabs? I have been thinking about replacing my sigs as well and haven't been too pleased at what i have seen on the market lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom